What's new

Hi there! A little help would be appreciated!

Hello, hello, hello! I'm a new member that has decided to join this community after visiting, or "lurking", here for several weeks. I never knew shaving could be so interesting, and actually be something worth waking up for. After browsing around, I really feel this place has one of the most friendly communities online.

I'm 15 years old (most people here are double that age, haha) and I've been shaving for about half a year now. I've tried the 'goo in can' method, but it's just not working for me. After reading some of the reviews, I picked up some Williams soap with a Van Der Hagen brush. The shave was pretty comfortable, but not as close as I wanted. I just recently bought KMF cream to create a superlather, which I'm sure will yield more positive results.

Unfortunately, I can't purchase any products online so I'm limited to what I can find locally—and that includes vintage razors. I don't have any antique shops near here either. So, really, my Mach 3 is my only option. I feel a bit worried since most people here focus on either straights or DE's. I'm really not sure my current set up will give me at least a DCS, if not a BBS.

So my first question is, will it give me a great shave with good prep and a
superlather combination?

Secondly, do anyone of you have good, solid tips on using a M3? I find guides
tend to focus on DE's and such, so any help would be great.

My current set up as of 21, Dec:
Razor: Mach 3
Cream: Kiss my Face unscented
Soap: Williams, Van Der Hagen soap
Brush: Van Der Hagen boar brush (off-white handle)

It must be pretty bare by your standards, huh? :p

Welcome to B&B young man, My son is 15 and he to just started his journey into shaving. You'll see him around here razorboy524 once and awhile.

Anyway, I can't help with the M3, I smashed mine a long time ago..lol

Your set up is fine, we all had to start out somewhere.

There is no doubt in my mind that even with your M3, a solid prep and technique will give you a better shave than canned goo...

Best of luck and enjoy!

Welcome to B&B. Don't worry about using a M3 because there's quite a quys on here that use them. If your wanting to try a DE or straight check the BST forum for a Pay it Forward (PIF).

Hello, hello, hello! I'm a new member that has decided to join this community after visiting, or "lurking", here for several weeks. I never knew shaving could be so interesting, and actually be something worth waking up for. After browsing around, I really feel this place has one of the most friendly communities online.

I'm 15 years old (most people here are double that age, haha) and I've been shaving for about half a year now. I've tried the 'goo in can' method, but it's just not working for me. After reading some of the reviews, I picked up some Williams soap with a Van Der Hagen brush. The shave was pretty comfortable, but not as close as I wanted. I just recently bought KMF cream to create a superlather, which I'm sure will yield more positive results.

Unfortunately, I can't purchase any products online so I'm limited to what I can find locally—and that includes vintage razors. I don't have any antique shops near here either. So, really, my Mach 3 is my only option. I feel a bit worried since most people here focus on either straights or DE's. I'm really not sure my current set up will give me at least a DCS, if not a BBS.

So my first question is, will it give me a great shave with good prep and a
superlather combination?

Secondly, do anyone of you have good, solid tips on using a M3? I find guides
tend to focus on DE's and such, so any help would be great.

My current set up as of 21, Dec:
Razor: Mach 3
Cream: Kiss my Face unscented
Soap: Williams, Van Der Hagen soap
Brush: Van Der Hagen boar brush (off-white handle)

It must be pretty bare by your standards, huh? :p

Welcome! I wish I had something like this available when I was 15.

Without knowing where you are, it's difficult to give recommendations on stores you can visit. For example, in NYC you have Pasteur's and Cambridge Chemists. In Northern NJ you have Sally's Beauty Supply, and Harmon stores. Crabtree & Evelyn sells a Badger brush which is highly regarded by many members here.

Can you get a decent shave from a Mach 3? Yes, you can. With good prep, especially shaving in the shower, or just out of the shower, you should be able to get at least a DFS from a Mach 3. My advice, based solely on two weeks travel with a four bladed beast using a boar brush and Burma shave soap is to go lightly, almost as if you were using a DE.

I'm sure you will get more detailed responses from other folks here about the M3.

You should also keep on the lookout for PIFs and maybe check out garage sales and flea markets in your area for vintage DE's.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies!

I live north of the metro Detroit area, and there is a C&E store in a mall close by, along with a Bath and Body Works store. So, if I ever need a new brush or cream I'll be sure to visit and pick some things up. But for now, I'm happy with what I have; it might not be the best, but I think it will work pretty well for now. My main concern was actually the razor, not the creams and such, so I'm relieved. I actually thought a M3 would be something of the "underworld."

