What's new

Scents and Association

Hey everyone, I am sure all of you have certain scents that give you a feeling of nostalgia. Whether it is your favorite scent from college or even one that reminds you of a family member. I thought this would be a good thread where you could discuss the scents that evoke these feelings.

For me it would have to be Curve, which reminds me of being in middle school and just starting High School. Everyone wore it to school dances so I associate with the thrill of a dance with a pretty girl.

Your turn.

My most recent blast from the past was New West "Skin Scent" from Aramis.

I found a sample of it a few months ago. Vintage 80's all the way.

The smell instantly took me right back to those young and foolish college days, which where much different than my current old and foolish days.

Jovan White Musk brings me back to high school and the period right after.

Curve always reminds me of an old girlfriend. Sometimes when I'm in a crowded place I can catch a whiff and I turn around expecting to see her. But she's never there.

Aqua Velva Ice Sport reminds me of middle school. I had just started shaving when Ice Sport came out, and it was the first bottle of aftershave I bought with my own money. (I was 13!) Not so fond memories of riding the bus early in the AM with the Ice Sport tingling my nostrils.

Regular Jovan Musk reminds me of my much missed uncle that passed away six years ago.

Stetson reminds me of an old drunk that used to hassle me in my neighborhood growing up. He would scream at kids as they passed by on the street and throw things at us. I hate that smell.

Chanel No. 5 brings back memories of me sitting in the principals office in the fifth grade when a good looking woman came in to check her child out of school. I asked her what she had on because whatever it was smelled so pretty. She told me it was Chanel No. 5, and I never forgot her.

Tabac is a painful association for me. I had just put a good dose on when I left the house. I got into a bad motorcycle wreck leaving my neighborhood. I've not been able to wear it since then.

Everytime I catch a whiff of what I believe to be Guerlain Vetiver*, I think of my uncle.

*I won't bore everyone with this story as I'm sure there are several accounts of it already floating around here. :rolleyes:

The Green Polo reminds me of middle school....of wanting some of that cologne so bad.

Jovan Musk reminds me of my mother...her favorite.

Drakkar Nior always reminds me of prom.....oh what a night!

Peppermint lip gloss reminds me of a girlfriend I had when I was 15 or 16. I can't even remember her name but every time I catch a whiff of that smell I remember the excitement of being with her like it was yesterday.

Old Spice conjures up my dad. He used it religiously (after shaving with Dial Soap :wink2:).

Everytime I catch a whiff of what I believe to be Guerlain Vetiver*, I think of my uncle.

*I won't bore everyone with this story as I'm sure there are several accounts of it already floating around here. :rolleyes:

Huh. ... I think I missed that one.

The Green Polo reminds me of middle school....of wanting some of that cologne so bad.

Reminds me of a "jerk" (substitute anatomical term there) of a college roommate who, amongst other things, would literally drown himself in the stuff daily. puke.

Old Spice reminds me of my father. And British Sterling of my grandfather.

Huh. ... I think I missed that one.

Reminds me of a "jerk" (substitute anatomical term there) of a college roommate who, amongst other things, would literally drown himself in the stuff daily. puke.

Old Spice reminds me of my father. And British Sterling of my grandfather.

*secretly rejoicing about being given an open invitation to share this story again*

Well, since you twisted my arm, Richard...here goes.

Going way back to my earliest memories of my Uncle Larry, one of the most profound things that has always stood out to me about him, is his signature fragrance. Up until just a few years ago, I never really gave it a second thought other than, "Uncle Larry smells good. Like someone who lives the High Life. Like money." In fact, all those labels apply. You see, he made a career out of being Vice President of one of the many divisions of the Levi (jeans) corporation, was single up until his late 40's/early 50's, had lots of dough, spent lots of dough, was always sporting a bronze tan (lives in Dallas area), is smart, funny, serious, carefree. In a nutshell, a playboy...and he smells good.

Fast forward to my discovery of B&B and the fine folks encompassed within. Before long, a tube of Speick arrived at my door and I had a Eureka! moment. I finally cracked the mystery of Uncle Larry's signature scent.

