Thread: Dirtybird Shaving Scuttle

Default Dirtybird Shaving Scuttle

I recently got a shaving scuttle from Julie Moore at Dirtybird Pottery in Virginia. First let me say that I inquired about the optional 2 piece scuttle. She got back to me very promptly and told me that there was no extra charge for the 2 piece. Julie also told me that I would have one in around three weeks from when I placed the order.
    I placed my order for the scuttle and a matching shaving mug, and recieved them both in less than three weeks.
    I am very pleased with the scuttle. It has a generously sized deep lather bowl that sits immersed in plenty of hot water. It has spiral grooves formed into it (I hear you can get starburst type grooves also) and building a good lather is easy. It keeps the lather nice and hot for at least twenty minutes.
    It is a very nicely made, attractive piece of pottery that is as funtional as it is handsome.
    Albuquerque Mike

Default Great Scuttle

Sarah at Dirtybird is great to deal with. The blue glaze looks even better in person and this thing is a heavy monster. I already dinged it once off the faucet and no chip or crack can be found (probably did more damage to the sink). I warm with first with hot tap water and let my brush soak and then dump that a refill with boiling water right out of the kettle. Keeps brush and lather warm for 4 passes. The only complaint is that I prefer a larger lather bowl to do my work in but I can still get the job done here just not the same practice as with a large bowl. Still an everyday item for me.
    "In desperation I tried the old Flashman triple pass a sudden thrust at the face, a tremendous kick at his essentials, and a full-blooded downward cut" - Sir Harry

Images

Default Very Happy with my DB scuttle

I recently received mine - same blue glaze, spiral swirl on the inner cup.

Very nice heft, easily to fill, builds lather well.

I rated a 9 for quality - it is really great, except that there are some rough spots in the glaze inside the cup (feels similar to a few grains of sand being embedded in the glaze). It's not a big deal but they shouldn't be there.

I rated a 9 for performance because the cup is a little narrow for my liking. I am able to make plenty of lather, but using more pumping motion than whipping.

Julie personalized mine with my initials and an anchor symbol for only a few dollars extra. Delivery was within 2-3 weeks.

Default Great tool for anyone

I just today received my custom made Dirty Bird. I requested 1.5 x the normal size and what i received was exactly what i wanted. I also requested a Horizontal/Vertical inside groove pattern, almost like a spiderweb design and again, it's just like i envisioned it. Price is quite a little on the high side, but overall, for a custom made piece of pottery, which is durable and with outstanding quality, i am more than willing to pay some more than usual.

Oh yeah, performance......EXCELLENT! Making lather is a piece of cake and due to it's extra size, i have no problems with even my bigger brushes. Of course, the lather stays nice and warm for quite a long time, at least more than long enough to finish my shaves, so overall, this is a

A+ Product!

I am just blown away by this newly arrived knock out of a scuttle . At first I thought Julie had accidentally mailed me a double size scuttle recently listed on her website. After I saw that big boy here on B&B, I was worried the standard size scuttle might be too small. Boy was I wrong. Plenty of room in this one to build a mountain of lather in the bowl.

I had to weigh and measure it before I realized that what I had in my hands was the standard model scuttle. It weighs in at just a fraction over two pounds. Width is 7 inches from spout to handle. Inner bowl 3 across and 2 deep which is slightly larger than the website specs.I ordered mine with spiral and vertical grooves in the bowl.

This scuttle is one beautiful piece of ceramic art. I picked Dirty Bird because their products are individually hand thrown. (unlike the GTS which are mold made) So no two scuttles are finished exactly alike and the size & color variations make each one-of-a-kind unique. Thats one of the things I like, that my scuttle is unique. It was obviously made by a lady who knows how to cater to a masculine audience.God! That Julie has some talent!
    Last edited by nifty; 02-12-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lackluster dave View Post
    I recently received mine - same blue glaze, spiral swirl on the inner cup.

Very nice heft, easily to fill, builds lather well.

