What's new

Looking for a new pocket knife.

Can anyone suggest a good pocket knife for under $35. I prefer a light weight (under 2oz) knife with a plain edge and with or without a pocket clip. I've looked at Spyderco's and SOG but there's so many to choose from. Help.

For under 35$ you should get something in the Byrd line.

I personally always buy from newgraham.com. They have the dragonfly for 37$.

This may not be what you are looking for, but I don't think that you can go wrong with a good old genuine SAF(Swiss Army Knife). They are reliable and friendly. My original one is almost 30 years old and used often. They come in a wide variety of styles including just a basic knife to all sorts of additions. Probably not as good as a SOG but they do the job.

Gerber LST (Light, Smooth, Tough); you can get it smooth edge or mixed serrated and smooth, and it's a great utility knife. I take this and my leatherman when I backpack.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For years and years I`ve carried a small Swiss Army knife like this. The one I have does not have a pen. I like that it has tweezers and scissors as well as knife, screwdriver slash nail file, and toothpick in addition to the knife.

I'm a big fan of Buck knives, you can find them reasonably priced and the blade is nice and sharp. I have carried one for many years I got on sale at my local Big 5 sports store and it has been a great little knife for me. They have tons to choose from and can be readily found at hardware stores/sporting good stores

I'm buying a new one next week, after my Leatherman...broke. I closed it as normal and the supporting node for the locking system just snapped off. I'm sending it back as its only 18months old and in perfect condition, but it seems clear that this is a design flaw- the file seemed to get caught or something and went out of place, putting pressure on the locking mechanism, forcing it up and ping. I'm now pretty disenchanted with the brand and was thinking of a Gerber Resolve or Wenger Evo 17 ST. Anyone have any experience of both Wenger & Victorinox? The Gerber looks the business but I possibly prefer the Wenger as its a bit less of a statement.

For the OP, the SOG flash is right in your price range and a very nice little knife. It's got a spring assist opening and is quite light-weight and thin.

Anything by Cold Steel. Their knives are some of the sharpest out of the box and they hold an edge too. You can get some nice prices at Sportsman Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt. I have (2) Cold Steel Voyagers and love them!!!

+1

Can't go wrong with anything from Victorinox/Swiss Army..

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=sportsandleisure&product=53131&

I also have one of these: http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=lockblades&product=54875&

A little larger than I normally prefer to carry and a little more than what you wanted to pay, but what's an extra $15.. :wink:

I'm buying a new one next week, after my Leatherman...broke. I closed it as normal and the supporting node for the locking system just snapped off. I'm sending it back as its only 18months old and in perfect condition, but it seems clear that this is a design flaw- the file seemed to get caught or something and went out of place, putting pressure on the locking mechanism, forcing it up and ping. I'm now pretty disenchanted with the brand and was thinking of a Gerber Resolve or Wenger Evo 17 ST. Anyone have any experience of both Wenger & Victorinox? The Gerber looks the business but I possibly prefer the Wenger as its a bit less of a statement.

That is a shock!

I have the SuperTool, and I wouldnt trade it for anything.
I have worn out one, sent it in and got a new one, no questions asked.

Because of their warranty, I tend to really (I do mean really) abuse it.
My first one I overtorqued the phillips, and snapped it off.
Broke two screwdrivers using them as prybars.
Wore the wire cutters out cutting hardened wire, and metal packing straps.
Melted the needlenose tips with a car battery (can you say spark show?)
The blades both held up surprisingly well, as did the saw, and file.

My second one is currently going strong, but hardly sees any use (keep it in my camel back for bike rides)

They really are a top quality tool, and it sounds like you just got one with a flaw.

Top Bottom