What's new

Is this "Super Badger" brush really just "pure" quality?

I read this on Wikipedia:

"A super badger brush is a more expensive than either 'best' or 'pure'. While some call this hair 'silvertip', it is often highly graded 'pure' hair bleached on the ends to resemble silvertip.
Though it is comprised of 'pure' badger hairs, 'super' is graded and sorted to such a degree that its performance is superior to that of 'best'."

And I was about ready to go buy a Crabtree & Evelyn Superbadger brush. ($58 on sale) These are made by Edwin Jagger.

So how can I be sure that this brush is of "silvertip" quality and not just bleached "pure" bristles?

It seems to me that it would depend upon the reputation and integrity of whomever you are buying your brush from.

I would hope that, if you buy a brush from one of the well known and highly regarded manufacturers, your chances of getting a high quality grade of hair is very good.

Companies' have good reason to maintain high quality when they have built their business upon that quality. Reputations, either personal or corporate can be lost much quicker than they are built.

Regards,
Tom

Unfortunately, there is no standard for grading badger hair. Look here. Each company has their own names for their grades of hair ... best, super, silvertip, grey, finest, etc ... and they all have different meanings.

I would rely on the experience of the members o this board, largely. But, if you are buying from a well-established company like Vulfix, Simpsons, Rooney, Shavemac, Savile Row, Kent, etc. (I know I'm missing a lot of names here), then you aren't likely to get swindled. Most of those companies stand behind their brushes, and if you deal with certain vendors (VintageBlades, ClassicShaving, Charles at QED, to name some that I've dealt with), you get another level of reassurance that any problems or discrepancies in the quality of your brush will be promptly handled, no questions asked. If you buy from a reputable dealer, then you can rest assured you will get what you pay for.

I've also got a C&E Super that I bought just a week ago and I can say without a doubt that it's definitely a high quality brush. Super soft, holds lots of water, works well with soap or cream, and hasn't shed a single hair.

I have an Edwin Jagger Super Badger Brush and it is definitely WAY softer than my Col Conk Pure Badger. Unless you're buying an SBB from some shady back-alley brush salesman, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

I agree with others. If you are buying from a respectable company you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you are buying a random Chinese brush off of FleaBay you are taking your chances.

true, if you want a cadillac you wont go to germany and buy one..you'll go to gm here in detroit usa. so go by the big names in badger business and you wont go wrong..the big players arevulfix , simpson, shavemac,rooney,kent,omega, (my choice would be vulfix)

I'm not sure of GM is the best example to use of a reputable brand these days... plus I'd trust a car made in Germany before I'd trust one made in Detroit. :lol:

On a serious note, as far as brush brands go, Edwin Jagger is every bit as reputable as Vulfix, Shavemac, or Savile Row.

I would say that their super badger for 58 is a good price; however for about 20 bucks more you could get a Rooney Super Silvertip. If you want quality you cant beat it!

As fas as I concern you can bleach pure badger hair but the look and the feeling would be far distant than a super badger/silvertip one.

Top Bottom