I rated a 9 for quality - it is really great, except that there are some rough spots in the glaze inside the cup (feels similar to a few grains of sand being embedded in the glaze). It's not a big deal but they shouldn't be there.

I rated a 9 for performance because the cup is a little narrow for my liking. I am able to make plenty of lather, but using more pumping motion than whipping.

Julie personalized mine with my initials and an anchor symbol for only a few dollars extra. Delivery was within 2-3 weeks.
    Update: after a few weeks of use the "rough spots" have mostly gone away.

Default DB LARGE Scuttle and Lather Bowl

I just received this scuttle in LARGE with both vertical and horizontal ridges in one piece. It is excellent! I am very happy that I went with the Large size. Julie is excellent to deal with. I also had her make me an extra bowl of the same size. Here they are with my Stubby 2 and some Proraso along with my Merkur 38C for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MasterP; 03-12-2009 at 12:34 PM.

I just got my DirtyBird about a week ago.
    I love the thing, it really works well at keeping the lather warm. It feel nice and heavy and durable. The vertical ridges really help whip up the lather quickly. It looks quite beautiful as well.

The recommendation I have is to get both the horizontal and vertical ridges. I mistakingly asked for vertical ridges thinking that they would be added to the horizontal ridges, but all I got was vertical ridges. So I recommend that you specify that you want BOTH vertical and horizontal. Regardless it still performs great.

I highly recommend this product to anyone!

I just recieved my scuttle from Mrs. Moore and I am very pleased with the results.

Simply fill the bottom chamber with boiling water, create your lather, and enjoy.

I kept lather hot for 5 passess with time to spare.

An important tip: Make sure you get the scuttle hot using boiling water. Then when the scuttle has sucked up some heat replace the water with fresh boiling water. This will ensure you have hot lather your entire shave.

I strongly recommend this scuttle.

-Brightonrock

EDIT: Just for clarity I am using the one piece regular sized scuttle.

Smile Dirty Bird (reg size)

Great product, it was a an easy decision to choose this scuttle over the others. I can't imagine having to lather in a a seperate bowl and then transfering it over to the scuttle. Julie was a pleasure to deal with. I would recommend this product.

Soakin.

Some TOBS Sandalwood and my Rooney 3/1 Super

Horizontal+Vertical Lines=Lather Machine

Merkur HD and Rooney with the DB

Different angle

I love this thing, keeps my lather so nice and warm, hold ~25oz of water, i let it soak (filling the water chamber and inner bowl) while i shower then refill the water chamber with more hot water and go to town, the size is inbetween the two on the website, giving it a ~4.5in diameter for the inner shaving bowl, and i requested a little more of the white finish as apposed to the darker blue, so if you order one with just hte blue glaze or see other pictures you will notice the darker blue ring will come up a little higher than mine does.... the woman making them was very nice on the phone with helping me come out with exactly what i wanted!

Default Dirty Bird 1 piece Scuttle 1.5X

I read a lot of reviews on scuttles and decided to buy the Dirty Bird 1.5X size. I think it's wonderful! The size is perfect for bowl lathering. I use hot water from sink(measured at 125F) and it keeps the lather very warm for the entire shave. I pre-heat the bowl while I shower as others have mentioned. I suggest anyone thinking about this to try it out - you won't regret it one bit.

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

Default Dirty Birs Scuttle 1.5

I just received my Dirty Bird scuttle from Julie today. This is one fine piece of shaving gear, and I rated it 10's across the board. The one I have has the ridges just like the one's on the photo's above.

I had ordered the regular size Dirty Bird a few weeks before this post. When it arrived the handle had been broken during shipment. I contacted Julie right away and told her about the scuttle being broken. She emailed me back within the hour and told me that she would make me another. I didn't have to contact UPS, the postal system or anything. She didn't even want me to send the broken one back. She just told me that she's making me a new one, and that if I could somehow use the broken one to go ahead and do so. Now that's what I call customer service done the right way.

