What's new

Camel's Breath

Just picked up two little pucks of Pu'er tea from work, called Camels Breath.

Smells like dirt.

Tastes like tea flavored dirt.

I like it :lol:
Anyone else try this?
Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath"
From China's Yunnan province comes this grease-cutting, coffee-kicker tea. It is aged, ripe and high octane, featuring a rich earthy taste with briny overtones. Each tea "button" is individually paper-wrapped. There are many health benefits attributed to this tea; it lowers cholestrol and tricglycerides, cleanses the blood, is great for hangovers and indigestion, and also a treatment for obesity. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. It's the perfect commuter tea. Simply place the tea unit in a glass thermos and fill with boiling water (let it steep overnight for "espresso" strength).

Just picked up two little pucks of Pu'er tea from work, called Camels Breath.

Smells like dirt.

Tastes like tea flavored dirt.

I like it :lol:
Anyone else try this?
Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath"
From China's Yunnan province comes this grease-cutting, coffee-kicker tea. It is aged, ripe and high octane, featuring a rich earthy taste with briny overtones. Each tea "button" is individually paper-wrapped. There are many health benefits attributed to this tea; it lowers cholestrol and tricglycerides, cleanses the blood, is great for hangovers and indigestion, and also a treatment for obesity. Give it a long steep with full boiling water. It's the perfect commuter tea. Simply place the tea unit in a glass thermos and fill with boiling water (let it steep overnight for "espresso" strength).

First question -- what's work?

Never heard of the tea, but no matter. If you enjoy it, that's good. The taste description reminds of some nasty tuo-chas that I picked up from Peet's.
And thus the downward spiral began. It only gets better.

As for the rest ...
I don't know if any of those first two health claims apply to Pu-erh (or other heavily oxidized) tea.
But I do know that white & green tea can in fact claim cholesterol/triglyceride-lowering benefits.

Blood cleansing & obesity?? Bullsnot!
Hangover cures will of course vary from person to person.
And tea is no more a cure for obesity than water.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Every "mini tuo" I've tried, including the supposedly decent ones from Haiwan, have been crap.

Drink some real pu'er before you give up on it.

Last edited:
Work is Whole Foods.

It isn't my fav, and I have had better. I just liked the name so I tried it.
Had some more today @ work, it grows on ya.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If a tea (or coffee) has a name that has to do with anything other than the place of origin, specific type, or producer, then it falls into the same category as wines labeled Goats Do Roam, Tractor Shed Red, or Fat Bastard Merlot, or having pictures of Groucho Marx or dogs playing cards on the label.

Regarding the obesity claims, I do believe there is some effect on how the body metabolises fats. I would have to hunt around for the reference, but there was one study (by a reputable Dutch university, I think) who compared the effects of drinking pu'er after a fatty meal against a control group who were drinking water. They concluded that there was a statistically significant effect from the pu'er drinkers that their excreta contained much higher fat levels, as if the pu'er had prohibited the body from metabolising it.

This sits quite well with the conventional Chinese opinion that pu'er is good after a heavy meal. (Note that the same Chinese opinion considers it very unhealthy to drink tea with a meal. Typically, you wait at least 30mins to "let the food go down", rather than "dilute the stomach" with tea.)

In terms of anecdotal evidence, I've had many tea-friends who have gone travelling in China and consumed lots of tea every day, and who have lost very large amounts of weight. I'm sure the fact that they're away from their burgers and pizza helps this, but even the ones that reportedly "ate loads" while they were out there lost a lot of body mass. Speaking from personal experience, I eat like a rabid donkey when I'm in China, and typically come away lighter than when I started.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Regarding the obesity claims, I do believe there is some effect on how the body metabolises fats. I would have to hunt around for the reference, but there was one study (by a reputable Dutch university, I think) who compared the effects of drinking pu'er after a fatty meal against a control group who were drinking water. They concluded that there was a statistically significant effect from the pu'er drinkers that their excreta contained much higher fat levels, as if the pu'er had prohibited the body from metabolising it.

This sits quite well with the conventional Chinese opinion that pu'er is good after a heavy meal. (Note that the same Chinese opinion considers it very unhealthy to drink tea with a meal. Typically, you wait at least 30mins to "let the food go down", rather than "dilute the stomach" with tea.)

In terms of anecdotal evidence, I've had many tea-friends who have gone travelling in China and consumed lots of tea every day, and who have lost very large amounts of weight. I'm sure the fact that they're away from their burgers and pizza helps this, but even the ones that reportedly "ate loads" while they were out there lost a lot of body mass. Speaking from personal experience, I eat like a rabid donkey when I'm in China, and typically come away lighter than when I started.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
If verifiable, one wonders whether it's pu-erh proper, tea, or caffeine (i.e. - would diet cola suffice?).

It's confoundingly complex because there are many variables between/within pu-erh & teas generally.

BTW, how does a rabid donkey eat? :wink:

Top Bottom