What's new

Heribert Wacker Straight Razors

AandW said:
Looks like we cleaned John out of the Quarter Hollow Spanish Points.:w00t:

proxy.php

The package has arrived. By the grace of the razor gods, I was able to intercept the package and smuggle into the house before my wife got home. Report on how well this sucker shaves to follow.

AandW said:
The package has arrived. By the grace of the razor gods, I was able to intercept the package and smuggle into the house before my wife got home. Report on how well this sucker shaves to follow.

:lol:

My girlfriend is off work today as well as me, so I have a horrible feeling all the razors/soaps/strops I'm waiting on will arrive in one go on a huge truck. :blink:

Hopefully the mail will come early in the next hour or two while she's still sleeping, then if she hears the doorbell I can say it was religious crackpots or something. :laugh: :thumbup1:

I got so busted like this yesterday. Four packages (including my 1/4 hollow wacker with light horn:biggrin: ) arrived on the same day - one of them samples that I didn't even order! The wife told me that I have "problem". Go figure...:eek:

Jordan

Iwan said:
:lol:

My girlfriend is off work today as well as me, so I have a horrible feeling all the razors/soaps/strops I'm waiting on will arrive in one go on a huge truck. :blink:

Hopefully the mail will come early in the next hour or two while she's still sleeping, then if she hears the doorbell I can say it was religious crackpots or something. :laugh: :thumbup1:

Mine showed up today. This is my first and only straight, so I am a little ignorant, but WOW, this thing is beautiful. Just looking at it makes me want to immediately throw away all of my other razors. (Not gonna do it, though.... Wouldn't be prudent).

Mine showed up at work. So I only had to deal with the ignominy of having a very senior attorney down the hall deliver it to me personally. We share the same secretary, who has been out for months, so the mail sits in her bin until one of us picks it up. Which is usually him, because her station is right outside his office.

-Mo

My package from John arrived yesterday as well. What a think of beauty the new razor is. The only thing that saved me was the box of T & H creme purchased from the clearance arrived along with the razor and most importantly, a package to the kids from my Mother in Law which provided the perfect diversion. I focused attention on what Grandma sent as I stashed away my stuff.

This morning I wiped off the mineral oil from the blade, introduced it to my strop, whipped up a bowl of the T & H West Indies Lime and proceeded to enjoy shaving nirvana. What an experience that 6/8 Wacker Quarter Hollow Spanish Point is. Life is good and getting better........

A Maestro is on the way.....

-Scott-

Scott,

You didn't mention honing it first? I was under the impression that was always required with new razors. And mine seems pretty dull - won't shave hair on the back of my hand worth a darn.

-Mo

This is the 4th razor I've bought from John and he has honed (or had honed) each one prior to sending it to me. I have only had to strop them prior to use out of the box. Each of the 3 I already have from him I have honed subsequently, but I got a number of shaves out of each of them prior to honing them myself.

Here is a link to some of John's 'rescued' razors. http://www.straightedgerazors.com/index.php?ind=classifieds His are the ones with the twobitjohn @yahoo.com address starting on the second page.

-Scott-

Ah. That makes sense. I didn't ask him to hone mine.

Glad to hear it is a great shaver.

I think I will get a used cheapo to learn with though, before I bother having this one honed (much less trying to do it myself). Some of those John is selling at the link you provide might be promising, in fact.

-Mo

You didn't mention honing it first? I was under the impression that was always required with new razors. And mine seems pretty dull - won't shave hair on the back of my hand worth a darn.

Honing generally is required with new razors. WHen you ordered from Shavingshop, did you also order the $20 honing service under "services"?

This may be why your razor is not shave sharp.

whoops, I'm a bit slow on the response. Moses, did you mean you "didn't" ask him to hone it?

Um, yeah, thanks. That was what I meant. Oh well, I will just wait until I become competent at honing, or send it off to Lynn or someone.

-Mo

I'm happy, all that arrived today were some soaps and they got here while my girlfriend was asleep. :biggrin:

She's back at work the rest of the week so hopefully everything will arrive while it can be quietly hidden in dark corners, to be gradually brought out into the light over the next few weeks. :lol:

moses said:
Um, yeah, thanks. That was what I meant. Oh well, I will just wait until I become competent at honing, or send it off to Lynn or someone.

-Mo

I'm under the impression that John sends all his razors out shave-ready. Try stropping it up and shaving with it. That way you'll know.

