What's new

Rust Prevention?

Here's an interesting article on rust preventatives. The tests were done on identical pieces of steel that were contaminated with, among other things, "salts". http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

I suspect a clean surface, like a well cleaned (with alcohol?) razor, might rust a bit slower. (Assuming I always get all my "salty" fingerprints off.)

Of the three front runners in the test, Ballistol seems to be the most human-friendly; in terms of entering through a cut or pores...

I think I'll retire my usual mineral oil and try the Ballistol out for 6 months or so.

Even better, when my local humidity gets high again this summer; I will:
  • Chemically degrease an old beater.
  • Run my fingers over my somewhat greasy forehead...
  • Place fingerprints on both sides af the razor.
  • Apply Mineral oil, Ballistol, and Olive oil to different areas of the razor.

To be continued...

P.S.
One supply source: http://www.ballistol.com/
And a quote from that site: "Millions of users have experimented with BALLISTOL and found new surprising applications for it, some of which reach into field of veterinary and even human medicine."

I'm always using Ballistol on my str8 razors with excellent results.
After shaving I clean the blade with a toilet paper to remove all traces of
tallow/soap because the rust starts there beneath those traces.
I coat the blade with Ballsitol (A cotton wab soaked with Ballsitol) and give a little spritz in the area of the pivot pin between the handles.
Ballistol mixes with water to make an emulsion and neutralise oxidation by binding the oxigen with the special components in the oil.
I know it sounds strange but it works already for more than 100 years.
So far not a single trace of rust on my str8 razors ( and weapons ).
It's also quite a strong desinfectant and totally non-toxic, even when taken internally...
In German pharmacies you can buy Ballistol for internal use against all kind of diseases (Neo Ballistol).

Thanks for the post. I do have a question and that is how long does it last? I use Corrosion-X now and it is a similar product and I use it every day. It would probably last a while but I don't want to take a chance with my good razors. I was hoping that some that has some experience would offer some advice if they have been using it a while.

Thanks,
Richard

+1 on the Ballistol. Maybe camelia seed oil comes close but I've got Ballistol locally available so I could save the shipping.

The rust preventing properties of Ballistol last a very long time.
My guns, stored in not so dry environement, but coated with Ballsitol, have not the slightest traces of rust.
The same with my 16 str8 razors, which I keep in a closed cabinet in my not so dry bath-room.
In Germany, Ballsitol made a test consisting of burrying rifles coated with Ballistol and wraped in paper. After years in the ground, the weapons didn't show any trace of rust.

I didn't word that correctly. If I use my razor do I have to coat it every time?

Thanks,
Richard

No, as long as you store very dry. I coat mine with Tug-Glide. I only dry them and then store in a cabinet open to the air. I've never had any rust. If for some reason I get some moisture in the tang area, I put a drop of Sterol in that area, just in case.

No, as long as you store very dry. I coat mine with Tug-Glide. I only dry them and then store in a cabinet open to the air. I've never had any rust. If for some reason I get some moisture in the tang area, I put a drop of Sterol in that area, just in case.

+1
This is what I have been doing. No rust on anything I still have.

The only drawback to Ballistoil is that is smells not so good:frown:

My wife has banned its use in the home shaveden....

Seraphim, do you use the 'original' forumla version? It does stink a bit but I only smell it when I'm really close to that oil. Mhh.. maybe you put the razors where she can't smell the Ballistol? Or what do you use now?

I use the Ballistoil when doing restorations, etc "in the shop". I use camella oil in the shave den.

Both work great.

for what it's worth, i find camphor a very convenient rust-inhibitor. i use it in the cigar box i store my razors in, and have never have a corrosion problem. i got this tip from cabinet-makers:

Keeping rust off your tools.
Keep small amounts of solid (block-style) camphor in the drawers of your tool boxes and cabinets. Camphor gives off fumes that will form a rust preventative coating on all your tools. It's available from many woodworking catalogs, as well as your local pharmacy.
Keep the camphor in ordinary, small medicine bottles, like those used for prescription medications. Drill a series of small holes in the lid (or the bottom) to allow the camphor fumes to escape and permeate the drawer or cabinet:

when the razor is removed from the cigar box, the highly volatile camphor oil vaporizes in a couple of minutes.

Camphor oil also works well as a rust preventative. I hadn't heard about using the solid form of camphor, but that makes sense as well. But you can also use the camphor oil if for some reason you have a difficult time finding a solid block of camphor. I also believe you could try the block of camphor to prevent rust, and the camphor oil would come in handy for rust removal in the even that some occurs at some point.

Can baby oil be used for rust prevention?

Baby oil is mineral oil with a bit of fragrence.

I am always worried arout the area around the hinge pin. I have used a drop or two of Kroil to penetrate the pivot area and I use my wife's hair dryer to warm and dry the razor after wiping it off. So far so good, but I may have to try these other oils out.

I use baby oil on my blades and keep them next to the remington de humidifier. Excellent results so far...

Top Bottom