What's new

Mary Kay and Avon?

These two companies have so many choices for men. Does anyone here have any experience with any of the products from them? The prices are great and the choices many I'm guessing something in these line ups might be worth while.

What do you know?:confused:

I live in a rural area and back in the old days Avon was the choice for Men's cologne. I remember my uncle using their Wild Country. Sorry I can't remember what it smells like.

My wife is an Avon lady, so I've tried a few of the products. Black Suede AS was just overpowering, I didn't find it pleasant. Driven ASB smelled nice, but made my face itch and burn. I do like the Wild Country AS quite a bit, it smells like a mixture of Clubman and Old Spice to me.

I love the Avon AS Balms in the tubes, great stuff and you can't beat the price. The regular AS does bite a bit, but my wife likes the smell of the Black Suede, so try them out.

My mother in law gave me a bottle of Derek Jeter Driven ASB for Christmas (made by Avon) and I have to say, it is a pretty good scent and a soothing balm. Not much other experience with Avon, but a sample size of one says pretty good stuff.

Brad

my mom has been selling avon since the 70's (IE. all my life) ...

i have tried most every male AS / cologne they have ... and still get bottles of the new stuff today ... (tho i rarely wear any cologne) ...

my step-father sells avon as well .. and has progressed way past some of their higher rankings for the 'salespeople' ...

mary kay i have no dealings with .. other then looking through the prices for some of their stuff in the past and coughing a lot at them.

i do use a lot of other avon stuff ... mostly because of the discount that i can get when buying it ... (family benefits ... 40+% off retail is nice at times) ... it is sad tho that they do not make much of anything when it comes to shave soaps or creams tho .. hmmm may have to send that in as a suggestion.

This may sound a bit odd but I use Skin So Soft foaming body wash on my face several times a week as a prep and I swear it helps in my shave. I think it has almond oil in it. I try and leave a little on my face prior to applying my lather! Give it a shot, you might like it....

I have some Avon AS splashes that I keep at my parents house. One is a Spice AS that I really like, the other is a light musk that I like, but not as much as the spice. The spice reminds me of Old Spice meets Mennen.

Mary Kay High Intensity and Tribute (I think they still make this one) lines are great.

The MK mens line of shave products are OK but some of the moisturizers and other traditional (read: for "wimmin") products are really good.

Black Suede and Fereaud are two of my favorite Avon colognes. You can still get Black Suede. It is the less sophisticated of the two fragrances.

Fereaud has been discontinued for some time, but I have a 3/4 full bottle remaining. Fereaud has a good clean scent. It is somewhat sophisticated but not arrogant.

My grandmother was an Avon dealer for close two 25 years and she gave me a bottle of Fereaud. I bought one additional bottle a few years ago to replace the one that was nearly empty. I use this sparingly since it has been discontinued for years.

I can't tell you about any of the current scents other than Black Suede.

I have used both , used to love the cars that the Avon cologne came in. My wife is a Mary Kay girl. I love the MK colognes for men as well.

I have used this product off and on for 18 years. As far as my wife is concerned, this is about her favorite scent. I also have the cologne with the same reaction by swmbo. Definitely a chick magnet.

Mary Kay?!?! I didn't know they were still around. I was a MK consultant doing the facials and make-overs about 25 or 30 years ago.

Of course, I was only about 16 then :001_rolle.
Sue

Mary Kay?!?! I didn't know they were still around. I was a MK consultant doing the facials and make-overs about 25 or 30 years ago.

Of course, I was only about 16 then :001_rolle.
Sue

Yeah, I knew far too well that they were "still around" when my mother was still a consultant. My aunt is actually a director or something - kinda high up. I've used a few of their colognes, and they were great if not trendy. I particularly remember Tribute, but also another one called Domain.

I did have a few of their other skin care items back in my teens years, like a face bar and some toner and moisturizer, but never really any shaving gear.

My aunt was a Mary Kay agent and drove one of those pink cars. Brings back some "interesting" memories. Now, it's a matter of determining whether they were good ones or not.

Avon Unscripted cologne is a very nice one - it's described as a "green" scent. It's one of the only ones that both my wife and I like.

On this subject - years ago, when my wife noted that I had a glass Old Spice bottle. Then she complained about the formulation change!

Needless to say, that was a big point winner with me.

I recommend the Derek Jeter Driven Black cologne. It's kind of an orange & spice combo that I like to use after shaving with an Orange Sorbet soap stick from St. Charles Shave.

I have some Avon AS splashes that I keep at my parents house. One is a Spice AS that I really like, the other is a light musk that I like, but not as much as the spice. The spice reminds me of Old Spice meets Mennen.

Their Light Musk is excellent, which is a word you really can't use for most Avons, and I say that as a fan.

Last week I was able to sample their new True Force. Overpriced, imo, but strongly resembled Pino Silvestre, which (at least in principle) is a good thing.

*To anyone who likes musk: Avon's LIGHT Musk is for men, and really is good. Their SOFT Musk is for wimmen. Not nearly the same, a lesson I learned to my cost. Read label carefully!

Last edited:
Top Bottom