The only thing missing is practice, huh? I keep my shaves to a few passes only, and then build the ritual up to get that perfect shave. If I ever encounter a problem, this place will definitely be the first place I'll turn to.

(Doesn't it feel awesome to know things that most people don't know . . . like wetshaving? :p)

Welcome to B&B

Vanderhagen soap is available in most drug stores and walmart cheap and I think is better then williams soap, but a superlather should do you just fine

one of the biggest differences between using a cartridge razor and a DE is with the cartridge razors you actually have to use some pressure to get a good shave where as with a DE you don't want to use pressure other then that you can use the same technique and learn to do multiple passes wtg, atg, xtg,

good luck and enjoy

Welcome to B&B.

To add to the "pressure" thing: be careful doing that, even with a cartridge razor: while you will probably not draw blood (as would happen with a DE and too much pressure) it's still very easy to irritate your skin. So be on the lookout for skin irritation -- if shaving two days in a row is too painful you are probably pressing down too hard.

I've only recently got into wet shaving, and bought a lot of M3 cartridges before I bought a DE razor, so I still have plenty of m3 blades I've used from time to time.
So yes, I've experimented with soaps and techniques while waiting for DE blades to arrive as I didn't like the first few different types of blades I bought with my razors, so I've been back to the M3 a few times.

I've got good shaves practicing making a good lather using a boar brush (soaked in hot water while I showered) and proraso soap. Applying the lather over again before I run the razor over the same patch of skin, just like I would with a DE razor.
The first time I used a DE, I made the lather too watery and cut my face a lot, so didn't go back to a DE until I healed up a bit. So there's a lot you can do before you actualy get a DE razor

On the plus side, you are doing all the prep exactly the same, learning new habits will will result in less razor burn and irritation.
On the minus side, the M3 is nothing like a DE razor, as you are not worried about the angle and pressure, and there's little chance of nicks and cuts, so when you start with the real thing, there's still a huge learning curve.

In the end, the prep work you're learning is still worth something though, you still find out what soaps etc you like best and end up with a better shave, even if you stay with a M3..

Welcome to B&B! Since you have the advantage of starting young you have all the time in the world to get your technique right and a lot less stubble to tackle than most of us around here. :tongue: Find a good pre-shave routine that works for you, practice on your technique and learn to enjoy your shaves, everything else will fall into place.

Welcome to B&B. You are already way ahead of the curve for guys your age just by the fact that you are spending time here and putting together a decent shave kit for yourself. More importantly, you are asking questions. Don't sweat the M3 for now. You'll learn great technique that will have your face looking irritation-free while all of your buddies are sporting ingrown hairs and razor burn. In the end, you'll look better, feel better and probably smell better (trust me, you'll be looking for some good aftershave in no time). Pay attention to the B/S/T because PIFs come up once in awhile. Glad to have you board.

Musaab:
Welcome. FYI, cutlery stores and barber supply stores will often carry Merkur razors and blades, as well as soaps, creams and aftershaves. Garage sales and flea-markets will sometimes have vintage razors. Don’t give up the hunt, it’s part of the fun.
Good Luck
Doug

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement! I'll keep an eye out for a DE in a local flea-market of mine. There's also a little indoor shop there (a store, in a sense) that sells knives and blades. Maybe they carry some razors, too. Of course, you can't beat garage sales which are often right outside my door. :p

In any case, I think I'll stick to my M3 since I want the practice of making decent lather without any serious nicks and cuts. I'm personally used to the feel and weight of the razor, too.

Thanks for the tips, as well; I'll keep them all in mind. And Mainecanefan, I think I have a good idea on what aftershave I want now. :tongue:

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it!

I just realized what was missing. Where are your aftershaves?

You might want to check the reviews regarding the scents and sniff a few at the store, if you can. If you're close to Canada, and can cross the border easily, check out the Booster scents, and JM Fraser's shaving cream.

And you might want to snag some Clubman Talc.

Hello Musaab, Welcome to B&B. Glad to have you join us.

That was a very good introductory post. Well Done!

Read through the tutorials in the stickied thread at the top of this forum. Also, make sure that you view all of Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on YouTube on the net. These are really important for a new shaver.

Since you can't buy over the net, you'll just have to make do with local sources as the guys above recommended. The Bath & Body Works is a good source for the CO Bigelow branded Proraso cream. Walmart Double Edged blades are ok for starting out. Avoid the CVS and other drug store Gillette brand DE blades in the red packaging that are made in Russia. They are sub-par and at $10 for 10, are very expensive. The rest of your kit is just fine.

