What's new

Differences Between 7 O'Clock Yellow And Green Packs?

Just placed an order for a sample pack of razors from Westcoastshaving and after doing so noticed that Gillette has a green pack version of the 7 O'Clocks. Would I notice a difference between the yellow pack that I ordered (Sharp Edge) and the green pack (Super Stainless)?

There are also Black pack (Superplatinum) 7 o'clock ... (I find them @ Razor and Brush's Barbier.Italiana)

I would like to know what is the difference between those blades!:confused:

i have tried yellow and green (both Russian made) from dridiot and they are both excellent. i give the edge (no pun intended) to the greens though, as they are what give me 100% irritation free shaves.. the yellows gave a bit of irritation (just a bit though - still less than other non-7 o'clock blades). that might just be me, or the conditions on the day, but i think i tried enough to know (at least 5 yellow blades). ill be ordering 100 green next time! try both :smile:

I've used all three -- yellow, green and black packaging. I prefer them in that order as well. I thought the yellow was sharpest. The green was quite smooth and I could use either interchangeably. The black seemed the least sharp to me.

I have tried many blades. Gave away most from the sampler pack. I have a very stubborn, hard to remove stubble. I ordered Derbies in bulk, as well as Dorcos, Israeli reds, and Crystals from westcoast, and he even sent me a sample of Swedish Gillette. I also tried feathers. I have tried a couple of green blades, don't remember exactly which, but not enough to know for sure, but I don't since remember how the shave was as I was relatively inexperienced. Sometimes I get lucky and get an irritation free shave but notice its not always even. I'm wondering if someone can introduce me to these 7oclocks. I almost bought 100 but I want to know the differences between the Green and Yellow before I buy them in bulk. I had a severely irritating shave today, more so than usual. I am fairly experienced but have yet to settle on 1 or 2 blades. Right now its Derbies, Reds, and Crystals, but nothing is quite the satisfaction I have in mind. So if someone can help me, I'd much appreciate it.

I've only tried the green ones from Russia. They are well thought of by Squire at Shavemyface.com who does the blade reviews. I believe the difference between them is that the yellow ones are supposed to be sharper and have a type of coating on them that the green ones do not have.

New, after going through that many blades I would hope you've found one you like by now. My guess is that you might have a razor technique problem or you are using a cream or soap that does not agree with your skin.

Just placed an order for a sample pack of razors from Westcoastshaving and after doing so noticed that Gillette has a green pack version of the 7 O'Clocks. Would I notice a difference between the yellow pack that I ordered (Sharp Edge) and the green pack (Super Stainless)?

The yellow packs are coated, they are smoother and last a bit longer. The green (russian) ones are good also and easier to obtain but the yellows are better.

This is a very rough summary, and purely based on my opinion/memory, but here goes:

Super Stainless (green, uncoated, Russia) -- sharp, borderline smooth, may not last as long as the others
Super Platinum (black, platinum, India) -- sharp, a bit smoother but sort of inconsistent, lasts long enough
Permasharp Stainless (green, coated, India) -- sharp and smooth
SharpEdge (yellow, coated, Russia) -- sharp and smooth

Note that there are two greens above, with very similar packaging, but different performance (and countries of manufacture). There's an excellent page of in-depth blade reviews over at SMF, but the site is having technical issues. I'll post it when they recover.

Cheers.

J

I haven't tried the Black, but both the green and yellow yielded good results in my New.
I recently ordered more of the yellows from Giovanni.

This is a very rough summary, and purely based on my opinion/memory, but here goes:

Super Stainless (green, uncoated, Russia) -- sharp, borderline smooth, may not last as long as the others
Super Platinum (black, platinum, India) -- sharp, a bit smoother but sort of inconsistent, lasts long enough
Permasharp Stainless (green, coated, India) -- sharp and smooth
SharpEdge (yellow, coated, Russia) -- sharp and smooth

Note that there are two greens above, with very similar packaging, but different performance (and countries of manufacture). There's an excellent page of in-depth blade reviews over at SMF, but the site is having technical issues. I'll post it when they recover.

Cheers.

J

I would encourage you all to listen to this man. I have not tried the Russian Green Super Stainless, but the other three I have all tried and I agree very much with this assessment. Right now I am alternating between the Permasharps and the SharpEdges, and I am having a LOT of trouble distinguishing between them.

If I had to choose, I would say that the Green Permasharps are a touch smoother to my face, and so I would take those over the yellows. I found the blacks a bit rough, and after using one for a week I found some "skin thinning", like many people experience with Feathers.

But the Yellows and Indian Greens are great, great blades.

i have tried yellow and green (both Russian made) from dridiot and they are both excellent. i give the edge (no pun intended) to the greens though, as they are what give me 100% irritation free shaves.. the yellows gave a bit of irritation (just a bit though - still less than other non-7 o'clock blades).

My experience is just the opposite: the yellows blades give me a smoother shave than the greens (both are Russian made). The yellows also seem sharper than the greens.

My current go-to blade is the Israeli Super+ IP/Crystal. The green blade seems a little sharper but more irritating than the Israeli. The yellow seems sharper still and a little smoother than the Israeli.

The Yellows are superb, maybe a tad better than the Indian Green permasharps. But my first shave with them provided a valuable lesson. I started with a Red Tip and while the blade was extraordinarily sharp, it left my face chafed and a bit raw. Not good. Day two saw the same blade in an undated notched Super Speed. Good move. Very good move. The less aggressive razor married beautifully with the super sharp Yellow. Smooth close shave. Outstanding. Similar to the Swede, but priced for the everman. "YO" is deliberating on making these much more accessible, see the B/S/T forum thread. Bravo "YO".

The Yellows are superb, maybe a tad better than the Indian Green permasharps. But my first shave with them provided a valuable lesson. I started with a Red Tip and while the blade was extraordinarily sharp, it left my face chafed and a bit raw. Not good. Day two saw the same blade in an undated notched Super Speed. Good move. Very good move. The less aggressive razor married beautifully with the super sharp Yellow. Smooth close shave. Outstanding. Similar to the Swede, but priced for the everman. "YO" is deliberating on making these much more accessible, see the B/S/T forum thread. Bravo "YO".

Hey Darjeeling, curious to hear how you thought the yellow compared with the swede. I seem to have to be more careful with the swede to avoid razor burn, so I guess I would call the yellow a hair more forgiving.

Cheers.

J

Hey Darjeeling, curious to hear how you thought the yellow compared with the swede. I seem to have to be more careful with the swede to avoid razor burn, so I guess I would call the yellow a hair more forgiving.

Cheers.

J

"YO", they're too close (no pun) to call. I had shave #4 today. Still outstanding. I'm giving the blade a work out with 3 full passes. One of the distinguishing features of the Swedes (and rationalizing their cost) was that you could get 4 plus shaves out of the blade (DIrving got 30 plus out of his, truly), but the Yellows are giving them a run for their money. I will keep you posted. DE.

I find the "Swede" noticeably more forgiving than 7'O'Clock Yellow. Honestly, I'm hesitant to use the Yellow again after my one experience with it. Oh, and lately I ditch my blades after one use, so longevity isn't really an issue for me. I only care about comfort. YMMV.

Top Bottom