What's new

Who were "really" the fastest guns in hollywood?

As did Bat Masterson also. John Wesley Hardin may have been the biggest psychopath. He shot a man for snoring. And in later life became a lawyer. Damn!

On film anyway Glenn Ford was freakishly quick.

I am not surprised about Sammy because (a. he was good at everything and (b. I saw him on Wild Wild West standing mano-a-mano with the great Robert Conrad and he did not come off as a lesser man.

The only one I would be afraid of was Audie Murphy--experience counts for a whole lot.

Saw a ranking once and Audie Murphy was #1, Sammy Davis Jr. #2, Glen Ford #3, Ken Curtis (Festus) #4 and Lee Van Cleef was #5.

An interesting side note was John Wayne had so much trouble learning to use a single action in his early movies that he used a special made double action for shoot outs when he could not use a stand in.

Legion

Staff member
There is a big difference between drawing fast, and drawing fast and being able to hit your target.

Google FBI agent Jelly Bryce. Nothing to do with Hollywood, but he was the real deal.

proxy.php

" Delf Bryce could drop a silver dollar, as shown in the picture, and he could draw and fire before the coin passed the gun which was at waist level. Bryce was one of those incredibly and naturally skilled men who could point shoot and hit everything they aimed at."

Hollywood is one thing, real life is another. Wild Bill Hickock dropped an opponent, Davis Tutt, with a single shot through the heart at 75 yards. While Tutt was standing in dueling position, shooting at him. I would consider that a pretty good at 25 yards, but at 75 yds when he is shooting at you too...!!

with a pretty darn old (even for the time) pistol nonetheless.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Do Spagehetti Westerns like Terence Hill in "Trinity Is Still My Name" count?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Like to see that again? It's hard to catch the first time". Terence Hill in "Trinity Is Still My Name"

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a big difference between drawing fast, and drawing fast and being able to hit your target.

Google FBI agent Jelly Bryce. Nothing to do with Hollywood, but he was the real deal.

proxy.php

" Delf Bryce could drop a silver dollar, as shown in the picture, and he could draw and fire before the coin passed the gun which was at waist level. Bryce was one of those incredibly and naturally skilled men who could point shoot and hit everything they aimed at."

I lived in Oklahoma City 1971-73 and got aqcquainted with him, he was in his 60s at that time and I wouldn't have wanted to have tried my luck with him; he was both fast and accurate. Bill Jordan, Harry Reeves, Jeff Cooper, Thell Reed, Ed McGivern, Charles Adkins Jr., Larry Lalouette, Jerry Miculek are/were others I have met/seen who were worthy contemporaries/peers of him. He, Charles Adkins Jr., Bill Jordan were some of if not the best at shooting others who were also shooting at them and Mr. Bryce may have been the best of all; a fine man as well as a fine lawman.

Last edited:
Good thread. I am unsure of Audie Murphy(my Da actually met him once) or old Sammy but Glenn Ford was the real deal. I have subscribed to various firearms publications for decades and have seen numerous articles about Ford's abilities with handguns. And not movie prop squib loads either. Full load for cablibre ammunition. He was very fast.

If you are interested in this sort of thing look up Bill Jordan, Thell Reed, Ed McGivern, and another from the 70's who's name escapes me at the moment. Guns and Ammo had a time lapse photo sequence in which the chap split a playing card on edge. AFTER if was thrown in the air. This was will full load commercial ammo. I cannot fathom the hand to eye coordination it took to hit the edge of the flying playing card. Let alone how he anticipated the movement a fraction of a second before the shot was let off. Amazing.

Cheers, Todd

I heard on the internet, oh 3 years ago maybe, that John Doucette was considered the fastest among Hollywood shootists. Anyone else ever hear that???

Actually, most the public "knowledge" of Wyatt Earp is pure Hollywood myth. There is no documentation to show that he was ever a regular law enforcement officer of any kind. At best he was a "special deputy" hired by the Kansas cow towns during the cattle season. The rest of the time, his most respectable regular occupation was that of gambler. Masterson, Tilghman, et al were full-time law officers, as was Virgil Earp.

Top Bottom