What's new

Cotton or Linen?

Is there a difference in draw or "abrasiveness" between Tony Miller's cotton stops and the linen ones?
(I suppose I am asking that if you could measure the grit level, which one would be coarser or finer)
I have read some threads on this, but am not sure if they are just cosmetic differences or not...

Also, which one is in this picture, cotton or linen?
(because I like how that one looks better!)

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hunter,
That is actually the older coarse cotton I used to use. I am still updating so a few older photos are showing. The photo of the 2 5/8" Horsehide shows the newer stuff which is far smoother.

Everyone has a different preference on the cloth sides. The range of materials from the soft fabris Dovo uses to the hard smooth stuff on Illinois strops all have strong followers. I have used them all and still do not have a real favorite.

I'm sure some of the fellows here have tried quite a few and can comment on how they all feel after time. I myself am not a big user of the cloth sides but probably ought to be as many feel it is an important step.

Tony

I have the "new" TM smooth canvas, and I loaded it up with Dovo white paste. With that combo, it is an excellent performer!

I have one of the older linen/canvas combos that I love. I tend to use the linen side more than the canvas for some reason.

Thanks guys! I think I'm leaning more into the linen camp, as I like the idea of a more abrasive material

Linen is said to be a bit more abrasive.

I use the Tony Miller Latigo/genuine linen everyday and would not want to use anything else (although a cordovan strop would be nice).

Top Bottom