What's new

Getting Started In Wet Shaving On The Cheap

ofafeather:

...There's no razor, cream, soap, or brush that can compensate for bad technique....

Great point. Still working on mine. Just wanted to point out that people arrive at Wet Shaving in different ways. I was already somewhat involved (albeit very ignorant) based on the shaving tools that I had inherited from my dad. Other approach it and are starting from foam and Mach 3s, etc. I was looking for more soap, then found out about the brush and proper lather technique and the fact that Wet Shaving was really about water (duh?). Just coming from different places.

My brother-in-law is coming from the other place, which is why I thought this might be great for him. I lent him Leisure Guy's book and after that he was very interested.

I like the fact that not only are your suggestions wallet friendly, but they really help cut down on the variables so you can focus on technique. Keep it up.

Eric

P

Pogo

Zach V.:

Thank you for your compliments.

I know I'll always be in the minority about skipping the brush.

One of the reasons I suggest the Bic Sensitive is that it is not a pivot-head razor. Being a fixed-head razor, it continuously forces you to find the right angle, a necessary skill when it's time to progress to a double-edge razor.

Kit Walker:

Neat trick with your Wal-Mart nesting bowls.

Please post it in the General shaving forum so others can find your suggestion easier.

Dharion:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for seeing my focus on initial simplicity. I was starting to feel lonesome.

Eric:

Thank you for seeing my focus on building technique.

Your insight that we come to wet shaving by different routes points that we need to individualize the way we build our techniques.

By limiting variables it's easier to see the consequences of our choices.

Happy shaving!

Pogo

Thank you so much for this post! Finding any non-generic single blade razors was easier said than done, but I did finally come across some in a local drug store. All of the comments about ways to use things you already have were so helpful too- shaving turns out to be a great way to turn around naive young parent buyers' remorse. I had success lathering with a boar bristle baby brush that came in a baby grooming kit we never used for my daughter, and used calendula (probably 5 years old now) and tea tree oil from my medicine cabinet for an aftershave. Was somewhat tempted to try putting some diaper ointment on a bit of underarm razor burn, but didn't take it that far (yet).

Keep it simple and you will control the expense. There is no need to buy numerous brushes, and countless razors. If you start slowly, focus on technique and getting good shaves, you will have plenty of time to collect those later. By then, you will have learned a bit about what you like best, and you can make more informed purchases. Enjoy your shaves!

And Another Thread Re-animated....

$Young-Frankenstein-40th-Anniversary-main.jpg

Top Bottom