What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

I highly recommend podrunner intervals for those of you/us that are beginning a running routine. The interval technique will help you towards an increased intensity and caloric burn as well as provide a break in a droll routine.

Hey, that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. I did a workout of week 2 this morning and enjoyed it. Changing the speed on the treadmill in the fitness center is a pain which made the week 1 workout a bit unappealing. I think I'll stick with it and see where I end up. I'd be pretty happy to be running 5k in 9 weeks! If my knees keep on bugging me, I may head to local running shop and get properly fitted for new shoes.

Just keep in mind the weight loss is generally like a roller coaster. It starts off slow, but as you "motivate" your metabolism so to speak the weight loss will gradually increase, level off, and then slow a little. I lost 4 pounds in 2 months when I started, but I lost 12 pounds in month three. Just hang in there!

Yea, my metabolism is all messed up from getting my eating problem fixed. Went from having a hard time getting half a meal down to eating normal amounts pretty much overnight. So my body is having to get used to me eating regular amounts of food again. I think I'm actually doing good by simply not gaining weight back, for right now :smile:

Yea, my metabolism is all messed up from getting my eating problem fixed. Went from having a hard time getting half a meal down to eating normal amounts pretty much overnight. So my body is having to get used to me eating regular amounts of food again. I think I'm actually doing good by simply not gaining weight back, for right now :smile:

Even for people who eat well and in "regular" amounts but are sedentary, simply starting a regular exercise routine will eventually result in an accelerated metabolism. The hotter your engine is burning (so to speak) the more calories your body will burn even when you are doing nothing at all. Regular exercise not only builds muscles and burns calories it boosts your metabolism which in turn burns even more calories and fat.

This is amazing -- thanks for putting it together!

that's very cool! I had thought about doing that, but then I had another idea Chad (Gruder) and I are working on...stay tuned!

I'll get there sometime this weekend Jim -- stay tuned just a bit longer whilst I catch up with everything!

thank goodness I was left off that wiki page as I have not done anything yet.

How about now?

Now?

I'm thrilled that so many are hanging in there -- so many folks "fall off the wagon" by this point in January! New members are always welcome -- who's going to help start the "mid-January resolution" trend?

I was just talking to a friend who said his gym was deserted the other day, all the noobs had dropped out already. Like I said in my last post, for me its about lifestyle change rather than a resolution. That being said, just came in from a good 2 mile run/jog in 21 minutes.

Question for those who may know in here: my calves and shins burn after about 5 minutes of running. Is this normal for new runners, a sign of improper stretching (I'm trying to do a good job of this one), dehydration, or something else?

The pain you feel is due to the use of small muscles and stablizers that are unaccustomed to work. After a few sessions, the pain will disappear as the muscles learn to accomodate greater work.

Question for those who may know in here: my calves and shins burn after about 5 minutes of running. Is this normal for new runners, a sign of improper stretching (I'm trying to do a good job of this one), dehydration, or something else?

For a good calf stretch try standing on the balls of your feet over a step or curb and hang your heels down for a minute or so.

I just finished a good 5 mile run in an hour and lately, I've had a nagging pain in the region of my right achilles tendon. I do notice that actively stretching before and after (particularly after) a run relieves this condition somewhat. Over time, as my running fitness has improved, and the length of my runs has increased I believe this pain is subsiding. After a run, I use cold packs to reduce swelling and take a couple of ibuprofen. I also take some supplements that focus on inflammation response. Two that I really like are New Chapter's zyflamend, and Barlean's Omega-3 EPA/DHA fish oil. I also incorporate natural anti-inflammatory herbs into my diet like tumeric, ginger, and garlic.

I have a backstory to all of this: Last March I was taken down by an injury to my spine that left me unable to stand, walk, sit, or lie down without significant pain. For 6 weeks I was literally lying in a fetal position on a pile of pillows before I could even begin to walk. As I recovered from the acute phase of my injury, I began to walk 100 meters only at first, then 200m the next day, and so on. Slowly swimming with a mask and snorkel brought back my range of motion. And now today with much rehab physical therapy, I am back to surfing, running, paddling, and competing in sports activities. I am still recovering as I can feel the nerves in my neck (c-4,5,6 area) impinging. But by actively taking steps to control inflammation I have been able to work back to a decent level of fitness. Anyway, that's my story so far. I'm stoked I can walk again, let alone run, paddle and surf. :biggrin:

This is amazing -- thanks for putting it together!

