What's new

Feather Platinum-coated razor blades rock!

By way of intro, let me just note that I have a very thick beard and sensitive skin. I began my wet-shaving journey using Derby razors in an adjustable Gillette Slim cranked all the way up to 9. I have been using this set-up with much success since September of this year.
About a week ago, I finally got around to trying the much feared Feather blade. I truly cannot believe how comfortable these blades shave. While I enjoyed using Derbys, I did find there to be a little bit of pulling and a tinge of discomfort. I never expected Feather blades to provide such a smooth shave. Yes, they are extremely sharp; but with a gentle hand they are incredibly comfortable. Thus far, I've used the same blade four times and have noticed little difference in comfort level. It wouldn't surprise me if I could get 8 shaves out of a single blade:w00t:
I truly believe no newbie should pass these blades up! But, I would first get my technique down and take a few months to get used to the weight of a safety razor.

I put off trying them too,pretty much mirroring your experience. While I think the Derby is a good blade, I can get a far better shave with a Feather. No blood loss, no irritation. Everyone has to find what works best for them but for me it is the Feather. When I started my son off on DE shaving I gave him some Derbys to start but it wasn't long before he started using Feathers and neither he nor I will likely go back to any other blade,

I'm with you. I started with Derby's and they did an adequate job. About a month ago, I received some Feathers in a trade and decided to give them a try in a Fatboy set at 2. The resulting shave was amazing. No nicks, cuts or irritation.

I can get four very comfortable shaves with the Feathers.

I am now in the process of selling or trading off the remaining 60 or so Derby's I have left. I'm a Feather convert.

Once you get your shaving technique down, Feathers are not to be feared.

When I first started wetshaving I hated them, they destroyed my face. Now about a year later I love them, I quess my technique improved a little since then!

+2^1000 I keep coming back to Feathers. The only razor where I didn't feel I mastered it was in, of all things, the Feather Portable. I'm sure that's just me, so at some point I'll really concentrate on that combination. Feather in the 38C and the Schick DE are especially wonderful.

Just got around to trying the feathers that came with my sampler pack, and I have to agree. They gave me a nice, close shave with no nicks or irritation. I think I found my new favorite blade.

Top Bottom