What's new

holding the Str8?

I have read Joel's sticky on str8's. I have a question on the holding method. I have tried to hold the razor as Joel describes, pic here aprox:
proxy.php

Problem is on my first try I am having troulbe seeing the blade holding with this method. I then tried this orientation:
proxy.php

And seems that I can see the blade better as I cut. Any comments? I am totally new to this and yes I realize this is not a str8, but all I have right now.
Mark

Normally I'd say go for what suits you best. But right when you begin you should try to stick as close to the recommendations as possible. That involves dealing with not seeing the blade at first then turning your head/hand to see the straight razor.

Trust me, dealing with all those pesky problems is half the fun in straight razor shaving.

Don't hold it as shown in the second picture. Joel is absolutely correct in his description of how to hold the razor.

I liken the orientation of a straight razor to the orientation of a violin bow. The correct way doesn't feel natural at first, but with practice, the correct way affords the best freedom of movement... there's a reason it's called "correct" :001_smile

Enjoying the cold weather in Santa Rosa? I just had Vietnamese food over there the other day at Pho Vietnam on Stony Point Rd... great soup.

The first one is correct. As I have been using straights I discovered that I can watch the scale and change the angle as I wish. Sometimes during a stroke I will slowly change the angle of attack of the blade and it is easier if I can see the scale. One of the distinct advantages, that I can see, to a straight is that you can change the angle of the blade as you are shaving.

later,
R

Don't hold it as shown in the second picture. Joel is absolutely correct in his description of how to hold the razor.

I liken the orientation of a straight razor to the orientation of a violin bow. The correct way doesn't feel natural at first, but with practice, the correct way affords the best freedom of movement... there's a reason it's called "correct" :001_smile

Enjoying the cold weather in Santa Rosa? I just had Vietnamese food over there the other day at Pho Vietnam on Stony Point Rd... great soup.

I like the cold rainy weather, cause it means snow in the Sierras. I can't wait to get back on the slopes. I live just a couple blocks away from Stony Point off Sebastopol rd. Small world!

I'll give you the same advice several English professors gave me in college, "Once you master the rules, then you can break them." I would perfect the textbook methods of str8 shaving before you try to do anything out of the ordinary. There is a good reason many of the tactics/tricks that are standard have become standard.

Does holding the scales downward allow you to see the blade better? I am a bit lost trying to visualize the difference.

You would place your thumb under the tang, to the left (on both photos) of where the scales are attached. Then your index an middle finger on the upper side of the tang, opposite the thumb. Third finger on the upper side of the tang, on the other side of where the scales are fixed. the difference would be that in the "correct" position the scales point upward, while in the "alternate" position, they would go downward on the palm of your hand.

In neither case should the scales interfere with your vision of the blade?

Also, one disadvantage of the "alternate" position could be (I have not tried it), that since the scales are on the inside of your hand, you might involutarily push against them, holding your rasor in a steeper, more agressive angle.

Best regards,
Marc

Top Bottom