What's new

Hair Tonic

Hi All,

Looking to try some hair tonics to keep unruly stray hairs at bay and laying down. I keep my hair short, normally buzzed on the sides and long enough on the top to lay forward and sometimes just long enough to give a little combing off to the side.

Trying to avoid anything to sticky or very strongly scented, lingering is good so long as it's pleasant and fairly light.

Are the Pinaud hair tonics good? Any ideas which one? Not looking for anything to terribly expensive here.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use the Pinaud Eau de Portugal everyday. Nice citrusy scent. Does not really provide any hold whatsoever. I use it more for its scent and to invigorate the scalp. (whatever that means :wink:)

The cost is about $7 to $9 dollars. Or you could go with the Pashana Hair tonics but then you are getting into the $14 to $15 range.

Quite frankly, I have used both the Pinaud Eau de Portugal and the Pashana Eau de Portugal and I could not see the difference between them.

The Pinaud hair tonics are more like cologne for your hair. I use them mainly to soften my ultra thick hair into something comb-able in place of conditioner. They do have a lingering scent, but it's a pleasant scent. The Clubman smells like a barber shop and the Eau De Portugal has a very nice citrus scent to it. The Eau De Quinine is like a combination of the two.

For style and hold you need something like the Pinaud Styling creme, or if you can't find that the Gel is just as good, but dries to a razor sharp point like hairspray. The creme is a lot like Brylcreem, but smells MUCH MUCH nicer.

Jeris is nothing more than nicely scented water. Vitalis provides the perfect hold for me but can smell a little strong if too much is used.

Thanks all. My hair is short so not looking for much hold beyond keeping any uneven hairs from poking up.

With oil will give you a little hold but without hold will give you no more hold than water. By hold I don't mean hair spray hold or gel hold. It's not that stiff.
Jeris smells like that barber shop-baby powder smell.
Pinaud -- Portugal smells lemony and tingly and not bad; Quinine kind of stinks, Osage Rub is a menthol bomb!
Pashana -- kind of like Pinaud but more refined, available in Portugal and Quinine
Booster's-- Sage smells good and fresh and is tingly but no hold really--this is my favorite. Russian Bear Oil has little smell if any but has some hold.

Vitalis, Lucky Tiger or Jeris w/Oil. Jeris w/Oil is my favorite, it has a light scent that won't linger much and as someone already stated, most tonics w/out oil hold about like water.

I also agree Vitalis probably has the best hold but also has a strong smell- it reminds me of my early schoolboy days- my dad would use it to slick my hair down for Sunday church and school pictures-the other kids would tease me about the smell and call me "Greasy Kidstuff" !!

Also a vote for Jeris with oil... easy to control the amount you use. Most barbers have it. Have also used brylcreem with some success as well.

Top Bottom