Fast forward to the arrival of a generous fragrance sampler that was PIF'd to me by Bob O. (I made a remark about all the press Blenheim gets and expressed curiosity. Two seconds later, Bob sends me a PM offering to send a sample of BB and a handful of others. [What a guy! He's done this with cigars too!]) Upon the first sniff of the Blenheim, it was, once again, Eureka!

:biggrin:

Fast forward to my layover in the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport on my way to Cancun. I was cruising the fragrance section of the Duty Free where I popped the top on a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. Eureka! This is it!...I think.

The next time I see my uncle, I really have to just ask him what he wears...:rolleyes:

*Richard, if you were just giving me grief, well...let's just say one of our newly appointed Ministers of Defense may be paying you a visit some night. :whistling:

English Leather always takes me back to going to buy my back to school clothes with my parents. The clothier we went to always wore it. I remember him taking measurements and thinking hey, that's cool stuff!

His son bought him out, then the shop went out of business a few years later when the chains came in. I loved going there. I hate clothes shopping, but I liked going there.

*secretly rejoicing about being given an open invitation to share this story again*

Well, since you twisted my arm, Richard...here goes.

The next time I see my uncle, I really have to just ask him what he wears...:rolleyes:

*Richard, if you were just giving me grief, well...let's just say one of our newly appointed Ministers of Defense may be paying you a visit some night. :whistling:

*ME* give YOU grief?! The Devil you say!

No, I was legitimately curious, altho I was expecting more of a broken-bottle-of-edt story of some sort.

Anyhow, the minister of defense will have no trouble finding me... I'll be the one on the floor with vertigo from all that fast forwarding. :001_tt2: :lol:

(otherwise, great story)

Polo reminds me of high school in the early 1980's. Some football hero jock who dated the hottest girl in school wore it. I remember he drove a Camaro to school and she wore the tightest fuzzy sweaters and had a baked-on tan year round. He looked like he was 20 and my friends and I all looked 14 in comparison but we were all the same age. Different worlds.

*ME* give YOU grief?! The Devil you say!

No, I was legitimately curious, altho I was expecting more of a broken-bottle-of-edt story of some sort.

Anyhow, the minister of defense will have no trouble finding me... I'll be the one on the floor with vertigo from all that fast forwarding. :001_tt2: :lol:

(otherwise, great story)

:lol:

It's been suggested by some, that I enjoy telling stories and, in fact, that the enjoyment increases exponentially with a few drinks. I was hoping to avoid a "computer screen migraine" from staring at the screen for what would have surely been multiple pages, but, alas, I see it came at the price of vertigo.

:biggrin:

Love spell reminds me of mom. And she liked Jozan Musk. And she gave me ysl Jazz.

Brut preluded by coast soap my dad.

Un Jardin Sur le Toit and en Mediterranee my wife.

Hilfiger Truestar reminds me of naked breasts. (An ex wore this as a signature scent, and my wife also has it in her rotation.)

Estee lauder body spray mixed with cigarette (can't remember name but remember smell) an old gf wore it to cover up.

J'dore my godmother

Polo (green) reminds me of high school.

Grey Flannel does the same for college.

Revlon Jontue is what my mother wore.

Not a fragrance, but regular Speed Stick deodorant reminds me of my dad. He never wore fragrance or aftershave.

I can't wear Dior Homme Sport anymore because it's the scent my ex wife liked best on me. The association is just too strong.

Nick

Brut reminds me of college. Seems like everybody wore it back then . . . . except me; I hated it.

Avon's Far Away reminds me of my late wife. It's the only scent she wore. All I have now are memories.

Old Spice reminds me of Christmas. I can't remember a Christmas when I didn't get some kind of Old Spice product.

Of course, it's not just scents like these. Any scent can bring back memories.

Pinaud Clubman of the Old Barbershop where I got my hair cut for the 1st 12 years of my life..
Brut Early 70's
Jovan Musk Late 70's early 80's. EVERYBODY did...lol
Lagerfeld Late 80's.
Halston z-14 The 90's
Harrera 2000's
Since I've been wet shaving I'm back to old school in-expensive stuff like Pinaud Clubman....

Top Bottom