Musaab, keep us up with how you're doing. If you stick around and participate, after 15 posts I'll send you a Double Edge Gillette Superspeed from the 50's that is in excellent shape. This is free, as in at no cost. :w00t: But they have to be good posts though, none of the 'hello' or 'welcoming' stuff, or 'agreement' posts. Just post about your shaving progress.

I'm excited for you that you discovered wetshaving at a young age. I wasted decades, shaving poorly. I sure wish I had those years back.

When you hit 15 good posts, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll dispatch the razor and some blades off to you.

-- John Gehman

Musaab, I would imagine that there are some on this site that would accept a money order for a razor. I know that I would. I have a razor or 2 that you could choose from if interested. I don't know if I am able to sell on the forum yet and I am not advertising FS but would help you out if you need it. Send pm.
Mark

Welcome from another new member. I started shaving when 15 as well. So much more to chose from now than back in the 70's.

handlebar

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hi Musaab,

Welcome to B&B. Don't worry about your brush, it will be just fine. I like my old one like that which I still use occasionally. In my cartridge days I got pretty good shaves with several two bladed systems, but never had good luck with the Mach 3, so I can't offer much help with that. Using good lather will allow whatever system you use to work better. Especially with a multi blade cartridge, good lather will rinse from between the blades better.

I just realized what was missing. Where are your aftershaves?

You might want to check the reviews regarding the scents and sniff a few at the store, if you can. If you're close to Canada, and can cross the border easily, check out the Booster scents, and JM Fraser's shaving cream.

And you might want to snag some Clubman Talc.

Well, Detroit is as close as you can get in the U.S. if you want to sneak over the border, DER. :tongue:
My father often goes there for business trips. I'll ask him to get some if possible. Thanks for the info.

For now, I'm thinking of getting Nivea Sensitive Balm for my aftershave. Aqua Velva is also greatly raved around here, but I'm not sure the scent would suit my age. Does the Ice Sport variety have a more younger scent?

Musaab, keep us up with how you're doing. If you stick around and participate, after 15 posts I'll send you a Double Edge Gillette Superspeed from the 50's that is in excellent shape. This is free, as in at no cost. :w00t: But they have to be good posts though, none of the 'hello' or 'welcoming' stuff, or 'agreement' posts. Just post about your shaving progress.

I'm excited for you that you discovered wetshaving at a young age. I wasted decades, shaving poorly. I sure wish I had those years back.

When you hit 15 good posts, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll dispatch the razor and some blades off to you.

-- John Gehman

Oh, wow! I would really, really like that, but I don't think my parents would approve.
(You know how it is. :tongue:) But thank you so much for your kind generosity. I'm really taken back; I wasn't expecting such an offer. :blushing:

But—unless you want to sell or give it to someone else—if you could keep that offer in check for me in the future, I would be very much obliged.

I'm also glad I found this 'art' of manliness; I'm definitely not going spend my (somewhat) carefree teenage years with stubble on my face. :biggrin:

Thanks again. I'll be sure to continue to post about my experiences.

Musaab, I would imagine that there are some on this site that would accept a money order for a razor. I know that I would. I have a razor or 2 that you could choose from if interested. I don't know if I am able to sell on the forum yet and I am not advertising FS but would help you out if you need it. Send pm.
Mark

It would be convenient, I'm sure, since I don't have a credit or debit card.
At the moment, though, I'm fine. But if I'm interested in something, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Hey there, handlebar! And yeah, I think it's more easier to get imported items now than, say, the '60's or '70's before the rise of the Internet. Unfortunately, the net doesn't help our AD's. :lol:

I agree, OldSaw, lathering is possibly the most important (in my opinion) element in a good shave. Thanks for the welcome.

Musaab- If your parent's won't let you accept BroJohn's offer, stay tuned after the holiday season for the PIF I will offer- Tech, Derby's, Proraso Pre/Post, and a Boosters decant. You might just be able to start the New Year off right. There's a lot of generosity to be found on the boards, probably one of the most honorable places on the interwebs.

Oh, no, it's not that I can't accept BroJohn's offer, it's just that I might get questioned for the PIF itself. You know, the whole thing about "gifts from strangers" and "giving your home address" and such. (But I know you guys regularly help others, so you're not some total stranger. I trust you guys. :tongue:)

It sounds strange, I know, but I'll probably avoid the whole thing altogether.

I wish you luck with your PIF regardless, though! I'm really grateful for both yours and BroJohn's offers. Thanks.

Top Bottom