I was able to use the scuttle, only the handle was broken, and it made some very fine lather. I did realize that the regular size scuttle was a bit on the smaller size, so I emailed Julie and asked her if she would update my order to the 1.5 size scuttle. She replied right back, very nice, as few companies take care of business like this, and told me no problem. Since the regular size was already paid for, all I needed to do was add another $12 to the order and I'd have my 1.5.

The entire process, from ordering, to the problem with the broken scuttle, to changing my order, was handled in a most professional and caring manner by Julie. I'd do business with her again in the future, and the Dirty Bird scuttle is a very nice piece of shave gear.
    Last edited by dpmtherrien; 02-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Default A great addition to my morning routine

I have been using my 1.5 Dirtybird scuttle for about a week now, and I have to say it is fantastic. I have the brown glaze, and it looks great in my bathroom. I fill the top and bottom bowls with hot tap water and let my brush soak in the top one while I shower. I then empty the bowls and fill the bottom one again with hot tap water. I swirl my brush a bit on a puck of soap and then whip up a lather in the bowl (I have only horizontal lines, and it works great for me). The scuttle keeps my lather very warm for my 3-4 pass shave.

Just a beautiful product - one I will enjoy using every day.

Scott
    -"If you don't believe there's a price for this sweet paradise, just remind me to show you the scars." -Bob Dylan.

I'll add my critique before it gets buried in the General Shaving Discussion thread. It rates a perfect score from me because it does everything it is supposed to do.

Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle
    I both used and tested the Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small scuttle; Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle; Moss Large scuttle; Schwarzweisskeramik Small scuttle; Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle.

They all work well, and the final decision should be a matter of personal taste. I heated 3 cups of water in my microwave oven for 4 minutes for a temperature of 165 degrees F. The water is then poured into the scuttle to test heat retention.

Note: in communicating with members, this one seems to have received the most favorable comments. Some have, and some haven't, had experience with the other scuttles.

I also read glowing comments about the customer service over there, and you can tell by the differences in the scuttles pictured here how receptive this vendor is to special requests. I made no special requests, so consider mine as a sample of the standard fare at Dirty Bird Pottery.

Fast Facts:

* Purchase Price: $54.00
    * Purchased from: Dirty Bird Pottery
    * Special features:
    * Reservoir capacity: 13.5 ounces
    * Primary strength: wide lathering area
    * Primary weakness:

Heat retention (165-degree water initially introduced into scuttle):

* After 5 minutes: 143 degrees F
    * After 10 minutes: 138 degrees F
    * After 15 minutes: 133 degrees F
    * After 20 minutes: 130 degrees F
    * After 25 minutes: 125 degrees F

Dimensions of scuttle:

* Height: 3 3/8"
    * Base width: 4 7/16"
    * Width on top: 5 9/16" (6 5/8" with spout)
    * Inside diameter of lathering area: 4 5/16"
    * Depth of lathering area: 2 1/2"
    * Texture of lathering surface: an endless string starting at the bottom, winding its way to the top

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    I'll add my critique before it gets buried in the General Shaving Discussion thread. It rates a perfect score from me because it does everything it is supposed to do.

Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle
    I both used and tested the Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small scuttle; Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle; Moss Large scuttle; Schwarzweisskeramik Small scuttle; Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle.

They all work well, and the final decision should be a matter of personal taste. I heated 3 cups of water in my microwave oven for 4 minutes for a temperature of 165 degrees F. The water is then poured into the scuttle to test heat retention.

Note: in communicating with members, this one seems to have received the most favorable comments. Some have, and some haven't, had experience with the other scuttles.

I also read glowing comments about the customer service over there, and you can tell by the differences in the scuttles pictured here how receptive this vendor is to special requests. I made no special requests, so consider mine as a sample of the standard fare at Dirty Bird Pottery.

