What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

Count me in as well. I am changing jobs, so I couldn't afford a lot to "join in", but it would be great just to have a check in point.

I "know" what to do, but it is tough for me to give up the sweets especially.

But I am a competitve person, so seeing what others are doing would really help.

As a former Athlete and teacher, I can say increasing your exercise will be easier then changing your diet at first. I know you need both, but it is behaviorally easier to do exercise.

It would be nice to have a form we could use or something, so we could have an accurate baseline.

Marty

Oh, and I think others help give us perspective. Like Terry, your pic looks pretty good already in my book, so I don't think you look as horrible as you described.

Marty

I would participate. I've let myself go pretty bad this past year. I have a Y membership I'm not using, which I should. We have the Wii fit which makes doing certain kinds of exercize fun. When I was on a diet board years ago, we'd list our Current Weight/Goal weight every day on our posts.

As for me, I'm not going for anything too ambitious. A pound a week. I'm 5'6" and currently at 255. A pound a week would get me close to 200 by the end of the year. Since I haven't been below 220 years, reaching 200 would be a major victory for me. Plus my Dr. said that 1 lb. a week loss is a good way to go. One time I was on Atkins and lost about 60 in 8 months, but it shot right back on after I quit. I think doing it slower would up my chances of keeping it off.

-Mason

I would participate. I've let myself go pretty bad this past year. I have a Y membership I'm not using, which I should. We have the Wii fit which makes doing certain kinds of exercize fun. When I was on a diet board years ago, we'd list our Current Weight/Goal weight every day on our posts.

As for me, I'm not going for anything too ambitious. A pound a week. I'm 5'6" and currently at 255. A pound a week would get me close to 200 by the end of the year. Since I haven't been below 220 years, reaching 200 would be a major victory for me. Plus my Dr. said that 1 lb. a week loss is a good way to go. One time I was on Atkins and lost about 60 in 8 months, but it shot right back on after I quit. I think doing it slower would up my chances of keeping it off.

-Mason

Personally, I don't like weighing myself every day. Maybe once a week and posting it. I don't know about everyone else, but when I exercise, I gain a tremendous amount of muscle. I think a lot of it stems from my days as a power lifter after HS. The last time I went on a diet/exercise stint, I gained 15lbs. Even though my weight went up, I have to admit that I was breathing better and my blood pressure was down. Anyone know how to just lose weight and not gain it from diet/exercise?

I'm trying to continue losing weight. I had a problem with the muscle that connects my esophagus to my stomach and had a hard time getting food down. I'd stop eating because I'd just get frustrated. As a result of that and other heartburn, I lost around 50 pounds in a period of about 18 months - I was 297 (at 6'4") when I first went to the doc for heartburn problems in April 07, and I know that was down from some unknown peak because I had tried eating better before hauling myself to the doc. The swallowing problems really started around May 08..

Got that fixed up the week before Thanksgiving - weighed in at 243 that morning. I realized that since I could eat normally again that I'd gain the weight right back. I didn't want to do that since I'd spent a bunch of money buying new clothes that fit!

So, the day after Thanksgiving I got myself in to the fitness center here at my apartment complex. It's not too fancy, but it has an exercise bike and a couple treadmills, a couple cable weight machines, and a flat bench & dumbbells. Enough to get me moving around again. It's been a struggle as my metabolism has adjusted to eating normal meals again, but I think I've fought off the weight gain.

For right now, my goal is to get down to 225. I'll keep trying to lose more when I hit that, but that will be the goal for now.

Trying to eat better now. Gotta learn to like veggies and dislike chips.

