What's new

Do all badger tips soften with use?

I have read many times that Rooney brush tips (or maybe the whole length of hair) should soften with use. I just received my B&B Essential, and find the tips a bit prickly/strichy/stratchy. Do not know what grade the bristles are on the B&BE and have only used it twice, but am wondering if I should expect them to soften after more shaves. Don't know if the softening is just a characteristic of the Rooney, particular grades of hair, or badger in general. Thanks!

Hair softening is especially needed with pure badger brushes. I wouldn't touch mine if it was as stiff as in the first use.

You can "hurry" the softening process by using a conditioner on it a few times during the first 2 weeks, and about once a month thereafter, but most bristles will break down a bit with normal use.

I have read many times that Rooney brush tips (or maybe the whole length of hair) should soften with use. I just received my B&B Essential, and find the tips a bit prickly/strichy/stratchy. Do not know what grade the bristles are on the B&BE and have only used it twice, but am wondering if I should expect them to soften after more shaves. Don't know if the softening is just a characteristic of the Rooney, particular grades of hair, or badger in general. Thanks!

I'm with you on the B&B Essential. However, I'm on my 5th use of the brush and have already noticed the tips are softer. I think an overall softening of the hair shaft shafts is only part of the issue. I believe the softness of the tips is the other part of the story.

If you look closely at the tips (magnifying glass) you will see there are two types. The first taper into fine little points on the ends and look like any other soft animal hair (Dog, cat etc.) You'll also notice that there are some tips with the ends that are squared off. I believe these are hairs that have been cut to length by the maker to mix grades of hair to reduce the cost of the brush. My theory is that it's the edges/ends of these little buggers that feel prickly/skritchy/sharp. Now, no amount of vinegar, hair conditioner etc, etc. is going to soften these. The only thing that will is use. What you're trying to do is wear down those sharp cut ends so they're polished and smooth. The best way, and only reliable way that I know of, is to use the brush. Lathering in a bowl with some texture to it would seem to make sense.

The above is just my theory however, I have a TOBS Imitation brush that was fairly scratchy when I got it almost nine months ago. I've used this brush almost daily since that time and I noticed today when I was comparing it to the B&B Essential that it is no longer scratchy at all. So, I believe with prolonged use the tips of a brush do get softer.

You can "hurry" the softening process by using a conditioner on it a few times during the first 2 weeks, and about once a month thereafter, but most bristles will break down a bit with normal use.

+1 on the above.

You can also lather in a bowl for the first few weeks, instead of on your face, to minimize the amount of scritch you have to deal with on the face.

Best of luck.

J

Thanks all! I am certainly going to be using it a lot, so expect the tips to soften. Really nice brush!

I'm with you on the B&B Essential. However, I'm on my 5th use of the brush and have already noticed the tips are softer. I think an overall softening of the hair shaft shafts is only part of the issue. I believe the softness of the tips is the other part of the story.

If you look closely at the tips (magnifying glass) you will see there are two types. The first taper into fine little points on the ends and look like any other soft animal hair (Dog, cat etc.) You'll also notice that there are some tips with the ends that are squared off. I believe these are hairs that have been cut to length by the maker to mix grades of hair to reduce the cost of the brush. My theory is that it's the edges/ends of these little buggers that feel prickly/skritchy/sharp. Now, no amount of vinegar, hair conditioner etc, etc. is going to soften these. The only thing that will is use. What you're trying to do is wear down those sharp cut ends so they're polished and smooth. The best way, and only reliable way that I know of, is to use the brush. Lathering in a bowl with some texture to it would seem to make sense.

The above is just my theory however, I have a TOBS Imitation brush that was fairly scratchy when I got it almost nine months ago. I've used this brush almost daily since that time and I noticed today when I was comparing it to the B&B Essential that it is no longer scratchy at all. So, I believe with prolonged use the tips of a brush do get softer.

BINGO!

Cut hair/square tips = prickly feel.

I also noticed the mixed grade of hair in my B&B Essential (v 2.0). It's not too scratchy though. Nice brush, great handle.

-Andy

I have no complaints at all with my Essentials brush ... either with the softness or the "aroma" that many have commented on. The only time it smells like Badger is when its still damp. After it dries out, all I smell is the last soap or cream that I used.

If it gets softer as time goes on, so much the better.

The Essential does seem slightly stiffer than my C&E BBB, which has had about 2 months of breaking in, but has yet to be cleaned ... I may try that this week and see if it makes any difference.

On another note, will very hot water damage the tips on a badger knot? And if so what can be done other than trimming?
Thanks

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Dude, 14+ years....smh
1677930857340.jpeg

I didn't know you shouldn't resurrect old threads on B&B.

How many times do you see folks suggesting that "a topic" has been discussed before (complete with links).

Usually, you would preface the resurrection with some statement - but if you don't, so what?

I didn't know you shouldn't resurrect old threads on B&B.

How many times do you see folks suggesting that "a topic" has been discussed before (complete with links).

Usually, you would preface the resurrection with some statement - but if you don't, so what?

This^^^

And it would be nice if someone would just simply answer his question. I would, but don't know the answer.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've read lots of older threads and responded to them. I just reopened the "dead badger" thread just the other day because i found it so humorous... I didn't want any of the newer members to miss it. It continues to be a blast.

To answer the question: I don't have a lot of Badger Brushes.... just three SV 2.0 Manchurians, one Zenith Manchurian and an Elite Razor Manchurian badger. All of them had a short break in period... 10 or 12 shaves or so.

Others have more experience with the other kinds of Badger knots.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
On another note, will very hot water damage the tips on a badger knot? And if so what can be done other than trimming?
Thanks
Never trim a badger brush ... don't ask.
Best to treat the knot gently in the first place to avoid damage, of course!

Top Bottom