What's new

Shorter loft vs higher loft brush lathering technique

I have used a Vulfix 2235 silvertip for a year now and recently received from the great folks here at B&B the long awaited B&B 2008 LE. :biggrin:

Since the 2008 B&B LE is my first short loft densely packed brush I am experiencing a bit of trouble getting the mounds of lather that I am accustomed to.

For those who do not know the 2235 is on the floppy side, however, I become quite proficient in making great lather both from creams and triple milled soaps.

I should say I am primarily a face latherer. I think I may be pressing to hard while building the lather on my face as the lather that forms is bunching up around the handle leaving little on my face. If I do not press hard enough I can not build lather!

What I have done is to roll the bunched up lather from around the base onto my face as I draw the brush across the face lightly spreading lather using the tip of the brush. This results in a thin layer.

I am just not getting the thickness of lather on the face that I usually get from the Vulfix using the same soaps (Taylors, Ogallala, Mama Bear). My shaves using the LE are fine, great in fact. And maybe I just need to adjust to the new type of brush. Maybe I have been using too much lather. :eek:

Are there differences in lather technique for a short lofted brush that I should be aware of?

What is the optimal thickness of lather on the face I should be shooting for?

Thanks

I found the same issues as you when I owned a Chubby 1.

What you can try is using strokes rather than swirling around your face, very slight strokes aiming to use only the tips of the hair.
Also, loading it with a bit more water and soap than you're accustomed to. The combination worked for me in creating good lather.

I think it eventually becomes a combination of technique and a certain brush brake in period as well.

Try adding more water a few drops at a time, I find that helps.

You could also use more soap, but I think you've got the main answer, you just need some time to get used to the new brush.

Best of luck.

J

Dense brushes suck the lather into themselves like a black hole. That's just the way they are!

Either add more product (cream, soap, and/or water) or work the brush around your face a bit more than you are used to. Even if you mix your lather in a bowl. I find that I have become a semi-face latherer when I use the dense brushes, as it's theonly way to get the lather out of the brush and onto my face.

Enjoy it for what it is!:001_smile

Any lather that doesn't make direct contact with your skin is a moot point.

Wiser words have never been spoken. But it's still kind of cool to build up a thick lather on the face.

The only thing I would add is that the brush vs. whiskers motion is important to preparing the whiskers for annihiliation, so just painting on the lather is not good enough (at least not for me).

I disagree. A thicker lather isn't as likely to dry on your face as a micron thin layer would.

I think I disagree there (when we're talking about useful amounts of lather that is, not sure about micron level). As long as you have a "usefully thick" layer of lather on your face, which in my mind is at least 2mm, I don't think more lather prevents the lather from drying out.

What you want there is more water in your lather, I do think a layer of water UNDER the lather helps keep it from drying out.

Cheers.

J

I found the same issues as you when I owned a Chubby 1.

What you can try is using strokes rather than swirling around your face, very slight strokes aiming to use only the tips of the hair.
Also, loading it with a bit more water and soap than you're accustomed to. The combination worked for me in creating good lather.

I think it eventually becomes a combination of technique and a certain brush brake in period as well.

+1

The break-in period for the brush is important. It takes time for it to hit its sweet spot. A couple weeks worth of use will get it to open up a little and get you used to it. You have to stick to it. After the first couple of weeks the changes will be more subtle but the brush will still be getting better over time.

With a dense brush you need to add more product as well. Learned that with my Chubby 2.

Finally, for such a short and dense loft face lathering is the way to go. Set the bowl aside and start enjoying the supple softness of silver tip right on your face. Don't mash the brush on your face just swirl the tips . Again, the first couple weeks will be a challenge as the brush breaks-in but then you will get the hang of it.

After several months my Chubby 2 generates lather like crazy with little effort. My acclimation to my new brush (custom extra-dense silver tip Shavemac) was a "no-brainer" after the Chubby. At the two-week mark the Shavemac is performing great for me.

Best of luck.

Oh and if you decide the brush is too much work just shoot me a PM and I will take it off your hands. :lol:

Hey, wait, I was going to ask for first dibs. Oh well.

Seriously though, after reading yesterday about the Moroccan Street barbers article, I decided this morning to try the 3 min lather. Just short of the 2 min mark the lather just exploded from the brush, I almost felt like never stopping it felt so good.
My wife had to poke her head in the bathroom to ask what I was giggling about, and laughed out loud when she saw me and asked how I was going to sink a razor in all that foam. I think she thought I was messing around and just being silly.

I am reading some great advice here guys. Since this is my first short dense brush I do expect a break in period both for the brush and for myself to get used to it. I prefer face lathering so I do not have to work hard at that. I have noticed my shaves seem closer and seem to last longer when using this brush. I think my beard is being forced to stand up more so than with a floppy mop.

+1
Oh and if you decide the brush is too much work just shoot me a PM and I will take it off your hands. :lol:

Hey, wait, I was going to ask for first dibs. Oh well.

You guys are funny! Like circling vultures, didn't you get your 2008 LE's :mad: I admit to doing the same thing when reading posts like this. When I think someone is struggling in the back of my mind I am hoping they will give up and give away their troubled gear! But I usually root for them to keep at it.

But let me set the record straight, you will have to pry this little beauty out of my hands.

Oh...you better bring help :w00t:

Great posts guys. I had to check to make sure it said Mankini and not Ironman06 up at the top. I'd been having the EXACT same experience... even coming from a floppy Vulfix brush. Good article on AskMen.com too with the Moroccan Street Barbers. Cannot wait for that break-in period to free-up. Even though the lather hasn't been as easy to come by as expected, I do still love my new brush.

Top Bottom