Won't be posting pictures, but I can use you guys to keep me honest :smile:

I was going to bring up this topic later today...
I shed 50+ a couple years ago, and did fairly well keeping it away, however the past year or so has proven to be hectic in many ways, and discipline in some areas has suffered, and have allowed 30 of those to come back and visit.
I'm not in for the competition/money pot/whatever, my concept was one of accountability groups, with healthier life being the reward, as opposed to a monetary sum, however significant/insignificant, since such a reward, as great as it is, is temporary and once it's gone, if your motivation is wrapped up in it, it's gone too.
Not to discourage anyone else, but to let you know what my intentions and reasons are.
Now, prepare to get thy butt kicked....:biggrin:

Ok, firstly I think my scale is wacked because it varies so much, but if it is to be believed, it says 196.5 lbs, and I am 5'9", for our European friends that is 89 Kilos and 1.75 meters. For our friends in Britain, that's so many stone, I could be a small boulder.

So, today, 30 slow minutes on the treadmill.

To lose 1 lb a week, you have to eat 3500 calories fewer than you need.

I'm going to increase my walking, run more, and cut the soft drinks & snacks.

Good Luck to everyone!

I have been hovering at 220 for the past few years, a jump to 230 for a bit, and my Ideal weight for my height is 200 even. I haven't been that low in about 5 years.

I am 6'4", so 220 isn't bad, and isn't noticeable on me really. I want to be toned though, so I need to drop 20 "vanity" pounds. :blushing:

I would like to participate, but I will abstain from doing so publicly.

Instead I will offer my support, and any tips I can think of.

#1, kill fast food intake. None whatsoever. I dropped 15 pounds in a month just by eliminating fast food. Subway was as unhealthy as I got, and even then, only on road trips.

#2, drink lots of water.

#3, park further away instead of cruising around looking for a closer spot.

#4, Moderation is KEY. This includes fast food, but only after you can prove to yourself that you can give it up entirely. Go 6 months without a Whopper, or Big Mac, and you can reward yourself once in a while.
Even with exercise, you need to do it in moderation. You hop on a bicycle and go for a 30 mile ride right away, and you will be so sore for the next week, you will never want to go and do it again. Start out slowly, a mile, 2 if you are feeling good. Eventually you will work up to 5, then 10, then you will get to the point where you will want to see how far you can go, and before you know it, a 30 mile ride will leave you feeling like Jell-o, but the next day you will be fine. Same goes for lifting weights. Sure I could bench 250, but only once, and it will hurt. Start out slow, get a set of dumbells from wal-mart, and work out at home. I started out with 10 pound weights, seems like nothing, but you have to start slow.

#5, do not expect dramatic, or immediate results. You can take a poo and drop 3 pounds. To lose 3 pounds of body weight takes some work.

#6, have fun with it.

Just some ideas:

If all the gents involved set personal goals, with a weekly posting in, would that work?

We can post our goals, and, perhaps, after 4-6 months, the top competitors can get something? Even just glory?

We could all post a "reward" we want, and treat ourselves to it, and show it off/gloat?

I am big on ideas, but **** poor on planning....any executives around? Any moderators want to help out?

We could launch the Badger and Blade Gentlemen's Athletic club.

Just some ideas. Me? I am on my way out for a run. I am certain injuries will be involved.:confused:

Injuries don't have to be a part of it. Take it easy for the first five minutes of your run, then stretch gently for a few minutes. Then continue your run.

Make sure you don't get cold while stretching, otherwise you'll increase your chances of getting an injury.

When you're about five minutes from the end of your run do some more stretches. Then take it easy for the last five minutes of your run.

This should make for a good warm up and warm down, you'll have to decide which stretches work for you. I personally find that some hamstring stretches, tricep stretches and quadricep stretches work for me.

A few months ago I dropped 20 pounds down to 180/6'. Holiday season has got me back to 200. It can't be mentioned enough; QUIT DRINKING SODA. I started drinking it again and it's like 700 useless calories every day. I'm surprised I'm not more fat. I'm with you guys.

GB

If all the gents involved set personal goals, with a weekly posting in, would that work?

We can post our goals, and, perhaps, after 4-6 months, the top competitors can get something? Even just glory?

We could all post a "reward" we want, and treat ourselves to it, and show it off/gloat?

I think you have good ideas. Interested parties sign-up, post what they're at currently and what they hope to get to, and what their reward is. It doesn't have to be just weight - could be getting to being able to run X miles in Y minutes or being able to squad Z pounds. Some sort of health related goal, though I imagine most will be weight loss.

