What's new

Discussion thread for Highland Soap Co. Natural Shaving Soap.

A very nice, well thought-out & comprehensive review. I was thinking of trying this soap out but I think that after reading this review, I'll pass.

Have you tried Arran Aromatics' Bay Citrus shaving soap? It's a veggie-based, triple-milled (I think) soap and quite a good one at that. I'm not crazy about the scent -- not quite sure how to describe it -- but it's gone when the shave is done. It's easy to produce a nice, slick lather that allows you to cut close, and quite comfortably. If you're looking for a quality shaving soap produced by a UK-based, artisanal soap maker this could be it.

For what its worth, I don't think the poor lather is entirely the olive oil's fault. I've tried making cold process shaving soap and have tried a few that others have made with a variety of different oils, some containing olive oil and some not, and have yet to find a combination that will provide sustainable lather. They all seem to provide a decent but unsatisfying shave.

A very nice, well thought-out & comprehensive review. I was thinking of trying this soap out but I think that after reading this review, I'll pass.

Have you tried Arran Aromatics' Bay Citrus shaving soap? It's a veggie-based, triple-milled (I think) soap and quite a good one at that. I'm not crazy about the scent -- not quite sure how to describe it -- but it's gone when the shave is done. It's easy to produce a nice, slick lather that allows you to cut close, and quite comfortably. If you're looking for a quality shaving soap produced by a UK-based, artisanal soap maker this could be it.

I have Arran Aromatic's Bay Citrus Shaving Soap, it is one of my favourites overall, and it is my favourite non-tallow soap along with Tade. I don't mind the scent personally, I would describe it as light woods with ozonic citrus undertones, like you say not overpowering, but it works very nicely under Caldey Island A/S and cologne.
On the subject of Scots shaving soaps, if you're interested, there is also a shaving soap produced by the Shetland Island Soap Co. It's scented with Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Peppermint. I haven't used it yet because I've been testing the Highland Soap Co. product, but I'll get to it soon.

For what its worth, I don't think the poor lather is entirely the olive oil's fault. I've tried making cold process shaving soap and have tried a few that others have made with a variety of different oils, some containing olive oil and some not, and have yet to find a combination that will provide sustainable lather. They all seem to provide a decent but unsatisfying shave.

You're right, there are other ingredients that are detrimental to the quality of lather, people often cite Cocoa Butter as another problematic ingredient. But, I've always found Olive Oil to be particularly problematic, anyone who has tried the soap produced by Riana will tell you just how bad it can get. What I refer to as the fizzle of doom in the review is something I almost always get with Olive Oil soaps.
Just out of interest, do you use any emulsifiers or surfactants when you've made your own CP soaps? I find that 100% natural soaps really struggle with poor water quality because they don't include any additional lathering agents. Using R/O filter water helped a great deal with the Highland Soap Co. product, but does nothing for truly awful soaps like Bay Shave and the aforementioned Riana.

I looked at the Shetland Soap one (my local pharmacy sold it) - but held off buying when I checked out the ingredients list - looked like a melt & pour glycerin at first glance...

I have a Highland Soap Co one to try - but it's not surfaced yet in my multiyear trial of soap, sticks & creams :rolleyes:

Word. Riana blows as a shaving soap. :prrr: Pretty good body soap, tho.

Ditto - a bunch of the mods tried the Riana out - with universally lousy results.

Very similar situation to what AJS describes with this soap - you get lather that promply disappears, but the soap is slick and moisturizing - so long as you apply lather as you go.

If you are desperate to try olive oil soap for shaving, grab a block of savon de marseilles or KMF and give it a go - at least you won't have a $15 bath soap at the end of the day.

While olive oil may not be a great primary ingredient for shaving soap, I've got some balms with some olive oil in them and quite like them.

Meant to post this earlier but forgot, the ingredients list for the Shetland Soap Co. Shaving Soap: Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Vegetable Glycerine, Sodium Laurate, Sorbitol, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Sodium Lauryl Suphate, Sodium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cera Alba, Cornflour, Aloe Barbadensis, Cinnamon and Clove Spices, Limonene, Eucalyptus Grandis, Menthol.
Although they advertise natural products, you have to look for products which are tagged 100% natural, which obviously this soap isn't. I wonder why terrorists and drug factories go to all the trouble of ordering ingredients to make bombs and drugs when most of what they would need is already contained in this soap.
I never really got caught up in the SLS hysteria, so I'll reserve judgement until I've actually used it properly.

Normally I prefer to go through the weekend without shaving and enjoy an unhurried shave on Monday morning, however, I've got too many soaps to get through at the moment so I've had to shake things up a little.
I tried the Shetland Soap Co. product this morning and I have to say that I'm impressed. I'm still not 100% happy with the crystal meth lab in a soap ingredients list, and there's no way I'd want this soap anywhere near a naked flame, but the lather I got was impressive to say the least. A lot thicker than anything I've ever gotten off of other glycerine soaps. Looked kind of thin at first but it exploded without warning (the lather, not the soap) and there was lather everywhere, very profuse indeed.
I like to try products for a decent amount of time before commenting on them, but the initial impression is very encouraging.
One odd thing about the soap is that despite containing both Eucalyptus and Peppermint there is no cooling sensation when the lather is on the face.

Alex:

Did you try the Shetland Original or the Filskit Brute? The description of the Original includes references to increased testosterone, so I was just curious.

Alex:

Did you try the Shetland Original or the Filskit Brute? The description of the Original includes references to increased testosterone, so I was just curious.

I got the original one which is Cinnamom, Clove, Eucalyptus and Peppermint. It's pretty nice actually, the Highland Soap Co. product left me feeling quite anxious about this one, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. Testosterone is one of the few things that isn't in the ingredients list though:lol: Not that I need any extra,of course:rolleyes:

Top Bottom