What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

for exercise ... the main thing most people need to do is find an activity that will keep their HR up in the 50-70% range for their age (50 - 70 depending on how out of shape you already are) .. for at least 45 to 60 min every other day (or every day if you can handle it) ...

if it is nothing more then a walk around the yard a few times ... or walking as fast as you can while in stores ... or even getting a Wii .. and Wiifit and some other high movement games ...

actual exercise is not needed for weight loss ... but it does help with muscle toning ...

the main thing is to burn calories and keep the heart in decent shape ...

Another half hour on the treadmill today. Not as slow, and not as ponderous as yesterday. I need to get out and do a lot of walking....

We're doing something similar at work between 3 guys.
Weigh-in each friday, $1.00 in the pot for each pound you gain. If in one week, two guys gain and one guy dosn't he gets what's in the pot.

Brilliant idea. In. How does this sound for a plan for the B&B Gentlemen's Athletic Club (BBGAC)? Feel free to suggest any changes/additions. Mods, if I'm moving this too far too fast, let me know.

Folks post starting BMIs whenever in 2009 they find this thread. BMI is the standard measure of height proportionate to weight most commonly used by nutritionists, and can be calculated in both pounds/feet and kilos/meters here. BMIs may not be back-dated (in other words, pounds/kilos already lost don't count!). As with so many things on B&B, the honor system is key.

When members sign up, they agree to check in at least every two weeks or so to do three quick things:

1) Post a current BMI (a percentage lost could be added, as well).
2) Send an encouraging PM to a member who's posted lately.
3) Send an even more encouraging PM to a member who hasn't posted in the last couple of weeks.

Members could, voluntarily and without necessity, contribute prizes to the cause. Prizes could be contributed at the beginning for overall loss throughout the year, or as we go (e.g. biggest loser in March, April, etc.; incentives for folks who've fallen off the wagon to start back in; encouragement for folks to join the BBGAC later in the year; encouragement of specific activities such as biking, running, etc...). While the prizes are nice, the best encouragement for many will be the flow of PMs, as well as, of course, that pair of pants that's been hanging in the closet for five years that now fits!

I'll offer to start by contributing a Gillette Slim (it somehow seems fitting...) to the cause, which I'll offer to send gratis anywhere on the globe to the regularly-posting member who has showed the greatest percentage drop in BMI from now through the end of March (check-in required between March 22 and 31).

Let the suggestions and/or starting BMI's flow! I'll be away from a computer from 12/31 to 1/5, but will check in upon my return with my own BMI (I, um, anticipate it rising slightly over New Year's :frown:) and a final set of guidelines for the 2009 BBGAC.

Brilliant idea. In. How does this sound for a plan for the B&B Gentlemen's Athletic Club (BBGAC)? Feel free to suggest any changes/additions. Mods, if I'm moving this too far too fast, let me know.

Folks post starting BMIs whenever in 2009 they find this thread. BMI is the standard measure of height proportionate to weight most commonly used by nutritionists, and can be calculated in both pounds/feet and kilos/meters here. BMIs may not be back-dated (in other words, pounds/kilos already lost don't count!). As with so many things on B&B, the honor system is key.

When members sign up, they agree to check in at least every two weeks or so to do three quick things:

1) Post a current BMI (a percentage lost could be added, as well).
2) Send an encouraging PM to a member who's posted lately.
3) Send an even more encouraging PM to a member who hasn't posted in the last couple of weeks.

Members could, voluntarily and without necessity, contribute prizes to the cause. Prizes could be contributed at the beginning for overall loss throughout the year, or as we go (e.g. biggest loser in March, April, etc.; incentives for folks who've fallen off the wagon to start back in; encouragement for folks to join the BBGAC later in the year; encouragement of specific activities such as biking, running, etc...). While the prizes are nice, the best encouragement for many will be the flow of PMs, as well as, of course, that pair of pants that's been hanging in the closet for five years that now fits!

I'll offer to start by contributing a Gillette Slim (it somehow seems fitting...) to the cause, which I'll offer to send gratis anywhere on the globe to the regularly-posting member who has showed the greatest percentage drop in BMI from now through the end of March (check-in required between March 22 and 31).

Let the suggestions and/or starting BMI's flow! I'll be away from a computer from 12/31 to 1/5, but will check in upon my return with my own BMI (I, um, anticipate it rising slightly over New Year's :frown:) and a final set of guidelines for the 2009 BBGAC.

Nice suggestions...regardless of prizes, pride, or whatever, the encouragement and accountability is key, I believe

Nice suggestions...regardless of prizes, pride, or whatever, the encouragement and accountability is key, I believe

I like it all. I hope to be able to post my whole plan on da foist...

