What's new

Anybody upset that Glen Scotia discontinued the 14Y

This was a great dram. As one of only two major Campbelltown distilleries Glen Scotia gave Springbank a run with the quality of the 14Y bottling IMHO. Lots of great malt character, decent peat, a slight brininess and a great long smooth finish. Medium bodied with a lot of flavor development.

Luckily I was able to find two bottles when I found out it was no longer being produced, but when those run out...

I would be more upset, but I haven't been able to buy Glen Scotia in BC anyway. The provincial liquor control board seems to have a hard time believing that there is enough of a market for some single malt diversity. It has gotten better lately, but still far from ideal.

I love Campbeltown malts, but getting harder to find and more expensive. And to top it off, Springbank has shut down their operations, possibly up to two years - from what I heard, the owner is annoyed about the price of barley or some such thing.

Makes sense to me: demand for the finished product and prices going up, and it takes 12-15 years to mature, so... Let's shut down production! Combined with the increasing demand from India and China, and the number of distilleries closed during the latest industry consolidations I fear that many more of my favorite malts will become scarce as time goes by.

Nuts. Thus endeth my rant.:cursing:

I hadn't heard that Sprinkbank had stopped production (out of touch apparently). I did see that they are committed to restarting production in "early 2009" which is certainly good news. As the flagship Campbelltown distillery, it would be a shame for it to go silent.http://springbankdistillers.com/tasting-room/11/2008/70

I enjoy the Sprinkbank 10Y (92 proof) and have been meaning to try the 100 proof as I have heard good things about it.

What I never understood was why, in recent times, a distillery would be not just silenced but demolished. Great decisions taken by marketing geniuses. (I'm sure that any marketing people on this forum are actually intelligent, no offense intended...)

I am glad to hear that Springbank is getting ready to restart production. My sources inform me that up until recently they were using much older stock in their 15-yr old bottlings due to large inventories, but that has since been whittled down to the point where 15yr old is closer to 15 years. Glad to see they will start to run new spirit again.

It's my all time favorite malt. (Followed by Tullibardine, Highland Park and Longmorn in that order. This week .)

What I never understood was why, in recent times, a distillery would be not just silenced but demolished. Great decisions taken by marketing geniuses.

I hear ya! Think of some of the distilleries that have been at least partailly demolished: Brora, Port Ellen, Rosebank. I feel fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to try or even own a bottle of these malts, but just cannot understand how they have become lost to the world (sigh).

Also, if I remember correctly, I think one of your favorites, Tullibardine, reopened recently after being mothballed.

Top Bottom