What's new

Simpson, Rooney, Shavemac Size Comparo

Gents,
Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.
Polo 12 (super), Shavemac XXL Horn (silvertip), Rooney (silvertip), Simpsons PJ2 (super) In order from largest to smallest.

P1010058.JPG

From the top...
P1010057.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010055.JPG

Rooney next to PJ2 (notice the thicker knot on the rooney)
P1010054.JPG

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Blast from the Past!

full

Rooney Heritage Beehive, Simpsons Chubby2 super, Simpsons Chubby1 best, B&B "Essential", B&B Limited Edition 2008

... only the two Simpsons were on the market when Joel made the earlier post ... the two B&Bs and the Beehive are more recent creations (although I understand the Beehive is based on a model from the 18th Century or thereabouts.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Doc. Joel's "Brush Wars" saga was quite the epic, the stuff quest myths are made of. Thank you for bringing this back to the fore where it belongs.

Thank you Doc. Joel's "Brush Wars" saga was quite the epic, the stuff quest myths are made of. Thank you for bringing this back to the fore where it belongs.
I ran into this one in a random google search. Seems like it's about time for another brush wars, what do you think?

Alea iacta est!

Let's do it....

LE 2014 with Shavemac 2 band D01 knot, M&F Chief in Blonde Badger, Simpsons LE M6 in Manchurian, Geoff Anderson in WSP finest and Somerset era Simpsons BAC in 25/50 mm TGN 2 band

Alea iacta est!

Let's do it....

LE 2014 with Shavemac 2 band D01 knot, M&F Chief in Blonde Badger, Simpsons LE M6 in Manchurian, Geoff Anderson in WSP finest and Somerset era Simpsons BAC in 25/50 mm TGN 2 band

The brush wars was something I did about 8 years ago - if you see the original posting dates and subsequent replies it starts to make a little more sense. The Brush Wars weren't a "who has the best/most brushes" but an idea to buy a bunch of brushes and test and compare them in detail with a systematic process over a period of time. For some time there was an entire forum dedicated to it, where I posted pics of the brushes being unwrapped and used for the first time, bloom photos, pages of text/commentary, etc. Now that the forum is gone - the posts are all over the place and I can't find the main post - but the following will give you a brief idea of the magnitude....

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

The magnitude of Joels effort was what attracted me to this forum in the first place in late 2007.

I had no idea that I should consider these brush comparisons as the model of all serious brush discussions, including mine. I also had no idea of how slippery the slope was neither how deep the rabbit hole is when you look at it from the bottom... :whistling:

Very much looking forward to carrying on the tradition when the Holiday LE 2014 from Rudy Vey arrives!

I ran into this one in a random google search. Seems like it's about time for another brush wars, what do you think?

Hmm, give me some time to think this over...<1 nanosecond> After much contemplation, I'm going to say YES!

Seems like it's about time for another brush wars, what do you think?

Cool

$Badgers.jpg

Badgers that still see action:
Top Row: Rooney 3/1; Vintage Blades Brand Finest; Thater 4292/3; Thater 4125/1; Thater 4125/0
Bottom Row: Shavemac 2-band; Rudy Vey SM Silvertip; RV SM Finest; ShaveJoe TGN 2-band; SJ TGN 2-band; Savile Row3122; Whipped Dog Silvertip

$SemogueLinup.jpg

Semogues:
1800; 1305; 1438; SOC; 1460; IB LE 2012; 830; 1250

$Om3a1.jpg

Omega:
49; 10810; B&B

Top Bottom