What's new

Pens; Fountain, Rollerball and the Like

I have a few of what I call "Good" pens. I have a 144 Montblanc Meisterstuck Fountain, a Montblanc Le Grand Rollerball, and a Waterman Carene Rollerball. Honestly, I don't know very much about the higher end manufacturers. Lately, in my occasion reading, I have read a lot of criticism about Montblanc and in my opinion the Waterman is a better pen than the Montblanc rollerball. Do you think it's the refill? Don't get me wrong, the Le Grand is absolutely gorgeous and the casing is very well made and it's big and macho and stury as hell, but a Waterman, which is cheaper IMO writes better.
I am looking for particular information on my specific pens and to encourage general discussion of high end pens. Discuss!

My experience is that the Montblank rollerball refills are lousy. Try some aftermarket refills - they're cheaper and at least as good as the OEM versions.

I'm starting to really like fountain pens, granted the only ones I have right now are Levenger True Writers, which are relatively cheap ($52), but they work well in my experience.

As for outside fountain, sadly my favorite pen is cheap, non-refillable Pilot Precise V5 Rolling Ball (Extra Fine). Nothing I have yet to come across in the way of rollerball/ballpoint pens rights as cleanly, nicely, and finely.

I have one "nice" rollerball, it is a Conclin Nozack - $50 dollars, but it uses good Schneider (sp?) refills that only cost $3.50. (I actually have a Montblanc RB, but I don't use it - in fact, I don't even know where it is). If I want to use a rollerball, I use one of the disposables I keep around - the Pilots are great. I also have converted all of my ballpoint pens to the gel ink refils.

I have several fountain pens - the best value by far is the Pelikan Go that I bought on e-bay for like $8. Its a "school" pen made by Pelican for highschool and university students, so its cheap, but solid. The nib is one of the best steel nibs I've used and its got a plunger mechanism (basically an internal syringe), which means you have to use bottled ink, but it holds a ton of it.

The other good inexpensive FPs I have are the Lamy safari - great workhorses with good nibs and Lamy makes a very good converter so you can use bottled ink instead of cartridges.

My two favourite FPs are (i) my Lamy 2000, which is a Bahaus design pen in black and stainless with a partially hooded gold nib. This pen is also a plunger-type and (ii) my Pelican 800 - plunger/gold nib - this is the best writing pen I have.

If you decide you like FPs, it may be worth looking at a pen with a gold nib - he Lamy 2000 can often be had for $100 or even less on the Internet, but there's lots of others at this price point. While I enjoy all of my FPs, the ones I turn to most often are the ones with gold nibs, as I just find them to write more smoothly.

The other sugggestion I have is to see if you FP's can take a converter - this is basically a syringe type insert that replaces the cartridge, but lets you use ink from the bottle - cheaper and allows you to try other brands of ink than what comes in the cartridges. One of my favourite brands of ink is Waterman - I always keep a bottle of blue-black in my desk. Not surprisingly, different brands of ink have different characteristics and can work better in certain pens. The Waterman is a consistent performer in all of my pens.

I am mostly a Caran d'Ache man myself. I love the ecridor collection, especially with the retro-style pattern engraved. These pens have existed since the fifties (the pencil since the 20's) and are made of brass plated with silver and coated with rhodium. Rhodium is said to be more rare than gold and will never ever-in contrast to silver- tarnish. My pens really SHINE. The fountain pen nib is 'only' rhodium-coated iridium, but it writes far better than any 14K nib I have ever tried. The Goliath ballpoint refill is one of the best there is: very consistent and smooth, never leaky and -the name says it- HUGE: will write 600 A4 pages. The roller ball is nice as well. Those Swiss really know how to build a pen...:biggrin:

For work I am limited to ball points, but for everything else I prefer fountain pens.

The Montblanc roller ball refills are terrible. While Waterman is considered an inferior pen I rather like them. I have several of their roller ball and fountain pens. I just use a Cross ballpoint for work.

I have a Mont Blanc fountain pen, a Cross fountain pen, and garden variety PhD ballpoint and Pilot G2 gel pens.

I love both fountain pens, but my Cross writes smoother and more easily. Both are a pain to use (I don't write many letters, anymore - they would be great for that), so I rarely use them anymore. My writing is mostly just short notes when at work.

I used the PhD ballpoints for a couple of years and really like them, but then I discovered the Pilot G2. It writes as smoothly and prettily as a very good fountain pen, the ink dries almost instantly, and they are very cheap. I have honestly never written with anything better.

Tim

I started collecting fountain pens about 15 years ago and over that period have managed to collect quite a few. Here are a few of my thoughts on the popular brands:

- Generally, I think Mont Blanc pens are over-rated. I have had a few, including a 149 that I have owned for 20 years (the "Fat Boy" of the MBs). The pen has leaked ink at the top of the section since the day I bought it despite having been back to MB three times. When I use this pen I know I will have little stripes on my middle finger.

- Generally, I think Waterman pen are under-rated. Many models - like the LeMans and Edson - are built on brass sleeves and have a luxurious solid, massive feel about them. The Edson is actually my daily writer for the past year: it has a beautiful nib that is integrated into the section of the pen and is sufficiently stiff so that you don't have to hesitate to let someone unfamiliar with fountains pens give it a try.

- I want to like Sheaffers more than I do, but I have been disappointed. As a collector of the PFM models, I was very anxious to acquire a Legacy when it was introduced. Unfortunately, the original Legacy had problems: poor system for attaching the cap that left marks on the section; scratchy nib. Sheaffer has since revised the pen (it is now the Legacy II), but I can't bring myself to purchase another one.

- As German pens go, I prefer Pelikan over MB. I have an 800 that feels like a BMW in my hand.

- My Parker Duofold is a very nice, dependable writer, if somewhat underwhelming. I am thinking about getting a new model 100 as it is designed with the appearance of the classic model 51 but on a slightly larger scale.

Of course, there are many opinions on vintage pens as well. At the end of the day, writing with any decent fountain pen is far more enjoyable than writing with a ballpoint IMHO.

Cheers,

I agree that the Waterman pens are under-rated - the Phileas is one of the best bargains out there ($30 - $35) and I often recommend it with a fine nib for folks who want to try a FP without blowing the bank. I also have a Carene - I get a ton of comment because of the unusual nib shape and the black/amber lacquer.

I too am underwhelmed by Sheaffer and no longer own any of them.

The MB (not to flog a dead horse) as a line is the most over-rated on the market. A friend has a $400 MB with a nib that is worse than that on the kit pen (and we're talking about a $15 FP kit) that someone made for her - she uses the kit pen more than the MB!

I mostly collect vintage Sheaffers from the 20's through the 60's, lever fillers, touchdowns, snorkels love them all. I have a few modern but I get more out of vintage FP since I can tinker with them, resac, trade nibs on my Esties. I also find Mont Blanc's to be over rated, more of a status symbol than a good pen. My two Lamy's are fantastic writers with any ink.

Scorpio said:
I mostly collect vintage Sheaffers from the 20's through the 60's, lever fillers, touchdowns, snorkels love them all. I have a few modern but I get more out of vintage FP since I can tinker with them, resac, trade nibs on my Esties. I also find Mont Blanc's to be over rated, more of a status symbol than a good pen. My two Lamy's are fantastic writers with any ink.

About 20 years ago I had a friend who was a serious collector of fountain pens. Sheaffers were his favorites, too.

Tim

I find it very interesting that poeple often have the same interests. We are all here because we wetshave, many with DE or straights. Then I see this thread about pens and that people collect them, use them and all enjoy a fine writing instrument. I too love pens. I am in a different position than some because I actually make the ones that I use.

As you may know from some of my other posts on getting some brush heads from China I am a wood turner. The whole reason that I got into woodturning was to make pens. I agree with most of what has been said here since I currently have a Mont Blanc refill in my RB and I hate it.

This is not an advertisement but I thought you all might like to see some pens (yes I sell them but please do not take this as an advertisement, I just thought you may like to see some).

My website is www.mpoeller.com/pens.htm.

Suzuki said:
My experience is that the Montblank rollerball refills are lousy. Try some aftermarket refills - they're cheaper and at least as good as the OEM versions.

Are there other refills that will work in a Montblanc LeGrand other than the offical Montblanc version since it is an unusually large rollerball and the refill itself threads in?

mmp13 said:
I find it very interesting that poeple often have the same interests. We are all here because we wetshave, many with DE or straights.

I think this is true because so many of us are classical thinkers with somewhat old fashioned tastes. We appreciate a good task and carrying it our properly with the best instruments. Also think about how many cooks we have here; most adult men don't cook, but look at the percentage here. Most of us are anomalies who come together because of the uncommon traits that we all share.

I didn't like the Montblanc rollerball and ended up exchanging it for a ballpoint. My complaint was with the cap. It didn't fit securely on the end of the pen while writing. The alternative was to constantly take the cap on and off. Not convenient. I also have a Montblanc fountain pen but it seems the only time I use it is when signing and addressing Christmas cards or when writing in my journal.

My favorite pen of the moment is the Parker Duofold rollerball in the amber check pattern. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will as it is truly gorgeous.

rikrdo said:
Does anyone have any experience with Namiki ?

More specifically....the Vanishing Point ??

Good pens and nice nibs (tend to run a little narrow). The only downside is they use small cartridges/converter, so need to be refilled often.

The other issue is that the pocket clip is at the tip of the pen (basically runs down from the tip as opposed to the end so that the pen is clipped into a pocket tip up), which interferes with some peoples' grip when writing.

A very handy pen for someone who wants an FP for everyday use that they can treat like a ballpoint (in/out of pocket without having to cap/uncap).

mmp13 said:
This is not an advertisement but I thought you all might like to see some pens (yes I sell them but please do not take this as an advertisement, I just thought you may like to see some).

My website is www.mpoeller.com/pens.htm.
You might not mean it as an advertisement but expect an order from me within the next halfyear :smile: those things are just plain gorgeous. For a very decent price as well if your prices are still like the ones that you've sold so far.

I'm VERY impressed. :a47: Most likely My dad will get one for his B-day this coming year as well I think.

Suzuki said:
I agree that the Waterman pens are under-rated - the Phileas is one of the best bargains out there ($30 - $35) and I often recommend it with a fine nib for folks who want to try a FP without blowing the bank.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Of my half-dozen or so Fountain Pens, the Waterman Phileas is by far the best value for the money. Looks great, feels solid, writes like a dream. I use it daily at work, and have never had any problem whatsoever. I have a rotring that is also a solid performer, but just doesn't have that same panache. A couple shaeffers that just plod along, and a kit pen turned from wenge with a german iridium nib that performs quite well - almost as well as the waterman.

Top Bottom