What's new

Rice Cooker

I received a rice cooker for Christmas and I don't have an idea what to do with it. I am looking for recipes with the machine. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

I got a cheap one when I went back to college 13 years ago. I still use it a lot. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. Besides excellent rice, I also make steamed vegetables in mine with the basket attachment.

Have used one for years...mostly for all sorts of rice, but it also works with other items that need hydrating (like other grains) and as a steamer.

I've found that it works well for steaming bits of seafood, like shrimp or fish. Put them in when the rice is a few minutes away from completion if you want to have them with rice :)

If you want a healthier white rice, you can also mix in Irish/steel-cut oats at a 1:3 ratio, and also about half as much (as the oats) of another fibre/protein heavy grain like Quinoa or Wild Rice.

Does not detract from the taste (IMO) like you can get with brown rice, but adds a healthy punch. Just make sure that the total grains to water ratio is 1:2 in the end, and you can mix it up however you personally enjoy.

Cheers.

J

Recipes posted here (or anywhere in the forum for that matter) should be copied over to the cookbook.

is it an induction or a fuzzy logic rice cooker? Zojirushi? I have one a tons of recipes, let me know

Trevor

I treated myself to a fuzzy-logic Sanyo (5.5 cups dry / 11 cups cooked rice) back in October. A finely made machine, with two inner pots and two inner lids, one for rice, one for slow-cooking.

I shopped around a lot and opened up a lot of cookers before I chose this Sanyo. It impressed me because it had a very solid feel to it, expecially the cooking bowls themselves. And it was only $100, but out-shined units that cost twice as much.

So far, I've just used it to make Basmati and Forbidden rice, Quinoa, and hard-boiled eggs ... each of which turned out incredibly well with almost no effort.

But I'd like to do more ... especially with the slow-cook functions.

So if you could share some of those recipes, or at least point us to some relevant websites, it would be greatly appreciated.

In my experience with a basic rice cooker, they are based suited for making plain brown or white rice. If I want mujadra, kichiri, or pulao rice or anything along those lines I make it on the stove top.

If you want a healthier white rice, you can also mix in Irish/steel-cut oats at a 1:3 ratio, and also about half as much (as the oats) of another fibre/protein heavy grain like Quinoa or Wild Rice.

Does not detract from the taste (IMO) like you can get with brown rice, but adds a healthy punch. Just make sure that the total grains to water ratio is 1:2 in the end, and you can mix it up however you personally enjoy.

Cheers.

J
Tricky thing about mixing grains is that they likely have differing optimal cooking times.

As far as nutrition goes, white rice is pretty close to empty.

I've found a whole grain basmati at Trader Joe's that's not as in-your-face as some other whole grain rice. Of course, my son (who's 12, and has healthy fruit, vegetable & sushi instincts in most other regards) still objects. :frown:

As regards the OP -- I use our 5 or 6-year-old Zoji KCC05 for cooking rice, steel-cut oats & some other grains (e.g. - Quinoa, which I bought on a lark and turned out to be a huge hit).

(e.g. - Quinoa, which I bought on a lark and turned out to be a huge hit).

I discovered Quinoa at Trader Joe's about a year ago, and fell in love with it. Then, about 11 months ago, it become very hard to find. Every time I go there, the shelf is empty. The clerks and stockers at TJ's tell me order it all the time, but they just can't get it from their suppliers anymore.

(Also patiently waiting for white CousCous at TJ's ... haven't seen that in about 6 months, either.)

My local supermarket (Wegmans) carries Quinoa in the bulk-food section, but even that gets sold out almost immediately when they get a new shipment.

Other brands of Quinoa (like Bob's Red Mill) are too expensive for my budget, but that doesn't stop other people from snapping them up as soon as they hit the shelves.

Tricky thing about mixing grains is that they likely have differing optimal cooking times.
I use our 5 or 6-year-old Zoji KCC05 for cooking rice, steel-cut oats & some other grains (e.g. - Quinoa, which I bought on a lark and turned out to be a huge hit).

We have relatives who use a carton of seemingly random grains that is sold in Chinatown in NYC to mix into their rice/cooker, but we have not found it on the west coast. I forget the exact name, but it's something "treasures" or similar. That carton is sold with this exact purpose in mind.

That's what gave us the idea to mix in other grains (quinoa, steel-cut oats, wild rice). Both seem to work equally well -- I think as long as you do not use something with a super-long cook time (like dry beans or something) you should be ok.

Cheers.

J

Top Bottom