What's new

Getting Started In Wet Shaving On The Cheap

P

Pogo

GETTING STARTED IN WET SHAVING ON THE CHEAP​

The thought occurs to me that some would like to get started in wet shaving but are deterred by uncertainty what to buy, expense, and reticence to order over the Internet.

To get those people introduced to the benefits of wet shaving cheaply (less than $10.00), quickly (today), and locally (available in your neighborhood), I offer these suggestions.

RAZORS.

One of the principles of wet shaving, as promoted by Badger and Blade, is the single-blade razor. The advantages are avoiding the expense, irritation, and illogic of multiblade razors. Choices in single-blade razors are largely limited to double-edge razors and Bic Sensitive disposables.

Before investing in or ordering a double-edge razor, I suggest buying a package of Bic Sensitive disposables. A package of a dozen at Wal-Mart costs less than $2.50; with gratis two or three razors in the bag, the unit cost is less than 20 cents.

If you can get past their inexpensive appearance and evaluate them for what they are, you may appreciate, as I do, that they are fine shaving instruments. I’ve never had a bad one. It’s easy to find the correct angle. They last; I have a fairly heavy beard and I can get a week’s shave from one.

They have other advantages. I’m klutzy and frequently slice myself loading and unloading double-edge razors; the problem is avoided with Bic Sensitives. Bics may be taken in carry-on airplane luggage; double-edge blades can’t.

SHAVING CREAMS.

There is an intimidating availability of shaving creams, soaps, and oils. If you want to get started on the cheap, I have a suggestion. Choose from one of these three: Tom’s of Maine (check tomsofmaine.com for a store near you), C. O. Bigelow at Bath & Body Works (bathandbodyworks.com), or, for Canadians, Florena. Don’t agonize over which to buy; they’re all good and they all cost less than $7.00. Just choose the one that’s easiest for you to acquire.

PREPARATION.

Preparation is paramount. Wet whiskers are softer and easier to cut than dry whiskers. It takes three minutes to saturate whiskers. You can use a wet terrycloth washcloth (flannel) with or without soap and gently rub your beard area. The abrasion of the washcloth may also lift hairs that tend to become ingrown. With winter and dry skin, you can omit the soap or use it only on the first pass.

BRUSHES.

You don’t need one to get started. I anticipate a lot of disagreement on this point. Nevertheless, just squeeze a half-inch of cream on the palmar surfaces of your wet fingers and rub the fingers of your hands against each other; you’ll soon build an acceptable lather which can then be augmented by rubbing your fingers on your face and adding water by repeatedly wetting your fingers.

TECHNIQUE.

Limit yourself to a single with-the-grain pass. Know why you’re making each stroke and make each stroke count. Don’t go over the same area more than once and never go against-the-grain. It takes discipline not to take extra strokes and not to go against-the-grain, but you’ll learn good technique faster if you limit yourself. You can take care of those missed areas tomorrow.

Rinse thoroughly and that’s pretty much it.

AFTERSHAVE BALMS.

If you find you need an aftershave balm, use whatever is around the house. I use the complimentary white lotion I pick up in motel rooms.

PROLEPTIC RESPONSES.

My suggestions probably represent a minority opinion of the members of the board. You won’t have the gratification of holding a finely crafted metal double-edge razor. You won’t have the luxury and satisfaction of building lather with a badger brush. But you will get better shaves than you previously did, your face will feel healthier, you’ll save money, and you have a lifetime to indulge in the acquisition disorders that are endemic to members of the fraternity.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY SHAVING.

That's describing a great way to start! I would like to add additional options: There are neat little badgers out there if you know where to search: Keep your eyes open for a pure badger brush. If you are unsure you can always come back to B&B and start a thread. Usually they go about 10$ give or take.
A good entry level DE razor is the Wilkinson Sword Classic. It's plastic but it comes with a pack of Wilkinson DE blades so it won't hurt you wallet too much.

I also think this is good starter advice. A couple more thoughts...

If you can find a "Bic Metal" disposable try that, it is somewhat better than the "Bic Sensitive." If you want to try a DE razor on the cheap there are several out that that do the job. Search for "DE razor" on a site like Amazon. I got a "Lord" DE razor there for under $10.

One of the first additional purchases I would make would be a brush. If you want to go cheap try a boar brush. You can often find a VDH brush at the local pharmacy for under $10. In fact I got a bowl, brush and soap for about $10. VDH brushes aren't the best, they tend to shed and they aren't very "sexy" but they will serve you for a couple of years at least (or until you decide to upgrade).

Never forget the power of the holidays. Shaving gifts are relatively cheap, ask for them to build up your shaving stuff.

P

Pogo

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

A word about Bic Metal razors: they used to (1970's & 1980's) be more common than they are now but they can still be found. I've used them but abandoned them. When I finished shaving I looked like the victim of a slasher. However, YMMV. If you try Bic Metal razors, use a very light hand (as you always should when shaving) and have a styptic pencil ready.

