What's new

New from Philly

Hello everyone,
I just started reading about wet shaving last week - looking to ditch the electric and occasional cartridge. I just ordered a Merkur Long Handle (23C), a sample pack of blades, and a variety of soaps and cream to test out from West Coast Shaving (and a brush from amazon, sorry, could bring myself to buy a $50+ brush just yet, but from what I've been reading, no doubt I will soon).

I anxiously await my purchases, and I'm thinking of growing the beard out until I get it.

I tend to get bumps and ingrown hairs frequently, do you recommend letting them heal before starting with a DE razor? They tend to heal after a few days of skipped shaving, for me.

welcome! Don't feel bad about the brush. I've been saying for years I was going to get a better one, but still haven't. I'm using the same one I got from Menessentials years ago. I think I would let those bumps heal up if they usually do.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the DE and again welcome

Welcome to B&B! As for bumps/ingrowns/burn, the best thing to do is always to let them heal before shaving again. Of course, that's not possible for many folks. Whether you have that sort of time or not, I predict great improvement for you with your new equipment. Good luck!

Welcome to B&B! Hopefully with the right gear and after you master your technique ingrowns and bumps will be a thing of the past (or at least significantly reduced).

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B! Hopefully with the right gear and after you master you technique ingrowns and bumps will be a thing of the past (or at least significantly reduced).

Yeah, it's mostly my neck ... tends to lead to less shaving and shagginess. I'm hoping that this will prove to be much more fun so I will look forward to shaving! I'm already starting to feel like that teenager seeing a black hair on my face for the very first time.

Yeah, it's mostly my neck ... tends to lead to less shaving and shagginess. I'm hoping that this will prove to be much more fun so I will look forward to shaving! I'm already starting to feel like that teenager seeing a black hair on my face for the very first time.

Funny how that works. Ask around, many of us plan our Razor/Blade/Soap or Cream/Brush/AS or ASB combos days in advance and practically will our whiskers to get longer so we can shave them off again!

Welcome to B&B, lucky you, there's an AOS in the King of Prussia mall, (that's where I picked up most of my gear). The staff there is SUPER-friendly and the guy that does the shaves is very knowledgeable and showed me first-hand a few techniques for shaving, if it's not too far out of your way, you could try going there for a few pointers, it's definitely a good resource to have at your disposal.

Welcome to B&B, lucky you, there's an AOS in the King of Prussia mall, (that's where I picked up most of my gear). The staff there is SUPER-friendly and the guy that does the shaves is very knowledgeable and showed me first-hand a few techniques for shaving, if it's not too far out of your way, you could try going there for a few pointers, it's definitely a good resource to have at your disposal.

Great! I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up

After checking out their website, there's actually one downtown as well. As I'm in the city, it will be much more convenient. Thanks for letting me know about them.

Top Bottom