Jordan

jnich67 said:
I'm under the impression that John sends all his razors out shave-ready. Try stropping it up and shaving with it. That way you'll know.

Jordan

He used to. However, when I first became interested in these razors, I noticed that only the Rosewood quarter hollow stated that it would be honed prior to shipment. When I asked John about this, he stated that he used to hone all of his razors prior to shipment. He explained that he no longer does this because it took too much of his time to hone all of his razors and that the quality of the final product may not always be up to snuff. So, now he charges $20 to hone a new razor prior to shipment, which I think is fair and seems to be the going rate to have a straight honed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I did pay to have my razor honed and all that was needed for it's maiden voyage was a good stropping. I have to say that it is a pretty good shaver right out of the box. But...I decided to kick it up a notch and strop it on one of Tony Miller's 4 sided pasted stops(highly recommended). Now the whiskers are scared.

All I can say is that my wife is good. Right before she went to work tonight, she showed me a sticky with "Pay Pal - John Crowely...$194.95". She then proceeded to interrogate me. However, I stood my ground and I denied, denied, denied and acted like I had absolutely no clue what she was talking about. She then asked, "Is it for my birthday"? All I said was, "Could be. Maybe it is your Christmas present". I then got the "EVIL EYE" and she went to work. I know she does not believe me and as soon as she comes home tomorrow morning, she is going to rip this house apart while looking for my latest acquisitions. Looks like I am taking a few things to work tomorrow!:wink:

I don't know waht is more fun? Shaving, buying new products, trying new products or hiding my new products?:biggrin:

AandW said:
He used to. However, when I first became interested in these razors, I noticed that only the Rosewood quarter hollow stated that it would be honed prior to shipment. When I asked John about this, he stated that he used to hone all of his razors prior to shipment. He explained that he no longer does this because it took too much of his time to hone all of his razors and that the quality of the final product may not always be up to snuff. So, now he charges $20 to hone a new razor prior to shipment, which I think is fair and seems to be the going rate to have a straight honed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I did pay to have my razor honed and all that was needed for it's maiden voyage was a good stropping. I have to say that it is a pretty good shaver right out of the box. But...I decided to kick it up a notch and strop it on one of Tony Miller's 4 sided pasted stops(highly recommended). Now the whiskers are scared.

I received mine (1/4 hollow Spanish point w/ rosewood handles) on Monday. I didn't get a chance to use it until this morning. Fantastic. This razor has, for me, the perfect weight and balance. Too bad there are none left, or I would invest in a few more as steady rotators. It looks like this is goiong to be my just-about-everyday razor.

I had ordered the honing, because I didn't see the rosewoods were pre honed. John must have taken that off of the description. Doesn't really matter. honed before I ordered or after, it has a great edge, and is a pleasure to shave with. All of you who have one, you will enjoy it.

And Moses, get thee (or thine razor) to a honemeiser!

O.K.

AandW said:

Thanks for the up to date info Bruce. I'll give mine a quick test and see how much hone time it may need.

Jordan

how is the friodur working out for yah mate?
I'm lookin for a 6/8 wacker or a 7/8-8/8 friodur myself--what is your experience so far? anyone jump in on this.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
AandW said:
All I can say is that my wife is good. Right before she went to work tonight, she showed me a sticky with "Pay Pal - John Crowely...$194.95". She then proceeded to interrogate me. However, I stood my ground and I denied, denied, denied and acted like I had absolutely no clue what she was talking about. She then asked, "Is it for my birthday"? All I said was, "Could be. Maybe it is your Christmas present". I then got the "EVIL EYE" and she went to work. I know she does not believe me and as soon as she comes home tomorrow morning, she is going to rip this house apart while looking for my latest acquisitions. Looks like I am taking a few things to work tomorrow!:wink:

I don't know waht is more fun? Shaving, buying new products, trying new products or hiding my new products?:biggrin:

Guys.....this is why you need a home based side business, Do you think I want to make strops in my spare time??? Hell no, it's all a front to cover the USPS boxes of toys (razors, old slide rules, vintage land rover parts, etc..) that arrive on my doorstop daily <g>. "Package??? oh that....umm, err, ohh, it's for the business, yeah, that's it, the business, it's, it's, umm, a new shipment of left handed coniveling shifters to sell on my website, yeah, that's it, you know, the ones I said were coming, the long handled ones, remember, umm, there here, hot seller, hot seller" Well, it works some of the time <g>

Tony

Top Bottom