About brushes: it appears that nearly everyone on Badger and Blade uses a brush. I've tried them repeatedly but find I can build a fully satisfying lather without one. You'll undoubtedly get a brush; it's inevitable. The suggestions of pure badger and boar are excellent.

Stay with it. Keep it simple. Don't add unnecessary variables. You'll learn quickly.

Dont forget the Van Der Hagan line at WalMart!

Soap is about $1.50 and the brush is about $3.50 great starter equipment.
My local Pharmacy also carries Burma Shave brushes, which IMHO are better than the VDH brushes.

What, you mean I don't have to run out and buy the most expensive Merkur razor?

Where was this post five years ago when I needed it? :)

+1

I would buy The Body Shop brush for $11. It's miles better than your hands and you can continue using it even if you go back to the cartridges.

I would also steal a bowl from the kitchen to make lather in... It's so much easier to make lather in a bowl!

P

Pogo

FLTiger:

Thank you.

Better late than never.

Siv:

Chacun à son goût.

Less is more.
(Robert Browning)
(Ludwig Mies van der Rohe)
(Buckminster Fuller)

Great post, Pogo. I am totally in agreement with the "just jump right in" message of your article. Don't waste time worrying about which razor, brush, soap, aftershave, scuttle, pre-shave oil, etc. you should use. Get whatever is nearby and start practicing.

I would suggest procuring a Van der Hagen boar brush, though. :rolleyes:

P

Pogo

Sklegg and New2DEShaving_Montreal:

Thank you for your kind words.

My father said, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Pogo

That Bic disposable is actually a quite decent razor. I have never had a bad shave with one. You don't get emotionally attached to a disposable as you do with your favorite old "real" razor, and you can't experiment with different blades with one, but other than that...
I think a soap might be cheaper than a cream, and for that you will want a brush. There are a number of cheap but servicable brushes out there...VDH et al. You can improvise a mug or bowl.

Luckily someone posted the advice to "ask an older friend/relative".
The first one I talked to looked through his stuff and sent me a gold
Gillette "New" model razor w/ the long comb --Free
(he sent me some really old Williams "tonsorial" shave soap in old paper packaging that I tossed under the sink)

On a shelf at my mother's, on display in her bathroom was my
Grandfather's "Ever-ready" shave brush--Free

I ran up to the grocery and there on the shelf at the end of the
shaving section I found a puck of "Williams" -- 99 cents.

Of course now I've added 3 other soaps and some Nivea balm, but
not a bad start for 99 cents. :001_smile

P

Pogo

Roman414:

The Bic Sensitive disposable is an underappreciated razor. I know of nothing that competes with it.

Not being able to experiment with different blades or different settings is ideal for a newbie who should limit variables and concentrate on technique.

It's hard to get cheaper than $5.00 for 1.7 ounces of C. O. Bigelow shave cream at Bath and Body Works.

Pogo

Great thread. Thanks. When I started looking into really wet shaving (not the version that I was doing - swishing a wet brush over the soap a few times, running it over your face and going at it with the good ole Mach 3, which actually gave me decent shaves) I had just upgraded to a new brush. In my research I read about using DE razors and I remembered that I actually had my Dad's W1 Gillette black handled adjustable. I never really considered using it before but thought it was cool to have. I also can't tell you how many vintage DEs I passed by at thrift shops, antique stores, flea markets, etc., without paying the slightest attention to. For me, I really got into this from the enjoyment that I got using my dad's old shaving brush and soap.

I'll recommend this thread to my Brother-In-Law who is looking into wet shaving. Sounds like a great way to start.

P

Pogo

ofafeather:

Thank you.

There's no razor, cream, soap, or brush that can compensate for bad technique.

Hope the thread helps your brother-in-law.

Very solid advice, overall, and well thought out.

My only differences would be the brush- it is superior to the hands, IMHO, and I'm not a bic disposable fan. If I'm going disposable, I prefer a pivot head. You are correct, though, in terms of a beginner using a single blade bic to SORT OF get the feel for shaving with a true safety razor.

Long term, it's much cheaper to use a true safety razor. At 12 cents a blade or less, for brands such as crystals and red ips, they blow away the bics.

You can upgrade to a scuttle for $2.50 plus tax. Go to Walmart. They have heavy ceramic bowls with a band about 5/8" (eyeball measure) high around the rim for $1.25 each. This band leaves a space for hot water when the two are nested. If you run hot water in the bottom for a short period, then place the top one in and let water run in it while you collect your first lather in the brush, the bowls will keep your lather nice and warm while you shave.

For the sake of getting as much people as possible on the wet shaving train not having to buy a bowl/brush is exactly what Pogo wanted to point out.

It depends on the man you have in front of you: Some actually (e.g. us) want to have a bowl. But if you know that he wnats the easy I wouldn't advice a bowl in the first way.

If he's addicted you can advice whatever you want but first turn him into a true convert (which w/o the bowl IMO is much easier).

Top Bottom