What's new

Gillette TTO, open comb and gold. What is it?

I was wandering through an antique shop today and saw a gold coloured Gillette TTO with an open comb. It wasn't in wonderful condition but the TTO worked and the plating loss wasn't terrible. It was in a pretty beat up box and the price tag was something like $27.50. I didn't have any cash in my pocket so it's still in the shop.

Anyway, what is it? I thought Gillette abandoned the open comb for their one piece razors?

Sounds like a Sheraton.

proxy.php

Ah Sheraton - the box looked like that too.

Should I go back and buy it?

So I went and checked on this razor thanks to Siv's tipoff. Teeth are straight. Box is in terrible shape. Guy won't haggle. This is his cheapest razor.

He had 3 gillette travel techs in boxes in various conditions for $45 and up.

Worst was the cracked handle Old with about 40% plating for... wait for it...

$145 :eek:

I tried to explain that he'll have that Old for the rest of his life. He seemed to think I was trying to rook him. :001_rolle

I may go back for the Sheraton.

Another place had an Knack (02 I believe). Scuffed but plating was solid. No handle cracks. $7.50. Didn't buy that one because it wasn't what I was looking for :)

I'm glad you had a look. It's funny - when something looks older, they automatically assume it's worth more - I guess this is why the TTO was cheaper than the older razors when it's probably worth more.

I think I'm going to stick to new razors... Anyway, gold just isn't my thing :wink:

Gold isn't really my thing either but I'm up for trying a new razor. His price was a bit high from what I can tell but *much* better than any of his others.

That guy had lots more SE stuff... a nice looking boxed Rolls and a few valet autostrops and gems.

One thing to consider is that many B&B members have razors in much better condition that can be had for less. An added plus is that they will be invariably cleaned and ready to use.

Top Bottom