What's new

Simple Question: How to Shave Upper Lip

C

college08

Hi everyone,

I have a really simple question:

I had been using an electric razor for a long time (my Dad just handed me one and never taught me how to shave with an actual razor, haha), but I switched to a Gillette Fusion razor a few weeks ago. Simply put: is there a standard technique for shaving the upper lip/mustache area? I spend way too long going over and over the same spot in different directions.

Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks for the help.

I shave one time straight down. Then another pass from the center of my nose out to the edge of my lips and then a final pass from the outside of my lips towards my nose.

Welcome to B&B

With the Fusion all I used to do was go straight down but that never got very close or anything...
So maybe try one pass straight down and the next from the edge of the lips towards the nose.
Be careful with the Fusion though, very easy to cut your lips I find...

Also, welcome to B&B.

With the Fusion all I used to do was go straight down but that never got very close or anything...
So maybe try one pass straight down and the next from the edge of the lips towards the nose.
Be careful with the Fusion though, very easy to cut your lips I find...

Also, welcome to B&B.

+1 on the welcome and the advise.

I do several passes, all of which address the lip, consisting of about 3-4 downward passes and a diagonal pass moving toward the nose. If I'm feeling lucky, I might to a completely S-N pass to get everything. Good luck, those multi-blade thing-ys can be murder on the lips....

I use a multiple pass approach.

One time with the grain, another time against the grain. For example if your stache grows from nose to end of lips (like mine) against the grain is straight down on the stache.

After that, if I need to go against the grow I use a SUPER light touch and a lot of slick lather or maybe shave oil.

I shave one time straight down. Then another pass from the center of my nose out to the edge of my lips and then a final pass from the outside of my lips towards my nose.

Welcome to B&B

+1 never straight up above the mouth. An 'O' face looks really stupid, but flattens everything out just right for the center-->out and out-->center passes. Don't forget to relather between passes.

I grew a mustache and goatee more than 10 years ago, but when I used to shave my whole face, I used the O face and it always worked really well.

As someone who just switched to DE, I can tell you that the down passes followed by the sideways passes really work well. Also, I noticed that the DE razor is much better at the mustache area than a cartridge blade. I think the lack of a plastic frame around the blade is what helps.

very carefully

also the fusion has that blade on the back side of the cartridge that makes getting under the nose and actually shaving the entire lip pretty easy.

Top Bottom