What's new

mach 3

It's better than disposals but I believe a DE is better than a Mach 3. The Mach 3 will work but you can do better. The Mach 3 sort of "tugs" at your hairs before cutting them whereas a DE just slices those things right off your face.

That said, I believe a quality brush and cream or soap make the biggest difference, not the razor. You can get a good shave with a Mach 3 and a quality brush and cream/soap but why not just throw in a DE razor to complete the experience?

You can get a good shave with a Mach 3, but like the previous post says, it lifts and cuts, as opposed to just one single fine cut per pass. Also, cartridge razors can tend to give some people, (me included), ingrown hairs. As I'm starting to get my technique refined with a DE, the skin on my face just feels much better. I've got a really heavy beard, and shaving has gone from being a chore that I endured every day to something I really enjoy.

For one thing, the name. That alone should tell you that it's pure marketing. Do we really need to be manipulated into subliminal messages of fast cars and airplanes in order to purchase a product to shave with? Do we really need a razor that moves across our face faster than the speed of sound? I wouldn't be surprised if enhanced aerodynamics are marketed as part of the next design.

I'm sure a lot of the responses will be "whatever works for you is fine", but I've got an aversion to these gimmicky shave items. I used them all of my life with poor results, and now find myself ticked off that I was marketed inferior products.

By the way, whatever works for you is fine.

I consider a Mach 3 to be a disposable.

+ 1...yeah, me too...i always considered Mach 3 a disposable 'till 3 weeks ago when i saw disposable disposable Mach 3 on ads...kind of one plastic single piece in packs of 3...handle printed on disposable!!

Are we fools!!??!:mad3:

+ 1...yeah, me too...i always considered Mach 3 a disposable 'till 3 weeks ago when i saw disposable disposable Mach 3 on ads...kind of one plastic single piece in packs of 3...handle printed on disposable!!

Are we fools!!??!:mad3:

In a word...yes! But only because we're suckers when it comes to advertising. We've developed in a species that lives by the sound bite. With attention spans shorter that an inchworm. It's all about what pleases us at the moment not what is going to happen in the long run. Immediate satisfaction guaranteed!!

I had been using a DE then went travelling and pulled out the Mach 3. For me the shave was ok but my regrowth was weird, a few ingrown hairs. I think the Mach 3 is an ok disposable though. Oh and hair gets stuck between the blades if you have a bit of growth. It doesn't feel as good shaving with one as it does with a REAL blade.

- Aaron

It works fine for some guys, for others it's hell on their face. Causes ingrowns, irritation. They work great on my face, so I don't really have a beef with them, other than the cost.

-Mason

The mach 3 didn't give me a terrible shave. The main reason I switched to de was the cost of mach 3 and fusion blades. Also, the coolness factor of shaving the way my grandfather did is a big bonus.

For me the Mach 3 gave the best of my bad shaves. While not a resounding backing of the product, it wasn't the worst. It usually made a mess of my neck in a hurry though (irritation, in grown hairs, nicks). It's a whole different ball game from DE. I'll never go back!

If you look carefully at the 3 blades on the Mach 3, you can see that they're all at a slightly different angle. The first blade has the shallowest angle and the third one is at the steepest, I'm pretty sure that's what causes all the tugging. The Fusion on the other hand has a more conssitant setup, and while I did enjoy the one I got for free, I for would rather save some money and take a little bit more time.

i have never tried one. i went from disposibles to de. what is so bad about the mach 3?

For me it was 2 things- the price and the shave.

The mach cartridges cost about $2.50 apiece, and I can get 20 DE blades for that price. 20 DE blades last me about 5 months or so.

The shave is ok with a mach only when all blades are sharp, but as soon as the front-most blades get slightly dull, it's irritation and ingrown city. I always tried to stretch the blades out too, because of the price- a viscous cycle indeed.

I bought one and used it twice. It gave a quick and acceptable shave, but it didn't feel very good and the handle seemed light and flimsy. Given the price of the cartridges, I wouldn't bother with one again unless I needed it as carry-on for airline travel.

Best Regards

Graham

M3 gave me awful irritation and small, nasty looking shave bumps near my mouth. Yikes!! This usually occurred a day after the shave (or two days).

Switched to DE shaving and have zero shaving bumps now. I shaved yesterday (best shave yet) and today I have zero irritation near my mouth. (Maybe a bit of irritation around my neck, still learning. :wink:)

I used my Mach 3 and my fusion for months after getting my brush, bowl and creams. It worked fine. I like my DE blades now because they are cheaper, recyclable and make me look cool.

The worst thing I find with mach 3s is the cost of blades, I think they are very good razors, I personally have always had a close shave with one.

The process of just buying the M3 cartridges has become a major hassle, as they're behind glass at most stores I've been to in the past few years. By the time I found a pharmacy here that had 'em on the shelf, I was in there to buy a pack of Merkur blades anyway.

Top Bottom