What's new

Vegetarian Jiaozi (dumplings)

My dad's birthday is coming up so my girlfriend and I were brainstorming for Ideas when we settled upon cooking related stuff. My dad loves to cook and is off work due to a back injury so he's got alot of time on his hands.

We got him a knife (Sanelli Santoku Chef's Knife), a bamboo steamer and then made up a bunch of Jiaozi dumplings froze them and will write up some recipes.

For the dumpling fillings we didn't really use a recipe, we just kinda winged it, and it worked out well. Also we cheated and used pre-made wrappers, but it was still a fun ordeal.

My basic vegetarian dumpling filling recipe consisted of the following;(measurements estimated to the best of my memory/by sight.)

1 large napa cabbage finely diced and blanched
2 baby bok choy's finely diced and blanched
2 handfuls bean sprouts finely diced
6 cremini mushrooms finely diced(should probably be something more oriental, but I had them on hand)
1/4 package rice vermicelli cooked and chopped short
1 bunch green onions diced
8 cloves of garlic crushed and finely diced
3 tablespoons of grated ginger
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar.

Just mix it all together then you're ready to stuff em. There are instructions all over the 'net on how to assemble the dumplings, I did them by hand, my girlfriend used a dumpling press. I ended up doing them mostly "tortellini style" because I couldn't really get the pleating down pat.

This made about 150 or so dumplings. Next time I think I'd replace the noodles with crumbled extra firm tofu. (Not the silken type that turns many people off of tofu, the one with the almost cheese-like consistency)

You can freeze the dumplings on a cookie sheet, then toss them into a zip-lock freezer bag when they're frozen for easier storage.

To cook the dumplings you can either boil them, steam them or steam-fry them.

My standard dipping sauces are;

1. Sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, minced ginger, green onions, toasted sesame seeds.

2. Peanut butter (natural chunky), water, soy sauce, garlic, sriracha(or other garlic chilli sauce) rice vinegar, brown sugar. I don't really have a recipe for this, it's usually 1:1 water:peanut butter, then the rest to taste. Bring it to a boil and stir, you can sauté the garlic first if you want.

3. Hoisin sauce.

I should have taken pictures :001_rolle

My standard dipping sauces are;

1. Sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, minced ginger, green onions, toasted sesame seeds.

2. Peanut butter (natural chunky), water, soy sauce, garlic, sriracha(or other garlic chilli sauce) rice vinegar, brown sugar. I don't really have a recipe for this, it's usually 1:1 water:peanut butter, then the rest to taste. Bring it to a boil and stir, you can sauté the garlic first if you want.

3. Hoisin sauce.

For #1, one can also include (raw)minced garlic and/or a small dash of chili oil to the sauce. If available. I like to use chinkiang or black vinegar instead of normal rice vinegar.

For #2, maybe I'm somewhat of a purist, but I never really liked any peanut butter based sauce for my jiaozi (or any Asian dumpling/roll/item)

For #3, while I like hoisin sauce I find that it can obliterate the taste of whatever you're item with which you're dipping unless you use a very small amount.

I prefer (a variant) of sauce #1 overall for jiaozi.

Anyways, my gf is vegetarian so I guess I'll give your recipe a try.

Oops, I thought I mentioned it. I cheated and used pre-made dumpling wrappers. I got both the Japanese and Chinese variety; the Chinese ones are about 3x thicker and immensely easier to work with.
$1.50/pound at my asian grocery store.

Top Bottom