I recently found a Schick Injector with a gold head that needs just
a little polishing but from what I read a polish like Maas will strip off
the lacquer finish. Can anyone recommend a good polish that is safe
for gold finish razors??

Maas works excellent on silver/chrome finish
razors btw! :001_smile :001_smile

Thanx much,
Saully G.

If the plating is actually gold, it should not really need polishing. Gold does not oxidize like other metals. There is often a coating of lacquer over the gold plating on a razor. Polish will very quickly cut through this lacquer and then the plating itself.

The razor may just need a good cleaning with something like Scrubbing Bubbles or detergent and a soft toothbrush.

Regards,
Tom

Very good advice time. Never use polish on your Gold razors. A good cleaning will do wonders.
While we are on Gold razors, for you newbies reading this post, do not boil Gold razors either. You will melt the Lacquer coating.

Very good advice time. Never use polish on your Gold razors. A good cleaning will do wonders.
While we are on Gold razors, for you newbies reading this post, do not boil Gold razors either. You will melt the Lacquer coating.

...and Bleach. Do *NOT* use a bleach solution on a gold finish. I managed to ruin the finish of a very nice Aristocrat that way. :crying:

--John Gehman

so would a warm water and borax mix be an ok starting point to clean a 1934 gold aristocrat?

That should be ok but you will still probably need to help it with a soft toothbrush to get all the soap scum out of the tight areas and the knurling. The Scrubbing Bubbles is a great help with this. It is formulated specifically to get rid of soap scum.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom