What's new

Lime creams

I just gave Trumpers Limes SC a test drive... I'd never used their product before, and it just seemed... okay. Any other recommendations for a good lime product from the collective?

I may give their violet a shot, next... (I got mugged by C.O. Bigelow and the by C&E in the Copley Mall this week. It was all I could do to keep out of the AOS across the way!)

Josh

Learn?! I feel like a rube in a 3 card monte game when I walk through that part of the city! Broke (but at least I have something to show for it:) )

Thanks for the tip. I love their 1805 cream.

Josh

I'll second the T&H.

As far as getting around boston. To get to colonial, take the T its impossible to park near harvard square. The same goes (though not quite as bad) for copley area (where AOS is).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I didn't like the Trumper's too much, as well. Coates has great performance, though the scent is a bit weak, and the T&H is terrific all around. AOS makes a lovely lemon that may fit the bill, and Taylor has a lemon/lime.

The only lime one I've tried is the Taylor's Lemon & Lime. It's not bad and it shaves great. But then next one I'm gonna try is the T&H West Indian Limes. Btw, if you're willing to try a soap you could always give Qed's Fresh Lime shave soap a twirl.

Love Coate's, detest Taylor's, and am relatively unimpressed with Trumper's. QED's soap is excellent, however.

I would also say T&H, at the moment. Or Coates. But it depends on what you are looking for. At the moment I have, either in sample or full size: T&H, Trumper, Castle Forbes, Coates, and Saint Charles.

Trumper: Well, you know what this smells like. To me, it is a good drier lime smell. A little woody, a little sweet, but not extremely so. I find the shave fine, although not outstanding (no complaints, though, I am happy to use Trumper creams).

T&H: Very strong, intense lime smell. To me, very much like fresh grated lime zest. Others may disagree, but I find this more like smelling lime zest, and less like candy. Not particularly sweet smelling. Not woody either. Just lime. Shaves great.

Castle Forbes: Very intense scent. Probably the strongest of the lot, although barely edges out T&H. It is very limey, and uses only pure lime essential oil. To me, though, the scent is still very sweet and candylike. If that appeals to you, then great. The shave is also great. For me, it is merely great, not really better than T&H or Taylor. (Merely great, don't you love that....)

Coates: Much more subtle scent. Very peasant. Dry and a bit woody. closer to Trumper than T&H or CF. But more subtle, drier, and woodier. Great really, I only wish it was stronger. If you like mild scents, this would be my hands-down suggestion. I have not shaved with it in too long to say, but by reputation, you will not find a better shaving cream.

Saint Charles Shave: Very pleasant lime scent. Sort of like the T&H in character, but less intense. Also, has a distinct lotiony scent, mixing in with the lime. I have not shaved with this yet. See the reviews for other peoples opinions on how SCS cream shaves (very well, but takes a little more effort and trial/error to get the lather right, seems to be the consensus).

Hope that helps. T&H is my favorite, but only because I like very strong, enveloping aromas. Otherwise, if you like a like more subtlety, the Coates really can't be beat.

-Mo

Of course, my above comments only deal with creams. I don't know if you are a cream man or a soap man. I have yet to try it, but if you dig around a little for info (start with the reviews) on QED Lime soap, well, I don't think I have seen praise like that, especially so universal, for ANY other product, ever. Except maybe QED Sandlewood.... I have some on the way. Charles is probably shipping it out today. I will report when I get it.

-Mo

Damn, Moses, I can't buy everything! (I say that, and then what do I do? Off to Colonial!)

I think I'll grab a tub of T&H, and a tube of Coates, if in stock.

I have been trying soaps... this morning, got a good shave with MB Lavender, and like SCS New Spice. There's a super expensive Roger & Gallet ($42) soap at Colonial, smells delightful... I'll run that by SWMBO's nose this afternoon for approval. I have a hard time justifying that, though :biggrin:

Josh

I am curious about the Roger & Gallet. I see their products all the time at Pasteur, although I had not noticed that there was a shave soap before. But it is not one you every see mention of.... Perhaps party the price, I suppose since the none to cheap trumper soaps are barely more than half the price....

Another vote for T&H lime... the stuff is unreal!

I think T&H makes the best scented lime cream and the best cologne scented cream (Trafalgar) anywhere available. As far as efficacy, T&H is as good as anything else, IMHO.

Drew

I guess I be the desenting vote for T&H WIL, I think it smells like Pledge prayed over a key lime pie that went bad, sorry but way too strong. Yesterday I tried what I think is Trumper's Lime as it was in their little sample tubs. Now that smell sweet and just enough Lime to let you know it is there. The lather was fantastic, so much lather I could have shaved the entire week and had leftovers. The shave was very good as with all Trumper's cream I currently use. Next I want to try Taylor's Lime since this is my favorite line of creams. I just could not get around the T&H Lime scent.

Rafael

Well, I was unimpressed with Trumper lime (may give it another chance someday, as I only tried it in a sample),
had a tub of T&H lime and traded it away. It was decent but my face did not like it for some reason. I'll no doubt try it again someday also.
The two big winners for me: Castle Forbes lime oil (hard not to just plant one's nose right next to it and inhale...NIIIIIICE.) and QED limes soap.
Both are made with pure lime essential oil. As much as I love the CF limes (it is amazing stuff IMHO) the bang-for-the-buck award goes to QED. Same wonderful smell, wonderful slick lather, really big container of soap......very small price tag.
Want to know what CF lime smells like without spending 30+ bucks, buy the QED.
T&H wasn't bad, mind you...just unfortunately did not agree with my face. It also has a good smell, although not quite as intense as the QED/Castle Forbes offerings.

Happy to add to your confusion,
John P.

Has anyone gotten to try the Old Spice Lime cream that's apparently only sold in India? I've either got to order some of that, or get one of my work brethren that work in Bangalore to bring me some the next time they come stateside.

I would like a nice lime fragrance without spending out the wazoo for it. I tried the KMF and I wasn't very impressed by the performance, so I gave it to the wifely unit for her shaving needs.

Top Bottom