What's new

After 5 weeks of DE loving it! lessons learned(long)

OK, I have gone through the varieties in my WCS sampler pack and after 5 weeks of DE shaving I am sold. I have been a wet shaver my whole life and had been using TOBS Sandalwood cream, brushless, with my Sensor for many years. Here is what I am using:
Mergress razor, Derbys will be my standard with Feathers on the weekends. Rooney Alibaba brush, soapstone bowl, TOBS sandalwood cream, added the same aftershave.

Here are some things I did right:
1. I spent about a month with the brush and cream using my Sensor to learn the brush routine and to learn my beard. I went to 3 passes with the Sensor(nice shaves, by the way).

2. I started out making the lather in my palm but found it much easier and more volume in a soapstone bowl.

3. I started with my Progress on 1.5 and have left it there as I have sampled two blades a week. I am not trying to get more than 4 shaves from a blade.

4. I tossed the Merkur blades after 2 shaves. The others are all good but the Derby seems to be the best all around. The Feather seems sharper, but not not better by a quantum. So I bought some large quantities of Derbys and Feathers.

5. I am doing 4 passes and getting DFS with an occasional BBS when I want to. Although I have not had any blood, getting a BBS gives me some neck irritation so I added TOBS aftershave to improve the feel.

Next I will experiment with different settings on my Mergress for different passes. I love the routine, love the shaves, and love hearing the hairs get sliced as I shave.

The Red Pack Personnas were not a part of my sampler. I had Merkur, Crystal, Derby, Swedish G's, and Feathers. I am now going to use a Derby Mon-Thurs and a Feather Fri-Sun.

Top Bottom