I don't know that we'd want an overall winner.. if someone sticks to their plan for the entire time, then they've done good in my book and are "allowed" to buy themselves the reward they picked out at the beginning. Honor policy strictly enforced!

Just some ideas:

I am big on ideas, but **** poor on planning....any executives around? Any moderators want to help out?

We could launch the Badger and Blade Gentlemen's Athletic club.

Just some ideas. Me? I am on my way out for a run. I am certain injuries will be involved.:confused:

this is kind of the idea...weekly updates as to progress (or lack thereof), encouragement for plateaus, accountability for missing a week, etc.. - that I originally had for my this topic...perhaps the Mods could create a "B&B Biggest Loser" Badge or something.
Focus would be on overall health, percentage weight lost, clothes sizes down, etc., not just # pounds lost.

this is kind of the idea...weekly updates as to progress (or lack thereof), encouragement for plateaus, accountability for missing a week, etc.. - that I originally had for my this topic...perhaps the Mods could create a "B&B Biggest Loser" Badge or something.
Focus would be on overall health, percentage weight lost, clothes sizes down, etc., not just # pounds lost.

I like that a lot.

Let's get some more ideas, and set a date.

me? I just ordered my final wings for I do not know how long....I hate myself.

(more than I hate self-discipline, sobriety, and "calling it an early night"...maybe I am growing up.)

I like that a lot.

Let's get some more ideas, and set a date.

me? I just ordered my final wings for I do not know how long....I hate myself.

(more than I hate self-discipline, sobriety, and "calling it an early night"...maybe I am growing up.)

I have one more beer to go in the fridge, then I'm likely done for a while with that. Man I hate saying that. I've got to get back to cutting out the sodas again, had been doing that for a while, but have been backsliding...

I'm all for making this fun, with each of us setting goals (attainable ones hopefully) and seeing some rewards for hitting those things. Jan 1 sounds as good of a day to start as any, opening it up for those specific goals in terms of target weight, exercise goals, etc. I'm going to talk to the SWMBO to see what she will put up as a reward, but knowing our current financial state, it might be a head of lettuce! I'm gunning for a major 3 month goal, as it is my birthday, and might be able to convince her to treat me nice!

Lose weight? Absolutely not! Have you any idea how much work went into this body? How much beer, bacon (and other pork pork products!), cheeseburgers, donuts, pizza, ice cream and other delectable morsels I have had to force down my gullet day in and day out? This physique is something you attain over time, not something you seek to loose on a treadmill.

A few months ago I dropped 20 pounds down to 180/6'. Holiday season has got me back to 200. It can't be mentioned enough; QUIT DRINKING SODA. I started drinking it again and it's like 700 useless calories every day. I'm surprised I'm not more fat. I'm with you guys.

GB

Don't just stop drinking soda, though that is a big step in the right direction. Stop all intake of high fructose corn syrup. You would be surprised at how much weight you carry around from it.

i am all for setting up a 'club' of sorts ... it is much easier with motivation from others ...

i started in jan of last year ... at 281lbs .. had gotten down to 230 in sept ... i am now back up to 253 ... because of the holidays and some family related stress ...

i really want to get it going again .. with eating, exercise and so forth .. i know how to do it, and know i can do it ... but the motivation is the kicker.

i got mine going from cutting out sweat tea and all soda's ... sticking to just water ... or green tea ... and going to 'whole foods' instead of processed stuff ... not eating things with more then 6 ingredients ... and trying to keep the protein / carb / fat content about even on all sides ... while consuming about 2800 cals a day .. and working out for 1hour 3 days a week ... then riding at least 10 miles a week on my bike ...

I need to lose weight as well so I am in, as well as already on the road. I am 6' 1" and currently weigh 284 lbs that is down from 342 in August. I eliminated fast food and soda. I started eating 5 times a day in small portions. Lots of protein, low carbs. Other than that my lifestyle has not changed much, I really don't exercise, except for walking or biking where I am going.

Top Bottom