Thread: A different grip...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A different grip...

This morning I tried a different grip on my Gillette Super Speed, and I was impressed with the way it increased my awareness of what the blade was doing.

I got the idea yesterday when I stumbled across LeisureGuy's DE blog. He mentions shaving with a travel razor with a short handle. Instead of using the handle, he found himself holding the head of the razor.

My Super Speed has a fairly short handle, so this morning I tried gripping the razor with my thumb, index, and middle fingers on the narrow part of the handle, right behind the head. The end of the handle rested in my palm, close to my wrist.

This grip was more secure than the two-or-three fingers grip I'd been using, and it allowed me to feel the whiskers getting cut. The small vibrations don't make it all the way up the handle normally, but closer to the blade I could tell whether the razor was cutting or just sliding along.

I found this helpful, since I'm just in my second week of DE shaves.

So--not claiming any credit here, but I just thought I'd pass the idea along.

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

That's very cool. So it does work, eh? The little travel razor actually had no handle at all. (photos at the link)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is a very neat razor!

Was that an ebay find?

I will definetly be keeping an eye out for something like that.

-Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Leisureguy
    That's very cool. So it does work, eh? The little travel razor actually had no handle at all. (photos at the link)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leisureguy
    Wow--that's a sweet little razor. I'd love to see what the TSA guys make of that...

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Yep, it was on eBay. I've already sold it to a fellow forum member who REALLY wanted it. Gave him a good deal: $1 less than I paid. I mainly wanted to try it out. He also commented that holding it by the head helped with being able to feel cutting vs. scraping. (In the post with the photos is a link to my first shave with it.)