What's new

Brick and Mortar places to buy good shave cream?

Hey all. I recently bought a Merkur 180 safety razor. I am just about finished with my KOS shave gel and obviously need something better suited. I don't feel like buying online, so what places can I buy some good stuff? I read in a thread you can buy Proroso at Bath and Body Works, is this true? There isn't a Crabtreet & Evelyn near me BTW. Thanks in advance.

Any recommendations on where to buy a brush would be great too. I can't afford a badger hair brush though, so bear is my only option.

Yup, at BB&W you can get this, re-branded Proraso.
View attachment 37857
Also if you have a Whole Foods or GNC or some type of organic/natural grocer, there is the Kiss My Face line. Shoppers Food Warehouse carries Kiss My Face as well.

Welcome to B&B btw!

Thanks for the replies! I have a Whole Foods so I can get the KMF. What KMF product would be best for a safety razor? I'm assuming KMF is a better value than Proraso?

For a brush, hell, I use a cheap boar brush (Burma Shave) meself and it works very well for me. Try Wal-mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, or Wahlgreens for a cheap Van Der Hagen or Burma Shave Brush.

YMMV for the KMF Shave Cream. Whatever scent floats yer boat. Also at Whole Foods is the Thayers Witch Hazel that gets rave reviews here. Again, YMMV.

Thanks for the replies! I have a Whole Foods so I can get the KMF. What KMF product would be best for a safety razor? I'm assuming KMF is a better value than Proraso?

Not necessarily. I use both because they are different. The Proraso/CO Bigelow has menthol and eucalyptus it in which some like and some don't (I love the feel on my face). The KMF is a little easier to get and comes in a variety of scents (I have the Cool Mint and the Lavender). Both yield a very nice lather and are good for DE shaving.

+1 on KMF. I love their cream. Lathers up real nice and is real cheap. They got a few different scents so whatever you like, personally I got a thing for patchouli.

+1 on Thayers witch hazel. They are great to use after a shave and even for a quick clean up whenever. Just wipe on/off with a cotton ball or round.

My newb experience:

KMF is very nice, but tough to lather, at least for me, for now. I bought a second tube, because I find I have to use more to get the lather correct. It;s priced right, but if I can't get it to lather with an almond-size or slightly more, then the price is the same as Musgo. YMMV

CC Bigelow is great, lather and shaves great, but I am allergic to the eucalyptaus. Musgo Real seems to be very similar, but without the eucalyptaus.

It would be helpful to know where in the world you are located.

I am located in Gainesville, FL.

I mixed up Whole Foods with Fresh Market, so KMF is out. I'll be going to BBW to get some of that rebranded Proraso. And for the brush, I'll go to Walgreens. Thanks again for the replies, great forum :thumbup1:

GNC carries the Thayers, though YMMV depending on the size of the store.

There are several GNC's around here. The smaller store...the dude working there had no idea what I was talking about. Then he said they didn't carry it. I said OK...I'll just wander around, and found it myself. Mind you, they only had one bottle of Rose Petal. And it'll set you back about $10.00.

I walked out and found some Dickenson's at Rite-Aid. Smells like tequila, but it doesn't linger, and it works.

Peace.

C.O. Bigelow is BOGO 50% off at B&BW. Got two 1.7oz tubes for $8.01 (they didn't have any 5oz tubes). Walgreens didn't carry any shave brushes, so I'll go to CVS.

+1 I just got two tubes of cream and two bottles of balm.:badger:sweet

Last time I was in walgreens they had brushes right under the mach 3 cartridges

Last edited:
Went to new Whole Foods here in Jacksonville and got a shave brush from Herban Cowboy...it is junk, not even worth the $7.00 price. Better of getting a shave brush at Walmart or The Body Shop.

Last edited:
Jacksonville? I hope you mean Florida cause I am only two states up and want to know if there are any other good places to buy shaving supplies in the southeast?

You know I first looked into straight razors about a year ago and got a brush and clubman gel or cream (glycerin based) from sally's. In the end the straight razor they had is like my barber uses but i find it more suited to general grooming and touch ups rather than full on shaving.

These stores are in the Oaks Mall...

Bath & Body Works (352) 332-5447
Body Shop, The (352) 332-2955
Sephora (inside JCPenney)

If you guys have a Saks Fifth Avenue, they might carry AOS. I know the one in the Birmingham, AL carries it.

Also, if you have any small men's stores that carry a little bit better quality, they may have some good products. For example, I stumbled upon a small, local men's store in Birmingham that carries T&H, so you never know.

Top Bottom