What's new

Who were "really" the fastest guns in hollywood?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don Knotts of course

$tumblr_inline_myyr5xWLtM1rtc9of.gif

Hi guys,

I made this video up with some clips from the 1985 movie Silverado. Arvo Ojala was the gun coach for Hollywood and taught hundreds to draw and handle a revolver. He taught all the famous stars we know today and many forgotten from yesteryear like Marilyn Monroe.
He taught James Arnes, Sammy Davis, Clint Eastwood, most if not all mentioned in this topic. I also had the pleasure of being able to talk to one of his daughters. She even taught me how to correctly pronounce his first and last name in his native country of Finland. I also have a few photos posted photos from the Ojala Family collection of Hollywood Stars and Arvo from the enternet. Anyhow, ignore my old face in the video and enjoy Arvo, Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover and Kevin Costner. I think the voice is from the director Lawrence Kasdan

$14112_1384465056156_1367884846_31068443_3647602_n.jpg$148857_1702293921679_1367884846_31814848_6064051_n.jpg$381460_313346368710030_187401044637897_931797_1227860832_n.jpg$381651_313346312043369_187401044637897_931795_2064306176_n.jpg$388784_2687500079758_1116415894_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Audie Murphy would have blown Wyatt away in a hollywood-style quick draw shootout, just as he would have any of the fast draw actors. Not only was he in the same league with them for speed, he was WILLING. Wyatt Earp was never a noted gunman in his own time, Stuart Lake notwithstanding. IIRC, the shootout at the OK Corral was his first time out, and the rest of his shootouts were ambushes and executions.

Actually, the fastest man with a gun to appear on film was likely Arvo Ajalo, most noted as the guy who taught most of the actors how to handle a sixgun, although he appeared in speaking roles now and then.
Audy
Not likely that Wyatt was the fastest. Wyatt's famous quote pointed to the fact that accuracy was for more important than speed, which he did not have. "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." And he was correct :biggrin:

Jerry Lewis was the fastes, with Sammy Davis JR running a close second. At least, according to Bob Munden.
Audie Murphy was clocked the fastest and most accurate of all Hollywood cowboys! Hughe O'Brien put up a$5000.00 wager that no one could beat hi .25 seconds draw. That's slow especially when blanks are used. Audie Murphy only used live ammo and had been timed out at.085 seconds. The Father of the fast draw Dee Woolem not a noted tv cowboy drew at .12seconds. official record of the day.

I don't know know who was the fastest but I seem to recall that Irving was the 142nd fastest gun...in the West.

Not likely that Wyatt was the fastest. Wyatt's famous quote pointed to the fact that accuracy was for more important than speed, which he did not have. "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." And he was correct :biggrin:

Jerry Lewis was the fastes, with Sammy Davis JR running a close second. At least, according to Bob Munden.
Robert A. Heinlein's Lazarus Long advised, "Get a shot off fast. This upsets your opponent long enough for you to make your second shot perfect."

That Hollyweird business of a showdown in the middle of the street type of duel - how does that work, anyway?
What are the rules? I don't mean the formal duel of honor with seconds and counting off paces and so on.
If it's "the guy who shoots second can claim self defense", then why would either of them shoot first? Why not just shoot the varmint from the safety of a second-story window?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That Hollyweird business of a showdown in the middle of the street type of duel - how does that work, anyway?
What are the rules? I don't mean the formal duel of honor with seconds and counting off paces and so on.
If it's "the guy who shoots second can claim self defense", then why would either of them shoot first? Why not just shoot the varmint from the safety of a second-story window?
It didn't happen that often in real life. In fact, most towns had strict gun ordinances.

And just for fun, here's Robert Culp in action. Reportedly he trained with both Ojalo and Redwing.

It didn't happen that often in real life. In fact, most towns had strict gun ordinances.

From what I understand, the "classic" showdown at high noon was an extreme rarity, probably more Hollywood embellishment than fact. Most shootings were ambushes, usually with a rifle, or shooting them in the back when they were not looking.

Ken Curtis was pretty fast - I can recall at least two or three full-shot regular speed no-camera-tricks draws on Gunsmoke that were surprisingly fast.

For several seasons in the 60s James Arness opened every Gunsmoke episode by getting off the second shot in a street duel. Accurate beats fast.

Others might be the quickest draw with a prop gun loaded with blanks. But Mr Earp is, without doubt, the wisest on such matters and certainly biggest badass mentioned so far.

Others might be the quickest draw with a prop gun loaded with blanks. But Mr Earp is, without doubt, the wisest on such matters and certainly biggest badass mentioned so far.

You missed Audie Murphy? Earp was primarily a creation of Stuart Lake. Murphy was the real deal.

Top Bottom