Personally, I want to shed BF (no, not my boyfriend, BODY FAT)

I think, and will post definitely on Jan.1, that I want to lose at least 5 lbs of BF in January. Seven would be great, but hey, I have the whole beeraholic hate my job thing.

I have a BF (Kanita) scale, and will work some rough numbers, and go from there. I also have an idea to keep an online, public journal, and will use the BB GAC as my social bragging place, and to come for my glories. I will post the link, and all are invited to slag me off.

I would also be willing to throw in for prizes?

I think my own prize, if I make my final goal by May-is, is to buy meself a new kayak.

How you like me now?

Also, accountability and the honor system----but you are only beholden to you.

If Obama can find time to pump up, I can too.

I need to do all that stuff called weight loss as well but like the last few years, I will gladly watch you guys do it.

I'm in.

I'm 33 years old, 5'8", 227lbs and BMI 34.5.

If I get to 160lbs I'm buying myself a Porsche (I've been obese for 10 years so this isn't a realistic goal).

I think some encouragement and also recognition for those who do well is founded. How about every 6 months we get a list of people who are in and each contributes $5 to the kitty. At the end of 6 months the biggest BMI reduction gets to buy something with the kitty (and bragging rights) and we start again. This would cost each of the participants $5 every 6 months. Anyone can join at any time but it's $5 when you do and it's the BMI reduction from the date you join to the end of the current session (e.g. if we start 1st Jan, there will be a weigh-in on 1st July and the clock starts again). Silly idea? Too complicated? Or Doable?

Beaker --

If I can do it, you can do it. Just give up the cookies, sodas, and junk. Reduce portions. The weight will drop.

If you join us, I'll get rid of the 'YMMV' addition to my avatar...

-- John Gehman

We're doing something similar at work between 3 guys.
Weigh-in each friday, $1.00 in the pot for each pound you gain. If in one week, two guys gain and one guy dosn't he gets what's in the pot.

Did that in college with a friend when I was about 20-30 lbs lighter. I didn't do a thing. He gained weight cause he spent two weeks in Pennsylvania with his parents and "all there was to do was eat, sleep, and watch the grass grow." :biggrin:

I'm in.

I'm 33 years old, 5'8", 227lbs and BMI 34.5.

If I get to 160lbs I'm buying myself a Porsche (I've been obese for 10 years so this isn't a realistic goal).

I think some encouragement and also recognition for those who do well is founded. How about every 6 months we get a list of people who are in and each contributes $5 to the kitty. At the end of 6 months the biggest BMI reduction gets to buy something with the kitty (and bragging rights) and we start again. This would cost each of the participants $5 every 6 months. Anyone can join at any time but it's $5 when you do and it's the BMI reduction from the date you join to the end of the current session (e.g. if we start 1st Jan, there will be a weigh-in on 1st July and the clock starts again). Silly idea? Too complicated? Or Doable?

If you knew how cheap I was, you'd know I'd starve myself to get at that kitty. :lol:

I wish it were that easy for me Bama. I eat like crap, I dont exercise. Not a good plan for success.
it's not easy...but it is attainable
you CAN do it
heck, I dropped 18 lbs four years ago just cutting sodas, nothing else. The math is easy, but if you stay with us you'll be very highly likely to do something better. Like I said, 1 pound a week, start there for a month, that's 1750 calories a week. take your lunch, half it, eat the first half at normal time, then the second half at quitting time, you'll naturally eat less at supper.
I'm here for you, I can be your accountability partner...help me out, bro

Beaker --

If I can do it, you can do it. Just give up the cookies, sodas, and junk. Reduce portions. The weight will drop.

If you join us, I'll get rid of the 'YMMV' addition to my avatar...

-- John Gehman

Oh John, you rascal. I eat good 50% of the time. It is the other half that suffers. All I should do is at least walk a bit each day. But yet I sit. The will is nowhere to be found. Getting rid of y**v is a good start though.

1 guy putting y**v in his avatar
1 guy kicking my butt in his avatar

and these are the guys pushing me.

I call these guys friends.

I could use to lose about 15 lbs, not to succumb to a ad-agency driven idealized male image, although that would be nice, but just to feel better, and fit into my darned clothes better.

1 guy putting y**v in his avatar
1 guy kicking my butt in his avatar

and these are the guys pushing me.

I call these guys friends.

Let me try to help. With the DePlumpification, will also come loss of those extra chins. Not only will shaving be easier, but those nice expensive creams will last longer, since there is less chin to cover. :biggrin::lol:

Top Bottom