I'll get there sometime this weekend Jim -- stay tuned just a bit longer whilst I catch up with everything!

Should I keep trying to update, or will what ya'll are doin' supercede it?

I was Googling around for info on the Podrunner series and found this message. I think I'll go ahead and download them all!

I was Googling around for info on the Podrunner series and found this message. I think I'll go ahead and download them all!

Hmm, that's a bummer! You can get the whole podrunner series downloaded via a free itunes podcast. It appears to have been released on iTunes in 2008. Search the itunes store for podrunner.

Last edited:
September 1, 2007, 190#, BMI = 30.2
January 1, 2009, 146# BMI = 23.2
That's 44 # in 16 months. And I'm 5' 6.5" tall, so you only imagine what that extra 44# looked like on my short frame. And I didn't go hungry--not once, not for a single minute.
The secret--no secret. I went on the Atkins diet and the pounds just fell off. My meals were balanced, and most especially satisfying, so that I never experienced any hunger at all.
I go to the gym 5 days a week, and I eat a full diet. A typical meal:
Grill Salmon, 8 oz, asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, Caesar Salad (no croutons.) What I omit: the bread, the potatoes, the cake.
Lunch might typically be a three egg cheese omelet.

Now--for you folks who want to start criticizing the Atkins diet, let me tell you a few things first. My doctor has supervised my diet from the outset. My latest bloodwork, he tells me, looks like that of a 20 year old. (I'm 66 years old.) All my numbers are normal and I have tons of energy. If you understand the fundamental scientific principles on which the Atkins diet works, you realize why it is a successful diet, and one which the AMA now recognizes as successful and healthy. by the way, did any of you think that eating cake bread and potatoes would make you somehow healthy and lose weight? Of course, I hear detractors argue that you can't lose weight on a diet of bacon. I wouldn't know, since I'm Jewish, and a rabbi, I don't eat bacon, but I would imagine that a diet which consisted of bacon as a staple would by definition be unhealthy. But then, that isn't the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet says that one may eat bacon, whereas many diets prohibit it. The thing about the Atkins diet is to keep the variety high, and that carbs low. Do this and you we'll lose weight and your numbers will go good. This has to happen, it's a scientific truth if you understand anything about how the Krebs cycle works. Carbs go down, insulin production goes down and the body obtains its glucose from fats rather than carbs. In the process, blood sugar goes down, a1c goes down, and cholesterol goes down.
Anyway, it's been fun, I have a diet that I've been on for over a year that really works for me, having previously managed to gain weight on virtually every other diet under the sun. I eat plenty of food and I'm very healthy thank you very much.
For the rest of you good people out there who want to lose weight, remember that it won't happen on bread, ice cream, candy, cake, potatoes or basically anything that has carbohydrates in it, unless you decide to obtain your carbs from things like salads, asparagus, broccoli, and note that if you do that you don't have to skimp on the hollandaise sauce.
Enjoy!

3 miles in 27 minutes today. Still on a treadmill, I hate treadmills. I prefer to run outside, but there is still too much snow and the wind is biting cold!

Same here. In a way I'm glad. People might be terrified at the sight of a water buffalo huffing, puffing, blowing snot rockets, coming up behind them. slowly.

How would we edit it?

Folks,

Especially those of you who are running or starting to run, the easiest way to keep motivated is to pick a race, and sign up for way in advance.

I just plunked down some hard earned cash for the privilege of waking up very early on a weekend, and running in the cold. :biggrin:

My advice is to pick a race near you, and if you have never run distance before to pick something manageable like 5K and this is important, get the course map and check the ELEVATION gains and losses during the race.

A great site for this is http://mapmyrun.com - if you search for DunEdinRanger you also find some of the runs I have mapped for public use.

I actually just walked one brisk paced random incline mile on the treadmill. First exercise in 3 years give or take. The bad back is not happy.

no, we need to find a way to incorporate it!
keep it up, that's awesome work there, and much appreciated!
I actually just walked one brisk paced random incline mile on the treadmill. First exercise in 3 years give or take. The bad back is not happy.
YAY!!!!! Good job Ray, I'm proud of you!
lots of awesome reports lately....I've failed miserably this week, I dread the scale in the morning, it's gonna be ugly, however, this week the exodus_o'_fat will be full force

I updated my entry.

