What's new

Shaving Soap Sample- How the heck do I use this?

This might be a silly question...I got a couple of shaving soap samples from Shaving Essentials- DR Harris Marlborough being one of them. It's a triangular sliver that appears to be good for a couple of shaves. I'm interested in trying it, but how the hell do I get a lather out of it? I know how to work a puck of soap with my brush, but this is wicked small. Any advice would be appreciated.

I got a sample like that from another vendor recently. I put mine in an old ceramic coffee cup (wife approved of course) and microwaved it for 10 seconds or so, melting it to the bottom of the cup. It was good for 2 or 3 shaves, then I just washed the cup back out.

Your best bet is to put the sample in a mug/bowl/vessel, place a piece of wax paper over the sample, and then with something heavy attempt to flatten the sample. The wax paper will ensure that your soap doesn't stick to whatever you are mashing it with. Soaking the soap for a couple of hours can/does help in the mashing process.

Of course, if you were dealing with a glycerin soap, just melt it. :cool:

Wet the soap, pass it over the whiskers directly on the face, a la shave stick. Then cup the soap in your palm, and load the brush well. When loaded, go directly to face and build lather.

-- John Gehman

Your best bet is to put the sample in a mug/bowl/vessel, place a piece of wax paper over the sample, and then with something heavy attempt to flatten the sample. The wax paper will ensure that your soap doesn't stick to whatever you are mashing it with. Soaking the soap for a couple of hours can/does help in the mashing process.

Of course, if you were dealing with a glycerin soap, just melt it. :cool:

mashing is definately the best method for me, and the wax paper is an excellent idea!

once the soap is mashed into the mug/dish it's very easy to load the brush.

I received a sample of pre de provence from SE in my order from them - I ran it through a cheese grater and then pressed it into a small ramekin. Works a treat!

Top Bottom