What's new

Adjustable open comb DE razor

Has there ever been an adjustable open comb razor? I guess they are not common as I have never seen one but then again my experience is limited.

Has anyone managed to make one by putting slots into a flat safety bar razor?

It all depends on what you consider "adjustable". The instruction sheet for the original Gillette Old Type gave instruction as to how to adjust the closeness of the shave by tightening or loosening the handle of the razor. This changed the warp of the blade, and consequently, the angle of the blade edge.

In the sense of the adjustable settings as are on the adjustable Gillette TTO razors of the late '50's and beyond, I don't know of any. By that time, most razors had gone to the solid safety bar rather than a comb style bar. There were still some open combs among the early model TTO's in the '30's, but not by the time the adjustable dial razor came out in '58.

Perhaps there is/was some lesser known make of razor that combined the adjustable mechanism with a comb style safety bar but, if so, I don't recall seeing one. (If there was, I'm sure one of our DE guru's will come along and let me know what I'm forgetting. :001_smile)

As far as your suggestion of modifying a solid safety bar to file slots into it, look at a solid bar razor . . . There are generally slots running horizontally that would make this impractical to modify as you suggest.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom