What's new

First Feather blade today.

Don't know about the rest of you who are relatively new to DE shaving, but for me I have been hesitant to use the Feather blade based on what I have read here. Well this morning while walking the dogs I felt like I wanted to put a Feather in and see what happens. I loaded it in my Merkur Futur, followed my same hot towel and lathering routine and went to town. Not feeling any trepidation. I did try to use as little to no pressure as possible. I was amazed that I still have a face. The blade is SHARP, and pretty smooth on the face. I made my usual # of passes and clean up in the jaw/neck area that I do every day. And the results were very good, oh yes I did have a few more weepers, I usually don't draw any blood at all but had to use the styptic in a few places. No gushers for sure but weepers non the less. I think that using the blade will help me improve my technique. I am still going thru my sample pack and so far the Derby is #1 for my experience level, but I will use the feather again tomorrow.

Happy shaving, just wanted to share.

if you got weapers you used to much pressure...

i use feathers and the ASR blades in my older razors. if i don't pay attention on what blade i have in what razor i'll get weapers on the 3rd pass...

I am glad to hear some love for the Derby.

That is what I most generally use but I am trying others. When I first tried a Feather, I thought it was the best and was ready to sell all my Derby blades. Someone suggested I wait before I do that. Luckily I took the advice. I am not a big fan of Feathers.

I recently got a slant and am now going back through my blades. I am finding that the slant is more forgiving. Either that or I am being so extra careful (not normally like me though) and that is why I get less nicks with it.

It is time to replace my Swede from earlier this weak anyway so I am going to try the Feather tomorrow.

Used the Feather in my FatBoy this am. Didn't go as many passes as yesterday. Had a decent shave, no weepers but some stubble. I was giving my face a rest.
I am leaning heavily toward Str8s. I don't know how I can do "less pressure" but I think that maybe helium would help. Onward and forward. Thanks for the replys.

I find that Feathers "rock" in my milder razors, but the good old Derbys are just right in the Slant. Also - just my impression - but they seem to last longer in the Slant!

Though I have been reading about them on this forum, I never tried Feather Blades. Because of their reputation I finally just went ahead and ordered 100 of the suckers and will get them this coming week in the mail. I appreciated the post about using them in milder razors. I used a brand new Gillette 7 O'clock this morning in a NDC ball tech (nice heavy handle) and I was hoping it would be more aggressive- I felt it could have used a bit more spark however and was let down- so maybe the feather will keep it in my first string. (I happen to like the feel and look of the thing- this is one of those golden ball techs with the deep vertical indents in the handle.) I used an Isreali Personna in it before and did not remember it to be this disappointingly mild- the Feather might save it.

I also remember about a week ago someone posted a comment about how his ball tech razor loved Feather Blades. I will offer the same to mine and hope for the best. Thanks again for this thread.

I found Feather blades to be good in mild razors, like Feathers DE razors; but a Feather blade in EJs or Merkurs are too harsh for me. I prefer Persona's Med Prep blade for a sharp and comfortable blade in any razor.

It's 2012 and I just had my first Feather shave last night in a Merkur 25c. Tonight in honor of this fine double zombie thread I think I'll put it in my Gillette Long Comb New.

IMO the dangers of feathers are overstated.

Used feathers early-on in my de journey. No problems. Feathers may require better beard prep. DE fundamentals are more crucial. The resulting shaves are excellent. Relax and enjoy.

As a beginner, I found they worked great for me. In a mild razor (or even not so mild) with proper prep and being careful not rushing through your shave you'll be fine. Any blade can cut you if you don't do things right. The benefit of Feathers for me was that there was less going back over areas that weren't cut properly so in the end I got less skin irritation.

I really liked the first shave in my 25c, but the 2nd in my Gillette New wasn't so great. I've heard they tend to drop off fairly quickly, but one and done is too quick.
My next blade will stay in the same razor, same soap, etc. While I don't expect to reach 8 or so shaves like an Astra or Shark, I am hoping for more than one amazing shave.
Or they'll just be my one amazing shave blade for occasional use.

When I got my Progress last week they kept the Merkur blade in the box and out a Feather in for me to try and I got myself good on the chin. It's better now but after trying the Merkur blade instead get a better shave (so far...) This morning I put the Feather in my Y3 Super and it was a different shave, much smoother in the end and I'm still feeling good many hours later. Looks like some razors like'em, some don't.

Top Bottom