What's new

Old Spice, and Aqua Velva

Great film.

On the topic of OS and AV, its true that most women do like them - if they smell them before you tell them what it is.

There is a certain masulinity, familiarity and comfort associated with scents that remind you of the men in your family. I don't wear OS as I don't really care for it, but on those occasions that I did, I almost always received compliments. I almost always get compliments when I wear AS (either the classic or the original sport.

Oh, FWIW, the compliments have come from women of all ages, so its not a generational thing.

While I suspect that OS and AV may not get compiments from younger women (as in under 25 - that's younger to me!), that's not the demographic I'm trying to impress...

Well, I like the smell of original Old Spice, but I found that most younger women don't like it on me. They love the "Fresh" AS and the original "Classic" bodywash, but original scent A/S or cologne really crinkles the noses on women under 40. It was even worse when I wore the Schulton version. My High School girlfriend leaned in to kiss me and pushed me away sharply. She said I smelled like "a dirty old man". I went years without trying Old Spice.

Aqua Velva, however, speaks to women of all ages. It's not overpowering or offensive like OS can be if used in excess. And I'm finding that if a woman likes only one type of musk, it's going to be AV musk. Pinaud Citrus Musk is a close second.

I've gotten positive comments from Old Spice, but truthfully I gave my bottle of AV to my dad before I ever wore much in public.

I've gotten positive comments from Old Spice, but truthfully I gave my bottle of AV to my dad before I ever wore much in public.

I often get compliments when I wear Old Spice. The usual response is, "you're kidding; it never smelled that good on me". I think the key with OS is to wear it after the stuff ages on the shelf for a long time. It does smell better over time and also, better by the end of the day. As for AV, I love the stuff but after about ten minutes, it smells stale to me. I would wear AV often if it were not for that fact. But I'm all about the Spice.

In the short time I've been using AV, I've recieved several compliments. I'm 26 and most of the compliments were from ladies under 30.

I actually bought some Aqua Velva yesterday along with some Clubman.
Had not tried the Clubman before, and I really like it.

The AV will have to wait till tomorrow though.

Wondering how cooling it will be when combined with using C.O. Bigelow for my lather. :velva2::velva2::velva2:

My sister, 40, told me that Old Spice Original has 0 (zero) masculinity :lol:

(P&G's version)

She likes Old Spice Showtime though

Aye, that is what's stopping me from wearing it atm.. Old Spice probably has an even worse reputation then Axe..

I know all about younger women being surprised about different "old man" scents smelling so good on me. Clubman, Brut, Aqua Velva, etc I find that most women like it on me (I'm 27), but Old Spice original just makes them cringe.

P.S. that high school girlfriend who said I smelled like a dirty old man always said that Mennen Skin Bracer Cool Spice was her favorite aftershave on me. Jovan Sex Appeal used to drive her wild too, so go figure. :lol:

Just tried it today with the C.O. Bigelow.

Not as cooling as expected, but no burn at all (even where I overbuffed :blushing: )

It did make my face feel wet though, kind of annoying.

Top Bottom