one can sweet english peas
1 lb crawfish (with fat) or shrimp 40-50 count
1/2 small onion sweet yellow chopped
1/2 cup green onion diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1 stick butter
beef broth 1 can
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Louisiana season (slap ya mama or tony chachere's)

Add all to pot, stir a few times if possible and thats it.

+1 to all the quinoa remarks. My wife is Peruvian and quinoa is very popular there. In many households, if you are eating steamed rice, you are also eating quinoa, a handful of which is simply thrown in with the rice prior to cooking it.

My wife's basic peruvian steamed rice:
Rice + water as usual
A handful of quinoa, rinsed well
A healthy pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil

As for Japanese stuff, there's a lot of mixing with steamed rice prior to cooking. For a winter treat -- very common in school lunches over there -- try throwing some chunked (or whole) chestnuts in the rice before cooking. Does better in large batches.

Just don't get soy sauce anywhere near your rice :)

+1 to steaming veggies in it too -- if your rice cooker didn't come with a steaming platform, shop around at places like goodwill or wherever. Find a metal sieve or colander that fits in it without messing up the seal too bad.

the rice cookers I've had were automatic. I add all the recipe and run a cycle just the same as I would for a cycle for rice. When the cooker switches from cook to warm it's done.

15 mins maybe.

I've never timed mine, but I think it takes about 20~25 minutes to go from cook to warm, the same as if you made it by hand on the stove top.

Once it clicks over to warm mode, I always let it sit for about 5 or 10 more minutes before I open, fluff and serve.

Does a rice cooker make sticky rice or do the individual grains fall apart? I like it sticky, just like in a Chinese restaurant.

Tim

Does a rice cooker make sticky rice or do the individual grains fall apart? I like it sticky, just like in a Chinese restaurant.

Tim

My first few attempts with my fuzzy-logic Sanyo turned out very sticky ... not what I wanted at all.

A little experimentation with pre-rinsing, the rice-water ratio, and additives like olive-oil or butter will yield the stickiness (or lack thereof) that you desire.

Depends on what you mean by sticky -- but usually it will if you use enough water. You can do things to the rice after it finishes cooking, like cool it quickly or add things like vinegar and sugar to make it like sushi rice... Rice is cheap, experiment and find out what it can do.

If you have a dog, rice is a good treat once in a while -- they can help you clean up the experiments :)

Do you have a model number?

The fuzzy-logic Sanyo that I bought is model ECJ-HC55S/H ... I paid $99.99 for it at the Air Force Exchange. Normal retail is about $130 plus tax. Well worth it even at the full price. (You may not be able to find this exact model ... it appears to be out of production. Sanyo has others that are close to it in specs and performance.)

Here is a link to it's 10-cup bigger brother, the ECJ-HC100S/H ... take note of the fact that all nine reviewers gave it a 5-star rating.

The 5-cup version that I have is more than adequate for bachelor living and an occasional guest. If you're cooking for a family, get the 10-cup model.

I got a small (~4 cups cooked) rice cooker as a gag-gift from my mom last year, because as good as I am at cooking everything else, I can never remember how to do rice and always screw it up.
Best. gift. ever.

First thing I do when we move into a bigger appartment or house is to get a nice big fancy rice cooker.

I remember when I was a kid my korean friend would always have a rice cooker on the counter with hot rice in it. One afternoon was my introduction to korean style "fried rice" with kim-chee and nori odly enough, using the nori and kimchee strips to bundle and pick up fried rice with chopsticks.

That's what gave us the idea to mix in other grains (quinoa, steel-cut oats, wild rice). Both seem to work equally well -- I think as long as you do not use something with a super-long cook time (like dry beans or something) you should be ok.

We mix in a lot of wild rice and it used to come out stiffer than the white rice no matter what. As a suggestion -- worked for us -- put the wild rice in the water an hour or two before you start cooking the rice to let it soak. Makes everything come out the same.

Can't go wrong with the rice cooker for McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal; I use my little Zojirushi, which has a timer and a porridge setting, to make it ready for me when I awake.

Steel cut oats are a real bugger on the stovetop, leaving a sticky pot after having to constantly stir it anyways. They want an overnight soaking for the proper consistency, too, but the rice cooker makes it easy as pie.

3:1 ratio of water:eek:ats, soak and cook as that, and when finished add 1 part milk and suit to taste with brown sugar/honey, cinammon, nutmeg, fruit, etc. I like brown sugar, raisins, some cinammon, and a touch of nutmeg.

Who knew oatmeal could be something to look forward to?

Ya'll remarking about the rice; you haven't lived until you've tried Ellis Stansel's Gourmet 'popcorn' rice from Louisiana. It really does stink up the kitchen like popcorn as its brewing in the cooker; an amazing base for any recipe calling for a medium-grain white rice.

Top Bottom