What's new

In the Hunt

I'm in the hunt for a new brush. Can't wait for the B&B brush cause I'm very impatient, and I only have one brush!

I'm currently using a Vulfix #2197 and am looking for something that's got a little more size but that's still practical (I don't need a fancy handle). My price range is $100 or less (shipping doesn't count). I'm happy with my brush but I feel I should branch out, try new things. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Suggestion 1: a Rooney Super Silvertip of whatever size you want. I really like this one and it's plenty big enough. The Rooney is a soft brush.

Suggestion 2: A less expensive Simpson---one of these that fits your budget. The Milk Churn is nice, for example.

Suggestion 3: An Omega via Amazon.com: do a search on "Omega Shaving Brush", and pick one of the badgers. It actually is sold by Perfect Beauty Supply, at a good price. Again, a softer brush.

Neither of the softer brushes---Rooney or Omega---is, IMHO, floppy.

tam.audio said:
I'm in the hunt for a new brush. Can't wait for the B&B brush cause I'm very impatient, and I only have one brush!

I'm currently using a Vulfix #2197 and am looking for something that's got a little more size but that's still practical (I don't need a fancy handle). My price range is $100 or less (shipping doesn't count). I'm happy with my brush but I feel I should branch out, try new things. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks
You've been a member for 5 months.... and only have one brush. Trust me.... you ARE patient!

Shavemac or Merkur silvertip, excellent quality silvertip for under $100. You will find both of these to be a step up from Vulfix in terms of quality, density, and softness. I can't comment about Simpsons, Rooney, etc. because I haven't tried them, so YMMV.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking, this Shavemac tickles my fancy. I particularly like the fact that it's rose wood and not a composite material. Any thoughts?

One of the 23mm Shavemacs or one of the smaller or medium diameter SR Silvertips. Both of fantastic brushes. But I'd probably lean towards the Shavemac if it were me. (I have both though and use and love them)

ALL I'm gonna say is this...

Savile Row from Charles at www.qedusa.com.

I dont own one yet but lemme tell ya, those who know swear by these !!
Bang for your buck you will not lose.
You can thank me later !!:cool:

I was considering the SR too, but then saw the great deal on the omega's via perfect beauty... I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on a green/gold 6215 silvertip... Incrediable price, and even MORE incrediable brush! I love that thing.. Feels so soft and luxorious compared to my old vulfix, but not floppy by any means. I wouldn't trade it for anything... though that doesn't mean I won't continue to aquire more brushes... :eek:

The Vulfix 2197 is virtually identical to the Vulfix I bought as my first "good" brush.

While I like the 2197, I find it a bit floppy (don't mind the scritchy factor) and I now only use it for creams and shave sticks - it was never great for soaps (other than the shave sticks).

My next brush was a Simpson Rover in pure - a small, short, dense brush that I bought specifically for using with soaps - something it excels at (its no slouch with creams either). The Simpson's are very dense brushes.

Finally, I recently acquired a Saville Row silvertip (22mm). This is a fantastic brush - I got a good deal from a B&B member on a gently used model and would likely have purchased the 18mm or 20mm if buying new. This brush works well with soaps and excels with creams because, while quite soft, its also dense and not at all floppy. Some people swear that the SRs are made by Shavemac - while I don't know, I do know that their pricing is comparable and all of the SR handle styles are available at Shavemac. One benefit with ordering the SR is that its supplied by QED in the US, so you won't have to deal with Fish & Wildlife.

I like all of these brushes, but am considering a Shavemac in finest - I actually prefer a slightly scritchy, dense brush and think the finest grade is an excellent value.

You've said you want to branch out, but haven't said which direction you want to go in. If you want to try a very dense brush, then you may want to try a Simpson (if you do, speak to or e-mail Lee at Lees Razors, tell him you're a B&B member and he'll set you up (don't just pay the price advertised on his website - he discounts), alternately go to one of the many other vendors who sell these brushes.

If you want to try a silvertip, then I highly recommend the SR line from QED. The one thing to note is that silvertips seem much bigger than a similar width knot of pure or best/finest, which may factor into your purchase decision. I know my 22mm silvertip feels bigger than my 2197, which is the same diameter in pure. You can buy a 22mm silvertip from QED or Shavemac for about $100. The benefit with the Shavemac being that you could order a custom brush for this price - which means you get to pick the colour and style of the handle.

Finally, If you want to try something in the middle, then you could go to the SR pure or super line - very good value and you could get two brushes for under $100. Alternately, you could go with a Shavemac in finest - a custom brush will run about $70 (a pure is about $55 and a silvertip is $100). There have been several posts about the various grades of Shavemac hair and Dinder has several posts with great pictures of his Shavemacs (one in each grade) so that you can read more.

The other thing about the Shavemacs and SR silvertips is that they have a lightbulb-shaped head, which is different than the more common flat head. My experience is that the lightbulb shape improves the stifness/denseness/firmness of a brush and is what makes my SR silvertip both soft and firm/not floppy at the same time.

Shavemac also offers machine-made brushes at great prices (pure - $25 and finest - $40), but they only come in the flat head style and will be scratchier, as they are trimmed to shape, so the tips have been cut,as oposed to being shaped by had, which allows the brushmaker to arrange the head so that the tapered end of the hair is at the tip. However, these do represent great value.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I thought this might help you decide the direction you want to take.

If I had to recommend a great second brush to someone on a limited budget, I'd suggest the Shavemac in finest - a great manufacturer and what I think is the grade of hair that represents the best price/value. If the person really wanted to try a silvertip, then I'd go with the Shavemac or SR. Finally if the person wanted a very dense, scrubby brush, I'd suggest a Simpson - and would tell them to ask Lee or others on the board for their recommendations for models in the right price range (I've asked Lee this question and he suggested the Duke 2 in best).

So there you have it, my $0.02 and then some!

Suzuki said:
I like all of these brushes, but am considering a Shavemac in finest - I actually prefer a slightly scritchy, dense brush and think the finest grade is an excellent value.

Have you tried the Finest? I have one and could not agree more that it is a fantastic value. And dense it is, relatively speaking. But I find it not the least scritchy. So if you like that scritchy, scrubby feel, maybe think about the pure, if you haven't tried it. Unfortunately I have not either, but I hear very promising things from Dinder....

-Mo

moses said:
Have you tried the Finest? I have one and could not agree more that it is a fantastic value. And dense it is, relatively speaking. But I find it not the least scritchy. So if you like that scritchy, scrubby feel, maybe think about the pure, if you haven't tried it. Unfortunately I have not either, but I hear very promising things from Dinder....

-Mo

I haven't tried the finest and as for whether to get a finest or pure, I'll likely get one of each!

I actually have a note into Bernd to see if they can do a custom brush in something smaller than 23mm.

I may also go with a custom finest and a machine made pure, depending on the mood I'm in and how badly I want a matching pair or a lightbulb shaped pure brush.

Thanks for all the help. I think I have narrowed it down to three... I think:biggrin:

It's such a hard decision, it may be a while before I get a third brush and I don't want to make a poor decision.

Top Bottom