Fast Facts:

* Purchase Price: $54.00
    * Purchased from: Dirty Bird Pottery
    * Special features:
    * Reservoir capacity: 13.5 ounces
    * Primary strength: wide lathering area
    * Primary weakness:

Heat retention (165-degree water initially introduced into scuttle):

* After 5 minutes: 143 degrees F
    * After 10 minutes: 138 degrees F
    * After 15 minutes: 133 degrees F
    * After 20 minutes: 130 degrees F
    * After 25 minutes: 125 degrees F

Dimensions of scuttle:

* Height: 3 3/8"
    * Base width: 4 7/16"
    * Width on top: 5 9/16" (6 5/8" with spout)
    * Inside diameter of lathering area: 4 5/16"
    * Depth of lathering area: 2 1/2"
    * Texture of lathering surface: an endless string starting at the bottom, winding its way to the top
    I ordered my 1.5 scuttle from Julie last week. Have not yet received it, but I wanted to add my 2c regarding her customer service. I've seen others post that Julie responded to questions "promptly". I'll be a bit more specific.
    I asked Julie about the difference between the regular ridge and web ridge. She responded within an hour or two, answering my questions.
    After placing my order, Julie sent me an email, which I received 2 hours later, thanking me for my purchase and informing me that she would send the scuttle "hot out of the kiln within 3-4 weeks."
    I am eagerly awaiting delivery and will post a full review forthwith.

Default Dribble Port!

Just received my dribble port equipped 1.5 Dirty Bird scuttle, and I couldn't be happier. Had a great shave this evening: nice warm lather, plenty of space for my Omega 49, and the dribble port really works. The size of the port is just perfect for adding small amounts of water to the mix.

Note: my first scuttle arrived broken, and Julie had the replacement at my door in three days!

Beautiful, functional object, great service.

Jeff
    Last edited by Sfbagger; 02-07-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Default Followup to my earlier review

I ordered my 1.5 DB scuttle with web grooves on Jan 31. After the longest 16 days in my life I received the scuttle yesterday. Christened it today with better than expected results. I used Conk's Bay Rum soap, my Jagger best brush, and my 1969 Gillette SS. I followed my SOP -- water in scuttle, scuttle in microwave for 3 minutes, shower, lather, shave.

For reasons that I won't even try to explain, whipping up a wonderful lather was accomplished in less than a minute, with a minor mishap. I've been having a lot of trouble working with the Conk's, so I stopped squeezing the excess water out of my brush. Big mistake in this scuttle, as my lather turned out to be a bit runny. Problem solved by adding just a tad of TOBS cream. About 30 seconds later, I had a rich thick properly hydrated lather.

AND MY LATHER WAS PERFECTLY HEATED. I put this in caps because warm lather has been (until now) elusive and rare. Before today, my only solution was to keep my mug on an electric candle warmer to keep the water from cooling off while I was in the shower. This method was spotty at best. I can happily say that I will nowdiscard the warmer (which is fortunate because the scuttle is a MONSTER and doesn't fit on the warmer).

My only criticism is the monster size of this thing, which is nobody's fault except mine. I convinced myself that the normal size would be too small. Then again, I've been using my medium sized brush instead of mylarger silvertip, which may be too large for the regular sized scuttle. In any case, the size is not a major issue for me, just more surprised at how big it actually is.

I would recommend Julie to anyone, and am about to send her an email to that effect.

There are probably more artistic looking bowls out there, but I doubt that you'll find better craftsmanship or functionality at any price.

I watched a YouTube vid of one of these being made and have been contemplating getting one ever since. Looking for some advice on which one to order. Reading through these posts, I see some considerations on the overall size and the pattern of grooves. I don't want mine to be any bigger than it needs to be, so am wondering if the standard size will be OK. Also, how about the groove pattern? Is the regular spiral groove adequate? I see some posts about filling the scuttle with boiling water. I don't plan to do that, just hot water from the tap. My shaves don't usually take more than about 10 minutes, so I'm guessing that the lather will stay reasonably warm during that time.