Folks,

Especially those of you who are running or starting to run, the easiest way to keep motivated is to pick a race, and sign up for way in advance.

I just plunked down some hard earned cash for the privilege of waking up very early on a weekend, and running in the cold. :biggrin:

My advice is to pick a race near you, and if you have never run distance before to pick something manageable like 5K and this is important, get the course map and check the ELEVATION gains and losses during the race.

A great site for this is http://mapmyrun.com - if you search for DunEdinRanger you also find some of the runs I have mapped for public use.

That is a great suggestion. Years ago I ran regularly and I also regularly ran in races. Great motivation and you usually get a cool t-shirt. My wife keeps telling me that I need to sign up for a half marathon. I think she wants the life insurance. :001_smile

Great job burnwood. Be sure and stretch that back out. I personally like to stretch in a hot shower if I think that I am going to have problems from the exercise that I did. Also maybe try getting Mrs. Burnwood to rub your back a little. Stretch your legs. They might hate you tomorrow. If I think I over did it, I'll pre medicate with motrin to try and stave off the worst of the pain.

September 1, 2007, 190#, BMI = 30.2
January 1, 2009, 146# BMI = 23.2
That's 44 # in 16 months. And I'm 5' 6.5" tall, so you only imagine what that extra 44# looked like on my short frame. And I didn't go hungry--not once, not for a single minute.
The secret--no secret. I went on the Atkins diet and the pounds just fell off. My meals were balanced, and most especially satisfying, so that I never experienced any hunger at all.
I go to the gym 5 days a week, and I eat a full diet. A typical meal:
Grill Salmon, 8 oz, asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, Caesar Salad (no croutons.) What I omit: the bread, the potatoes, the cake.
Lunch might typically be a three egg cheese omelet.

Now--for you folks who want to start criticizing the Atkins diet, let me tell you a few things first. My doctor has supervised my diet from the outset. My latest bloodwork, he tells me, looks like that of a 20 year old. (I'm 66 years old.) All my numbers are normal and I have tons of energy. If you understand the fundamental scientific principles on which the Atkins diet works, you realize why it is a successful diet, and one which the AMA now recognizes as successful and healthy. by the way, did any of you think that eating cake bread and potatoes would make you somehow healthy and lose weight? Of course, I hear detractors argue that you can't lose weight on a diet of bacon. I wouldn't know, since I'm Jewish, and a rabbi, I don't eat bacon, but I would imagine that a diet which consisted of bacon as a staple would by definition be unhealthy. But then, that isn't the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet says that one may eat bacon, whereas many diets prohibit it. The thing about the Atkins diet is to keep the variety high, and that carbs low. Do this and you we'll lose weight and your numbers will go good. This has to happen, it's a scientific truth if you understand anything about how the Krebs cycle works. Carbs go down, insulin production goes down and the body obtains its glucose from fats rather than carbs. In the process, blood sugar goes down, a1c goes down, and cholesterol goes down.
Anyway, it's been fun, I have a diet that I've been on for over a year that really works for me, having previously managed to gain weight on virtually every other diet under the sun. I eat plenty of food and I'm very healthy thank you very much.
For the rest of you good people out there who want to lose weight, remember that it won't happen on bread, ice cream, candy, cake, potatoes or basically anything that has carbohydrates in it, unless you decide to obtain your carbs from things like salads, asparagus, broccoli, and note that if you do that you don't have to skimp on the hollandaise sauce.
Enjoy!

Awesome congratulations! I couldn't come close to 140lbs. Maybe 165 but I used to lift heavy and often so I'm carry a bit more muscle mass. Awesome! Glad to hear you did it!

Folks,

This is a fantastic suggestion for new runners (or new back to running). After acing my fitness test I started running every 5K available. I did several while I was deployed. From my first to my last I shave nearly 3 minutes off of my 5K time. You start to feel better doing it and see the results. It also gives you something to train for and help motivate you to improve. This is a great idea!

This is a fantastic suggestion for new runners (or new back to running). After acing my fitness test I started running every 5K available. I did several while I was deployed. From my first to my last I shave nearly 3 minutes off of my 5K time. You start to feel better doing it and see the results. It also gives you something to train for and help motivate you to improve. This is a great idea!

Plus the t-shirts are awesome!

Top Bottom