What's new

Cheap cheap aftershave

I was in a Fred Meyer store the other day and noticed they had the Kroger Arctic Blue As on sale for $1.79! I figured what the heck, this stuff is not bad! Menthol, glycerin, scent isn't bad and doesn't stick around very long, for under $2 this is a great performer. I think it is regularly $1.99 for a 5 oz. bottle.

Cheers,
David

The stuff you bought is "store brand" Aqua Velva, which is a great performing inexpensive alcohol aftershave splash.

I figured it was the store version of AV, I had been wanting to try AV for some time, for under $2 this is some great stuff.

Cheers,
David

Just mix 1 cup of rubbing alcohol with a half cup of witch hazel, and a cup of distilled water. Add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil if you want.

THAT'S cheap! :biggrin:

My wife has extreme allergies. What I've mixed up is an alcohol-based aftershave before any scent is added. It works pretty well, with little sting, and doesn't seem to dry my face as much as those with more alcohol.

I used this mixture on weekends and whenever I'm going to be around her in the early morning, particularly if we're driving somewhere. Otherwise, I can wear other aftershaves.

I'm using the generic Brut from Family Dollar. $1.50 for 9 oz. The generic Old Spice is $1.60 for 6 oz. Can't beat it. Same stuff as CVS brand is $4.99.

cvs, walgreens and shop-rite all have their own versions of aqua velva, old spice, skin bracer and brut.

i think the CVS stuff is the best. they have a nice balm too that smells like a combo of skin bracer and brut.

The first aftershave I purchased when I got the DE bug was Afta...as I paid for it I swear I heard a chorus of male singers belt out "By Mennen!"

Splashed it on my mug after the shave, and it felt good! Smelled good, too!

The wife arrived home, and I couldn't wait for her to get a load of my smooth and sweet smelling face. Her eyes got wide and she asked me if I was going to get a little red plastic cup to put my teeth in since I smelled like a refugee from a nursing home.

Haven't used it much since. She tolerates my Pinaud Bay Rum, but I'm still waiting to find something she really likes.

Topgumby.... my reply would have been.... THAT'S IT! Thanks baby. Of course....... it took me twenty years to get to that point with her :lol:

The first aftershave I purchased when I got the DE bug was Afta...as I paid for it I swear I heard a chorus of male singers belt out "By Mennen!"

Splashed it on my mug after the shave, and it felt good! Smelled good, too!

The wife arrived home, and I couldn't wait for her to get a load of my smooth and sweet smelling face. Her eyes got wide and she asked me if I was going to get a little red plastic cup to put my teeth in since I smelled like a refugee from a nursing home.

Haven't used it much since. She tolerates my Pinaud Bay Rum, but I'm still waiting to find something she really likes.

Do they make a fluid/liquid Afta, all I have ever seen is the kind that is like a balm.

Nope, when I said splashed it on, I was turning a phrase. The more accurate description would have been:

"I squeezed out a dollop of aquamarine mucous on my palm, shuddered in horror and glopped it on my cheeks and neck. To my surprise it felt good! Smelled good, too!"

What gets my goat is the family was at a trendy natural grocery market where the wife wanted to get a whiff of Burt's Bees Bay Rum cologne before obtaining some (she has a relative working at Burt's Bees) she started sniffing other stuff. We didn't find the cologne, but I took the cap off of some Afta, hid the bottle in my hand and said, "What about this one?"

She pronounced it "not bad, but not my favorite", and this after telling me it made me a candidate for the Old Jarhead Home when I used it.

Oh, well.

I was in a Fred Meyer store the other day and noticed they had the Kroger Arctic Blue As on sale for $1.79! I figured what the heck, this stuff is not bad! Menthol, glycerin, scent isn't bad and doesn't stick around very long, for under $2 this is a great performer. I think it is regularly $1.99 for a 5 oz. bottle.

Cheers,
David

I just purchased the Kroger Artic Blue for $1.79. I think it smells very close to the real AV. I used it this morning and I thought it worked great.
I think Kroger usually sells it for $2.99. Today I am going back to purchase the kroger skin bracer for 1.79.

I know the original products are not too expensive usually $3.50-$5 range but I am frugle and for $3.58 I get two aftershaves and don't feel guilty about it at all. If I don't like it I could just throw it away. I spent more on banannas than I did on the aftershaves:biggrin:

Top Bottom