What's new

Open comb vs. straight comb

I have been using disposables for years and am now going to take the plunge into the DE world. I have a fairly light beard with sensitive skin. I only need to shave every other day. What are the determining factors in deciding between an open comb Razor and a straight comb? Do some guys have both for different purposes? Different beard length situations? Can you give me some guidance here?

I have been using disposables for years and am now going to take the plunge into the DE world. I have a fairly light beard with sensitive skin. I only need to shave every other day. What are the determining factors in deciding between an open comb Razor and a straight comb? Do some guys have both for different purposes? Different beard length situations? Can you give me some guidance here?

I think you could be fine with either. Those people who have a light beard can pretty much shave with anything. I, on the other hand, have a really coarse beard. I had been shaving with a solid safety bar, but I still got a lot of razor burn if I wanted to get BBS. I read that open combs are especially good for coarse beards, for the open comb allows the lather to stay on the beard until the blade gets there. A solid bar, on the other hand, actually scrapes away the lather before the blade. I have tried it out, and the open comb works better on my beard BY FAR.

Still, with a light beard, you go probably go either way. As I am, now, an open comb convert, I would say that if it works for coarse beards it would also work on light beards. Also, your sensitive skin (I have sensitive skin, too) might be better protected by the lather remaining on the beard when the blade gets to it.

Just my $.02

Top Bottom