What's new

Mach, Me and DE.(Hello)

I got into DE shaving just about 3 weeks ago. I have spent close to 200 for a razor, blades, soap and shaving creams, aftershave balm and bowl.

It's funny because in the past I used to buy a 12 pack of Mach 3 blades and that is all (for the year.) I would scrap off the hair on my face in 45 seconds in the hot streamy shower, and never paid any attention to skin irritation, razor bumps or anything else (wife didn't seem to notice anything wrong either.) I was, I would say happy. That cost me about 20 -25 dollars a year.

In contrast I just spent about 8 years of Mach 3 costs in 3 weeks time. I did not use shaving cream, or after shave or anything before. It was very minimalist. Plus I used the somewhat duller blades to shave my chest, shoulders and back as needed (using plain soap and again scraping the hair.) Twelve blades, one a month and I was good.

Why did I switch? Because I was looking at the sampler Fusion blade I got and was wondering if it's worth switching over to the new and best thing. The cost would only be a bit more, but for what benefit. Then I was dragged into the wonders of DE shaving. I was amazed how much people get into this and I was drawn in. Video's here, reviews, different sites, and a forum. Wow. This is a little intense.

I'm still in the process of finding my blade and cream combo, and the shaving experience is well, an experience now. I hope I continue to have the time.

I am the kind of person that will eat a tomato, a half a head of lettuce, some tuna from the can and a piece of bread to get my nutrients and move on to better things.

So now, I'm probably the rare person that can shave off my facial hair in less than a minute in a hot shower using a Mach 3. However, I will continue using my DE razor until I perfect the shave, get tired, bored, or frustrated. For the rest of my body, I can not imagine the care that would be needed to shave with a DE. I swear I look at my nipple and think ouch, that may just come right off with a DE.

I am happy with DE shaving as it gives my anti-pleasure seeking self something to enjoy. I love the various creams and lotions and the process is interesting. Lemon lime, avocado and menthol/eucalyptus is just heavenly. I do not indulge much.

The tools of the trade are cool, and I think that is the only reason I switched. I'm off to master my technique and try out the other blades/creams I have sitting on the shelf. BBS to all.

-dema

Welcome to the board. There is a large investment at first but I feel it pays off over time. For me it is the irritation and ingrown hair free shaves and that fact that the refills for the fusion's only lasted me a few shaves. The cost was way more then the DE supplies. Just have to get my RAD in check....

Welcome!

And I'm sure I've spent more on DE equipment, soaps, creams, brushes etc etc than I would have in 10 years of Mach 3 shaving - the difference being that now I'm spending on things I want to spend on instead of the Mach 3 stuff which I had to buy just to keep my face clean.

You know, you can't count Christmas presents. I am still under 50 bucks, and have 5 soaps, and 5 aftershaves and three razors. Yes, I did win 1 PIF.

Welcome!

One thing you may notice is that after a couple of weeks, your skin will feel much softer and look better than when you were using the Mach 3.

I discovered DE shaving by attempting to researching Fusion blades. I typed in a search and apparently when looking up Good Shave Razor, you get DE shaving websites. Then I looked into the history of blades, the economy, health benefits and environmental benefits and I was pretty sold. Looked around Amazon, and then went to the sites like, Lees, Classicshaving, Westcoast and Vintage Blades (from whom I made my 1st purchase.)

My wife was going to visit family for 2.5 weeks so I figured I can enjoy my old hobbies and check out this new one. The package came and I was ready to begin bleeding. I actually do not mind the blood, and I shave at night so my skin can heal before morning.

I grew up fatherless so I do not have the benefit or penalty of one teaching me anything. The net, books, and friends are all I had. I think I remember my grandpa shaving, but I was only 5 so I do not recall what he used, he died when I was young because of a gruesome war wound. He lost his leg and all went downhill from there. He may have used a Parker here in the states, or perhaps something from our home country. I'm not sure.

So yeah, good shaving equals DE wetshaving apparently and the dreaded st8 edge. I spoke to my cousin about this and he actually has the worst combo. Sensitive skin and thick beard. He's used a st8 but gave up and lives with just a trimmed beard.

I would direct him here, but he's got a new born to watch over, and time may be an issue.

Remember, Google is your friend. Type: good shave razor and you find the B&B community.

Again, thank you all for your insight. Warm lather and a comfortable shave to all.

-de

The only 'economy' you get is by stimulating it with your need for razors, aftershaves, soaps, creams, oils, styptics, and 87dybillion other things you absolutely must have.

Top Bottom