What's new

So what's the advantage of single edge shaving? Gems etc

Now I know nothing about single edge razors, such as Gems, as I haven't used SE razors.

I took a cursory glance at the cost of SE blades and they appear to be twice the price of DE but with half as many edges. Thus making them four times as expensive to use as DE.

So why use SE...?

I find that, by and large, I get as many shaves from a single edge blade as I can from a double edge. I'm not sure why this is true, but it may have to do with the thicker material of the SE blade just holds it's edge better.

As far as why to use a SE, there are quite a few folks that feel that the best shave they can get comes from a SE. Be aware that not all SE's are created equal any more than if you were to state that all DE razors shave the same . . . it just isn't the case.

If you were to ask my recommondation, I would suggest you get a 1912 Gem Junior, Ever-ready or Star. These razors all have the same head but have many different handle styles and different platings as well as the names stamped on them. They were all made by American Safety Razor and carry the 1912 patent date. They were sold for many years, up into the 1940's, and were very popular and, consequently, are quite plentiful and resonably priced.

If you can find an even older, Gem Junior, or Ever-ready of the lather catcher type, generally called a bar razor, I feel you will have found the best shaving safety razor of them all.

If you do decide to take this trip into the world of SE's, be sure to keep the head of the razor almost flat against your face. . . take your time and give the razor at least a week's worth of shaves. They do have a little different feel and require a different angle than a DE.

Regards,
Tom

I get closer shaves with s/e razors but the blades are more expensive than those for a d/e.Though they do seem to last longer. A small price to pay for great shaves.:biggrin::biggrin:

they are over rated and not worth mentioning........ if you are still here you didn't fall for it so I might as well type the truth. I think they are great razors, they give me better shaves than any of my DEs.

The only drawback, if you can call it that, is they do require a light touch. I thought I had good technique until I picked up a Gem. If I had to pick only one razor, it would be a SE.

Top Bottom