What's new

Tip for Washing out Murry's Pomade

I've heard of other people having issues washing it out so I wanted to let you know what I do. I use a good conditioner (I've had success with TRESemmé) after a shampoo and the stuff comes right out. I've also heard of people using a combination of olive oil then washing out with dish washing detergent (like dawn, any that fights grease). I'd try the conditioner first.

I used to use DAX and the only thing that would get it out was a good solid 5-6 lather, rinse, repeat cycles. Plus I kept a dax head only towel to help squeeze it out.

I have used the olive oil then dish soap method for a while.
These days I use Goop hand cleaner. Just work a bunch of it into dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and wash it out and shampoo as normal.
http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

I really only wash it all out before going to the barber shop and just leave it in every other day though.

I have used the olive oil then dish soap method for a while.
These days I use Goop hand cleaner. Just work a bunch of it into dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and wash it out and shampoo as normal.
http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

I really only wash it all out before going to the barber shop and just leave it in every other day though.

Does the Goop handcleaner dry your hair out very bad?? Seems like it would be harsh. Now that I'm beginning to get a long pomp again, I've started using Royal Crown to get the really greasy shine and it is so hard to get out of my hair, and water just runs right off of it like a ducks back.

You do need to wash it out before getting a haircut, otherwise your barber's not happy and you don't get as good of a cut, otherwise I only occasionally wash it completely out to let my scalp breathe.

Does the Goop handcleaner dry your hair out very bad?? Seems like it would be harsh. Now that I'm beginning to get a long pomp again, I've started using Royal Crown to get the really greasy shine and it is so hard to get out of my hair, and water just runs right off of it like a ducks back.

I don't really notice it drying out my hair at all. It doesn't really get it completely out, but good enough for a cut. After using the Goop I shampoo it with Cream of Nature shampoo and a shampoo bar. The Cream of Nature also does a pretty good job of getting the grease out and claims to condition the hair, which might help keep it from getting too dry.

Why use such gunk if you have trouble washing it out. Try Boosters Olive on. It gives you the same results without the trouble.

Why use such gunk if you have trouble washing it out. Try Boosters Olive on. It gives you the same results without the trouble.

I've tried the Olive ON, it's good stuff but does not have the wax holding power that pomades like Murray's, Murray's New Nile, Dax or Highlife have.
The only way I can keep my pompadour up is to use these stronger products and I usually only try to get it out for haircuts.

I really don't look at it as trouble. It took a bit of learning to figure out a process, but now that I have it I know how to use it.

For me it is worth it to be able to just be able to comb my hair if it gets mussed without having to hairspray or anything like that. Most days I don't have to put anything in it at all, just comb it from the shower and I am good to go. I really only have to wash it out once a month or 2 when I go to the barber.

I used to use Crew Pomade and picked up the Murray's as a way to save $14. I use it so spike my hair so I don't use as much you would for a pomp. I can usually get it all out with shampoo and conditioner. I tried the mayo because my daughter got lice (another good reason to use products in your hair) from a schoolmate. The mayo suffocates them so I had the whole family do it as a precaution.

um..............you prolly dont like Aqua Velva either :lol:

I use Murrays every now and then and find that just a regular 1 pass lather with my daily shampoo takes out enough of the product to allow a towel dry and brush to style.
The stuff is heat activated (in case ya didnt know) so I like to warm up some in my hands, apply to hair and then blow dry and style.
Works very well for me and is NOT nasty :wink:

It has better holding power than stuff like Crew. I can go to the barber with Crew and gel in my hair and it's fine but nooo way with Murray's.

um..............you prolly dont like Aqua Velva either :lol:

I use Murrays every now and then and find that just a regular 1 pass lather with my daily shampoo takes out enough of the product to allow a towel dry and brush to style.
The stuff is heat activated (in case ya didnt know) so I like to warm up some in my hands, apply to hair and then blow dry and style.
Works very well for me and is NOT nasty :wink:

Agreed, I don't think it's nasty, when used properly. I sometimes put some in the lid from the tin and heat up the lid with the blowdrier and then it goes in much easier. I have just ordered a new one to experiment with, "HighLife Heavy", It's hand made by a guy in Arizona and I have heard that it holds even better than Murrays. He also makes one for dark hair called "Voodoo Brew" which I have tried and it's great. Here's his website: http://highlifepomade.com

Murray's pomade rocks. Anyone paying $15 for a jar of hair stuff is throwing money down the drain. I also highly recommend Murray's Super Light and Excelento pomades for when you don't need quite as much hold as regular Murray's. They compare favorably to American Crew Pomade and Jack Black Pomade in consistency, but are cheaper and hold better without being stiff.

http://www.murrayspomade.com/

Regards,

Clay

Top Bottom