What's new

Merkur Progress Problem

Hi Guys,

I ordered a Merkur Progress off some UK site.

I suddenly realized that when i put a blade, both sides are not equal, i mean lets say i put it on setting "1" one side seems to be much wider than the other side.:mad3:
Is that normal ?
How can i fix this ?

Thanks for your answers

Make sure the notches are lined up when you take the razor apart to load a blade. A notch and triangle should be on the same side. This may be your problem.

Good luck:w00t:

Also, it does pay to eyeball the blade before tightening it in and position it with equal exposure on both sides. Blades seem to have enough play in them to require this.
Larry

Required viewing for all new Progress owners:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZvMmuX_GE[/YOUTUBE]

Mantic has some invaluable tips in his other videos, too.

Make sure the notches are lined up when you take the razor apart to load a blade. A notch and triangle should be on the same side. This may be your problem.

Good luck:w00t:

The head is (or should be) symmetrical, the purpose of the notch and triangle is so that the adjustment scale will read close to "1" when tighten down with a blade in it.
Other wise it would be 180 degrees off and read 3 1/2.

I think the problem was the i didnt fasten the blade in correctly, will try again on my next shave and see if it corrects.

The video was helpful :)

:( unfortunately that did not fix the problem of un-equal blade exposure on both sides, what should i do ?

You could return it and hope that you get a symmetrical one, perhaps the replacement would be more symmetrical.

My progress (bought 7 months ago) has the same problem, I have marked the handle of the razor with red nail polish to indicate which side is more agressive and use that to my advantage, 1st pass mild side, 2nd pass coarse side, and in that way I use both sides of the blade equally. This defect is especially noticeable with Derby blades.

Edit:
I phoned Merkur in Germany for clarification of this "defect" and the reason that the blade centering mechanism has such large tolerances is due to the plating process, it's difficult to control the plating to the exact thickness which would give the exact tolerances for a "interferance fit", this plating variation results in each Merkur progress being unique and the centering tolerances of the blade are also unique.
The Rep that I spoke was very informative and told me that she would advise the technical department of this issue, and that it wasn't the first time this issue had been brought up, whether the technical department does anything about it is dependant on the cost of changing the production line for tighter blade tolerances and improving the plating process, versus sales of units at current price point. Changing the method of blade centering is also not an option due to patent infringements and costs.

So, would a replacement razor fix this issue, no......

My recent Progress purchase, has prompted me to inspect it with a fine tooth comb, and I have found no problem with the alignment of mine (small comfort to you I know, sorry). However I have noticed that the interim head is sprung, perhaps this should also be installed at the factory in a correct way (much like the top head), and this has not been done? Anyone dissasembled one to confirm this???

Tom

Just sent them an email requesting to replace it - let's wait and see what they reply.

After my call to them it's apparent that these defects are "built in" so to speak, you might get lucky and get a razor which has thicker plating which would center the blade more precisely.

Sound like a good reason NOT to buy a progress and get a super adjustable instead.

Tim
I'm literally in love with my Gillette Slim Adjustable but the Progress which I had earlier complements it. Although the Slim is shaving more smoothly it isn't as close as the Progress. And my Progress doesn't have a noticable problem whatsoever.

Top Bottom